Hi. Here are my Squiers, and some context.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BarnyardShark1979, Sep 5, 2020.

1. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My first Squier
    is a CY99 red Affinity Strat with rosewood fretboard purchased at a Guitar Center in San Antonio, TX by my dad while I was at Basic Training for the United States Air Force in October of 1999, when joining the military was marketed more as a skills-for-employment/money-for-college thing than an actual fighting-wars/risking-death-and-dismemberment thing. He bought it because the answer to his question "what do you miss?" during one of the bootcamp phone calls wasn't "pepperoni rolls" or whatever, it was "my guitar". But my guitar was a USA Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster, it stayed at home in Ohio, and that made sense to me. During the pre-Graduation Parade hangout-with-the-family-at-a-picnic-table time my dad presented me with the red Squier strat with the big, awesome/cartoony headstock.

When I had I played about everything I could think to play on it, a guy from my brother-flight in the barracks upstairs came over with puppydog eyes on and his family behind him. "Hey, man, like, if you get bored with that or..." and we passed the guitar back and forth, bonding for the remaining 18 minutes or so before it was back to bootcamp. In that time we discovered we were both headed to Monterey CA to learn languages at the Defense Language Institute to become linguists for the USAF. We were best friends in California, and the house on Fort Ord in which he and his wife lived was where I met my first wife. And to this day he is one of my closest friends.

This Strat has been covered with Black Flag and FEAR and similar stickers because I was "totally punk rock" when I was 19. It has 13s on it and is currently tuned to C and the bridge pickup doesn't work, and I probably haven't picked it up other than to move it in 5 years, but now that the basement is a workspace instead of an obstacle course I plan on reviving it.

13druber, proT20, corn and 17 others like this.
  2. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My Second Squier is an IC99 blue Affinity Strat with a maple fretboard. It was purchased from a music shop in Monterey CA by a classmate at DLI who asked me to help her pick out a guitar to learn on. Since I was happy with my Squier Affinity Strat, I advised her to get a Squier Affinity Strat. She bought it, along with a tuner/gig bag/strap/cable for around $140 total or something. I wrote down chords and scales for her and gave her a few lessons in our free time, but after a few weeks her interests shifted towards fake lightsaber fights with the installation's cadre of Phantom Menace fanboys, so I got that guitar and all the accoutrements off her for $80.

At some point before language school graduation my future ex-wife and I hit up the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Right before this happened, another friend of mine who didn't stay in the Air Force too long gave me a sugar cube. While at the gift shop in the Monterey Bay Aquarium I bought some sequin-pattern prismic shark stickers which I later plastered all over the front of this guitar. It looks okay now, but it looked WHHOOOAAAHHH that day.

At some point between 2003 and 2005 I bought a soldering iron and put a Duncan Designed Scorcher Rails pickup in the bridge position, and that sounded loud and heavy, until some time in 2006 when my high school buddy/band mate was visiting from where he lived at the time (NC? NY? England? He bounced around a lot back then) to record some songs. Halfway through a track all signal from that guitar ceased and the recording was completed with a substitute.

That guitar sat in the rack, untouched for a few years, a divorce and 2 moves later, until 2014 when I decided I was going to get a GuitarFetish pre-wired SSH pickguard and bring it back to life. Got the pickguard. Removed the old pickguard. Realized that I had forgotten somehow that the guitar did not have a swimming pool route, so the humbucker wouldn't fit into the cavity. Also, none of the screw-holes lined up. Pickguard went back in the box, box went on a shelf, guitar went back in the rack.

One more move and a marriage later, it sits waiting to be revived in the rack in my basement. Now that the basement isn't a disaster area, I have plans for taking a second whack at reviving it.

speelyei, Shiloh77, Ally67 and 12 others like this.
  3. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My Third Squier is an IC00 charcoal-sparkle Standard Precision Bass Special V. I picked it up at a Guitar Center in Towson, Maryland used for $200 some time around 2002 or 2003 I think. I figured it would be useful for recording parts on songs where the guitars were tuned down to C# ("Sabbath" tuning). Lots of space between the strings, you could land a jet on the fretboard. It's, like, ridiculously wide. Definitely different from the only other bass I owned at the time, which is a Fender Precision Bass Lyte with it's skinny little JB neck.

I don't usually pick this bass up when I feel like thumping on a bass because it's heavy, and for the most part my attitude is "4 strings were enough for James Jamerson, Dee Dee Ramone, Duff McKagan, and Cliff Burton, 4 strings are enough for me" and I've always kinda associated 5-string basses with, like, I dunno, the Emeril Live Band or something. No disrespect, just not my particular taste. But I still like it and it has come in useful on some tracks where I didn't feel like down-tuning the Fender or the Ibanez TRB50 that I keep at the practice space these days.

4. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My Fourth Squier is an IC04 black/chrome Standard Telecaster, which I bought at a Guitar Center in either Rockville or Towson, new, in '04 or '05, and I think I actually paid the full $250 +/- on it because it looked so cool. It's currently still my only Tele, although not for long, my dad has a Glen Burton that he's handing over next time we see each other.

In 2011 my girlfriend (now wife) told me that a friend/colleague from UMBC and her husband were moving up from the DC area into an apartment 2 blocks from ours in downtown Baltimore. She said that there was a picture of an upright bass in their facebook photos, and since her friend's husband was a musician and I was a musician, we were going to be friends and they would be the couple that we could go out to dinner with and talk about all the couple things that couples talk about. OK.

The upright bass kinda made me nervous. I thought "This guy is going to be a Mingus-head, he's going to take one look at me with my power chords and shitty Johnny Thunders licks and think 'Who the hell is this rube? He can't follow changes for ****.'" It turns out that was not the case. His playing style was more root-fifth jugband than hard bop, and I could keep up just fine.

He started having Sunday afternoon jams in his living room, and being the arts editor for the local free alt-weekly paper, he cast a pretty wide net as far as other local musicians to invite. When he invited me to the first one, he mentioned that there'd likely be a banjo or two, so I figured I'd bring the Tele, as it was my most "Country and Western" guitar. The jams kept happening, eventually more people showed up just to hang out, and at one point a guy who went by the nickname "Reno" said to me "Hey man. That's some slick-ass playing, and that's one slick-ass guitar. I'm gonna call you Slick-ass Dan." Luckily the nickname didn't stick for too long, but the jams evolved into a band which kinda became a revolving door for local musicians who wanted to do something less serious and more fun than their other "real", mostly "paying" projects. It was a band which, if, say, you just spent 6 years getting a master's degree in vocal performance, and haven't really seen music as "fun" for a while, you could join and cut loose, drink some cheap canned domestic adjunct lager, swig Jim Beam from the pass-around fifth, let your hair down and have a good time. No pressure, no ambition other than to write songs and scam our way onto bills with other bands for local neighborhood shows. At one point, we would have onstage 2 guitarists, a bassist/backup singer, a lead singer, a drummer, a banjo player, an organist, a flugelhorn player and a saxophonist all at the same time.

The band is still going, though whittled down to the 4 founding members (orig. bassist/vox, drummer, other guitarist and me) along with a recently-added dedicated bassist. We haven't had a full band practice since February, and are all anxiously awaiting the post-pandemic world so we can get together in the same room again.

This Telecaster has rotated in and out as my guitar for this band. This past weekend I swapped in locking tuners, Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups, full-size CTS pots, an orange drop cap, a CRL switch, an output jack cup that is screw-mounted, and a new 8-hole mirror-chrome pickguard. It is currently my favorite guitar, but that title gets passed around pretty frequently. I put 9-46s on it, and it plays like butter, especially compared to my Jazzmaster which has 11-54s on it (still plays nice, just noticeably stiffer). I absolutely love the noiseless pickups, I don't have to keep it on the middle position 98% of the time anymore.

5. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My Fifth Squier is an IC05 black '51, which I bought for $69.99 at the Towson Guitar Center in 2006. Was perusing the electric guitars, saw it in a stand, saw the tag, grabbed it. It, too, has rotated in and out of being my "band" guitar. Used it during the 2014-2015 "momentum" stretch when we were getting more and more offers for gigs and finally started turning some of them down. We were all in our mid-30s to mid-40s and had day-jobs, thus could not be the 4th band on a 5-band bill playing at midnight on a Wednesday when we had to get up for work like 5 hours later. We were very tight during that time though, probably some of our best playing at those gigs. The other bands on those bills seemed to mostly be MICA art students in their early 20s, so loading out at 2am when all they had to do the next day was be up by noon for a sculpture class or a 4 hour shift at a coffee shop or something was no problem.

As we started accepting less offers, we started getting less offers, which was sort of a bummer, but the only realistic path it could have gone down. We ended up with a loose policy that we'll take gigs on Friday nights, Saturday afternoons, Saturday nights, or Sunday afternoons only. And we went from playing 4-6 shows a month to playing a show every 2 or 3 months. Que sera sera.

I like this guitar a lot, and it's probably the most versatile guitar I own. I've figured out, over the years, that I prefer single coil clean sounds and humbucker dirty sounds. With the push/pull coil split, this one covers everything I need. Everyone knows about the necks on these things too. I haven't done any modifications yet, but I have a GuitarFetish bridge (same one as I installed on my Bullet HH Mustang) waiting to go on. After that, who knows. Maybe some nicer tuners, maybe an electronics upgrade. We'll see. It's not first in line for major modifications.

speelyei, Shiloh77, drewcp and 7 others like this.
  6. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My Sixth Squier is an ICS17 Vintage Modified Jazzmaster with a sunburst finish. I bought it in February of 2019 from Bill's Music in Catonsville MD for $399 using a $150 gift card which was my xmas present from my wife. It's probably my prettiest guitar. It's played a handful of practices and exactly 1 show before Coronavirus put the kibosh on band activities. I have it strung with 11-54s, I've swapped out the stock trem assembly for an AVRI one (It didn't look right without the tremlock slider button!) and I have an aluminum pickguard shield to install. It sounds beautiful, but the stock pickups are very hummy when used individually, so I'm gonna shield the cavities, and eventually probably see if I can't scare up some noiseless pickups for it.

Having been a 90s/grunge preteen/teenager, Fender offset styles have always appealed to me. I remember inquiring about Jaguars to my dad when I was 13 or 14, right before he bought me my 40th Anv. Strat. He said "Nah, you don't want one of those. Nobody does. It's got no resale value.".

HA. HA. HA.

Cut to 26ish years later and my itch for a "real" offset is finally thoroughly scratched. I love my DeArmond Jetstar Spel, but it was definitely always an imitation of what I wanted rather than what I wanted.

7. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    My Seventh Squier is an IC19 Musician's Friend Limited Edition Olympic White Bullet Mustang HH, which I bought between sales, paying the full $179.99. Y'know, I'm not mad. I think it's worth every penny. I bought it after a culmination of air travel and full days spent in a dentist's chair wreaked havoc on my lower back (I'm 6'4", 275 lbs, plane rides have never been comfortable). I've had issues here and there since 2016 when we bought the house and moved, but back in March, there were a few days after a 3-hour band practice with the fairly heavy Tele where I couldn't roll on my side in bed without excruciating spasms. It took my wife and I 15 minutes to get me standing up on my feet from the bed. It suuuuuuuuuucked. So, after I limped into an urgent care for a Flexeril script, I went online and purchased this guitar because it was listed at like 4 lbs.

I've swapped the bridge out with a GuitarFetish '51 bridge to eliminate string pinch between the saddle and saddle-adjustment screws. I ordered a 3-ply WBW pickguard to replace the 1-ply that came with it. I got some Wilkinson vintage-style ivory-button tuners to throw on there along with 10mm conversion brushings. Thinking about coil splitting, but it's not an urgent need.

The other guitarist in my band bought one a couple months after I did, when I pointed out the sale. He's only ever had his MIM Stratocaster since he was a teenager, never bought a Squier because he always thought he should "save up for something nicer"for his second electric guitar. Now he loves it, and he's like "What a fool I've been..."

speelyei, ancient, Shiloh77 and 12 others like this.
  8. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Welcome to ST. Nice collection you have there.

9. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Wow @BarnyardShark1979 , that's an impressive and eclectic herd of guitars you've assembled. I'd think you can cover about any sound, or style out there, with those beauties :)

10. Mr Purple

Mr Purple Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    Ohio
  11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Hey.

great stories and details behind them. Welcome.

12. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Always love a good story.
    Welcome

13. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Welcome to ST. That's a nice collection you've got there, just be aware collections have a way of growing and getting out of hand around here.

14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    You found the right place lol. Welcome

15. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    On The Road To Baja
    Hello. Great "war" stories and nice collection

Were you a cunning linguist? o_O

A friend of mine went to DLI around the same time and he was/is a Star Wars fanboy. Brad Wolfe? He was in the Russian program.

16. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    nice collection and great introduction!!

Welcome to Squier-Talk, @BarnyardShark1979 ! :)

17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’m usually not for stickers, but your stories clearly explain why they are there, and you my friend, get a pass from me possibly saying anything negative about them.

Great guitars, and great stories… I’ve had a few of the same models.

18. gmt124

gmt124 Squier-Nut

Aug 11, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Hi Barnyard shark1979 and welcome aboard the ST. Great collection, thanks for the details.

19. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Nice collection! And welcome to the forum. I think you will fit right in with this group!

20. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Not too cunning, most of my friends from back then were/are way better linguists than I ever was. That name isn't ringing a bell, but if he knew either a Brantley or a Gadbois in the Air Force, they were a couple of Rus-lings I hung out with.

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.