Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scotartt, Sep 18, 2020.

1. scotartt

scotartt Squier Talker

Sep 18, 2020
    Red Hill QLD AU
    Hi there, new user here.

I've got a "California Series" Squier Tele; this is apparently an 'asian only' (or asia-pacific) series which I bought new in the early to mid 2000s I think. I'm a keyboard & bass player, I just had this for ages in those cases when I needed a guitar for my own productions.

In recent times I've been doing more playing, trying to "git gud" at guitar, and I've also been experimenting with fixing it up to sound better. Its clean sound was always ok, as soon as you put overdrive on it it was bloody awful sounding. My first upgrade has been a set of Fender Noiseless pickups, which made a big BIG difference over the bar magnet junk that was in it.

Now I'm thinking about the replacing the bridge because one of the saddle screws is stuffed -- I had to intonate it by adding an additional spring on the outside of the bridge because the saddle intonation adjustment screw is cross-threaded or otherwise busted and won't tighten up (or loosen now!) correctly.

Anyway I've always loved the sound and shape of the telecaster, that's why I got one.

mitch_cumsteen, drewcp, corn and 7 others like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome to Squier-Talk. Pictures of your gear would be nice. We don't discriminate, we like pictures of all gear.

3. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Welcome! Apparently it's "California Series" week here at ST :)

4. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Welcome in @scotartt , thanks for joining us...

6. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Hi and welcome to ST. Telecasters are a good thing for sure.

Kenneth Mountain and scotartt like this.
  7. scotartt

scotartt Squier Talker

Sep 18, 2020
    Red Hill QLD AU
    Somebody asked for pics, happy to oblige!

Here it is with the pickups fitted. There's a slight misalignment with the neck pickup, using the original holes in the body for the old pickups, it doesn't quite align with the carve in the pick guard, that's why I've not put all the pick guard screws back in. I'm gonna rectify that later today -- probably by drilling new holes in the pick guard and mounting the pickup on that. third picture you can see the busted intonation screw (and the super-bodgy fix I applied) on the 'D' string in the bridge. The sticker on the pick guard covers a discolouration that appeared because I did not remove the "Squier" sticker for a few years and when I did, it left a nice big bright white circle on it :-/

I think I'm gonna buy a new pick guard from stew mac, those ones have the holes for mounting the pick up in the guard ... but should I get black or white?

IMG_0218.JPG IMG_3982.JPG IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3834.JPG

Luvs2yoko, drewcp, corn and 5 others like this.
  8. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I would replace that saddle and leave everything else alone. Pick guard is good, neck pup is good. If you just have to have a new pick guard, look up musiclily on ebay. They will fit.

9. scotartt

scotartt Squier Talker

Sep 18, 2020
    Red Hill QLD AU
    I'm not sure if this is totally visible in the photo, but the pick-guard pushes the pickup slightly toward the bridge and the top of the pickup is angled. This is re-using the original holes in the body. The misalignment of the holes is so slight, that drilling a new pair in the body would mean they are too close to the original holes, so would need to be wood-filled and re-drilled. So for the moment, I will drill the holes in the pick guard and mount the PU on the guard, like the replacement guards seem to mostly have (at least the eight hole ones that I've seen).

I've seen musiclily on amazon, might have a look at that. I wasn't sure if it was good stuff or just the lowest quality junk ... amazon and eBay can sometimes be a bit of a hit or miss like that!

IMG_7050.JPG

CVSteve, drewcp, cool gouhl and 2 others like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
  11. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
  12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Welcome to Squier Talk !

CVSteve and scotartt like this.
  13. gmt124

gmt124 Squier-Meister

Aug 11, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Hi Scotartt and welcome aboard the ST, nice looking Tele.

14. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  15. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Welcome.
    There is something about a white guard on a white guitar that just works...
    That being said, black guards on white guitars look good as well.

16. scotartt

scotartt Squier Talker

Sep 18, 2020
    Red Hill QLD AU
    thanks! my tele is pale yellow tho ;) and i bought TWO guards to compensate for the cheap price on eBay. one black and one ... like this
    Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 00.52.11 .png Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 00.52.33 .png

17. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    looks like a faded (UV) white, not saying you're wrong, just what it looks like to me.
    My LP was bright white (Alpine White) but has faded...
    DSCN2035.JPG
    My 2003 MIA Strat (Olympic White) has faded as well...
    20200419_221601.jpg

So you can see where I may have made the mistake in color.

My opinion remains the same regardless of the colors name...
    Either White or Black would be a classic look on your guitar IMO.
    If you decide to go with Tort, I'd go with a darker tort^^^

I hope you're happy however you decide.

18. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking tele. I think the adjustment screws in the pickguard is the better way to go anyway, it's a pain to have to take the pickguard off to adjust the height of the pickup.

19. scotartt

scotartt Squier Talker

Sep 18, 2020
    Red Hill QLD AU
    Oh, yeah, I totally got that its colour is "meant" to look like a "vintage" butterscotch blonde, but it definitely came out of the shop with the swing tags on it when i bought it looking very yellow. ;)

We'll see out of those two pick guards I got whether the "tiger stripe orange" (as described on eBay) or the more sober 3-ply black is the better looking. I am not so hung up on making it look like an authentic 50's Tele even though I do prefer clean "classic" looks for just about everything in life: guitars, cars, and other important items (I'm trying hard but I can't think of any others ... :p ...).

Kenneth Mountain and CVSteve like this.