Hi all,need some help.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lottiegran, Apr 29, 2020.

1. lottiegran

lottiegran Squier Talker

May 18, 2019
    The Netherlands
    As the guitar is in untouched original condition is it possible that the serial no. was printed on a sticker?

mb doug likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah only on this forum in another thread.....nowhere else....,.weird....

radiotech and mb doug like this.
  3. lottiegran

lottiegran Squier Talker

May 18, 2019
    The Netherlands
    or a batch extraordinaire builds? to good and the next series downgraded by Fender? other 90's Squiers i own VN,CN and YN are fine instruments but this one is realy top notch beside the ceramic pickups,they sound oke but with vintage style alnico pickups.....

mb doug likes this.
  4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Welcome to ST.

mb doug likes this.
  5. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    I have come across another example of this 'mystery' guitar. Located in the UK and as @lottiegran is in the Netherlands perhaps it is a European variation.

It has serial number YN5 on plate and with the sticky remains of a removed sticker on the back of the head stock, 21 frets, black truss rod plug, same head stock printing and a skunk stripe. Not sure if first guitar had a skunk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drewcp, radiotech and mb doug like this.
  6. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Jack, and everyone else, too,

It might well be some kind of European model of YN. However, your truss rod access is painted black, you can see the rough wood where it was drilled, (It is also losing some paint on the low E side, near the rosewood). The OP's picture is not close / large enough to really see the details of the black 'insert(?)'. Also, there is no picture of the back of the headstock, or the neckplate, if it has one. Being marked 'Made in China' would put it squarely in the YN/NC production. Which BTW ran '92-'97. The NC2 is somewhat iffy as I have only seen the picture of one, which I did not save and I've never seen another.. YN's begin with YN3 and NC's for sure with NC4 (I have several of them)

One sure thing with Squier is there are no / few sure things. I'm am constantly learning new things about Squiers. And that is even when I concentrate heavily on NC / YN / Transition CY' ('98, '99, '00).

To the OP, I still cannot give you a definitive answer on the guitar, as Jack also experienced. Having the skunk stripe on a '90's China, presumably a Yako, but any Chinese factory is beyond highly unusual.

I'll continue to watch and attempt a better answer in the future.

drewcp, radiotech, Rick-T137 and 2 others like this.
  7. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    The black Strat above sold yesterday on UK ebay for £80 plus £15.99 shipping.

I was tempted to buy it to try to get to the bottom of exactly what it is but I have a white NC4 due any day so resisted!

jefffam likes this.
  8. lottiegran

lottiegran Squier Talker

May 18, 2019
    The Netherlands
    In my opinion a different trussrod plug more rounded in mine.

Attached Files:

drewcp likes this.