HHH Choice(s)?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Lanaka, Sep 14, 2021 at 8:10 AM.

Which HHH Set You'd Pick?

This poll will close on Sep 28, 2021 at 8:10 AM.
  1. Pearly Gates Set + 59-4wire N in middle

20.0%
  2. Whole Lotta HB Set + 59 4W N in neck

20.0%
  3. Sat Night Special Set + WLH N in middle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Custom 5 B / 59 Custom B / 59 4W B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. JB B / 59-4wire N / Jazz N

40.0%
  6. JB B / Full Shred B / Jazz N

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Parallel Axis Distortion B / Full Shred B / Full Shred N

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Parallel Axis (Distortion B / Full Shred B / 59 4W B)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other ( Please Specify in Thread)

20.0%
  1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a hybrid project that will soon hit my project queue. Its a red metallic 85-87 Kramer Voyager HHH body ONLY. I've sourced a 1988 Epiphone S-Series neck that came from their Strat copy. I'm in the planning stages for this one.

1985-87 Kramer Voyager HHH Body
    IMG_20210913_093435.jpg
    As ye can see here, aside the transparent gray rear control cavity cover, its a bare body finished in a gorgeous red metallic. The horns does exhibit some finish damage BUT no damages to the horns themselves!

1988 Epiphone S-Series Neck
    IMG_20210913_092841.jpg
    The neck is a maple/maple with 9.5" radius & 21 medium-jumbo frets.

Here's the Epi's seller pic of the whole S-Series guitar.
    01 - 64300caa390d0d87bf4daaea7fcee79b.jpg
    Ye wouldn't believe how bad the body was. Not visible in picture was the badly warped pickguard, the collapsed wood in body between the trem and bridge pup, the 4 extra unmatching wood screws put into pickguard to HOLD the broken section in place, the smell of dog sweat, saliva and poo, and the generally severe amounts of dirt n crap (literally) all over it. Guy was asking 55$, I offered 20$, and I walked away with the guitar...in a trash bag. It STINKS! On getting it home, I had taken the usable parts (neck assembly, trem assembly, rear trem cover, pup & covers, switch tips & knobs) off and cleaned them. I promptly disposed of the still stinking, chewed up body. Really should've just burned it but afraid the smoke might be toxic, LOL.

Here's the combined neck and body pic.
    1BF36B3B-F166-4D8E-80F6-1E2E15BD2C4C.JPG
    For size comparison, the guitar to left is my 1994 Jackson JRR-94 Concept V.

The guitar will have an Original Floyd Rose or Edge Zero or Kahler double-locking trem. The Voyager originally came with Kahler but was subsequently modified to accept a Floyd Rose, but I may go with an Edge Zero instead. It will depend on what fits best. I have a FR and an EZ kits and in process of measuring to determine what will fit best.

The kits both have the matching locking nut and will require some mods to neck to install it on the Epi S neck. I have to decide which kit's nut also works best with the truss rod adjustment located at the headstock base. I will also install black Hipshot locking tuners (this is solely for quicker string changes). The headstock frontside will be painted in red metallic to match the body, with an "Epiphone + Kramer" decal with each name in it's factory script in white under the headstock clear coat.

The body has only one hole for the potentiometer and 3 smaller holes for 3x 2way toggle switches for pup on/off. I'm thinking of using a concentric pot so I can have a master volume and master tone control in that one pot hole. If it fits, I will also install a variable treble bleed circuit and a 0.015μF cap onto the 500k pot. I may integrate the circuit board into the cavity cover.

I will use black Triple-Shot pup trim rings to mount each humbuckers and enable coil-splitting to either coils and have parallel/series connection options. Altho this part is not critical.

Due to the butchered neck pup rout (previous owner cut it to fit a single coil pup that was angled for treble boost), I may have to fab a small "pickguard" to cover up the excess routing IF the trim rings cannot cover that hack job.

The output jack will be a black Pure Tone output jack in a black jack plate.

My goal is to have a versatile playing guitar that should be able to play anything from jazz to hard blues, classic to hard rock n roll, and classical 80s metal to modern prog metal. Think Brian May, Angus Young, Slash, BB King, EVH, SRV, Rabea Maassad, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Gilmour and Billy Gibbons.

I'm looking for 3 humbuckers be minimum ~7-8κΩ+ in the neck, up to ~20κΩ in the bridge, with middle humbucker being somewhere in between the other two output wise.

I plan to use Seymour Duncan pickups because I mostly use this brand and they're generally more readily available to get than most other brands and has a proven history for reliability and consistency. Not to mention it's easy to get remakes of custom orders since SD retains records of every type of pups made.

I'm thinking of starting with an established humbucker pair, add a third humbucker, and rearrange the three as needed.

Pearly Gates + 59 Neck in middle.
    N: Pearly Gates N(7.3κΩ A2)
    M: 59 4wire N(7.6κΩ A5)
    B: Pearly Gates B(8.2κΩ A2)

Whole Lotta Humbucker (WLB) + 59 neck.
    N: 59-4w N(7.6κΩ A5)
    M: WLB N(8.2κΩ A5)
    B: WLB B(8.8κΩ A5)

Saturday Night Special (SNS) +WLH middle.
    N: SNS N(7.9κΩ A4)
    M: WLH N(8.2κΩ A5)
    B: SNS B(9.75κΩ A4)

59 Custom Bridge Set
    N: 59 4-Wire B(8.2κΩ A5)
    M: 59 Custom Hybrid B(11.2κΩ A5)
    B: Custom 5 B(14.1κΩ A5)
    (This set probably wont require splitting since the middle IS a hybrid of the other two).

59 + Hot Rodded Set
    N: Jazz N(7.5κΩ A5) *
    M: 59 4w N(7.6κΩ A5) *
    B: JB HB(16.6κΩ A5) OR
    B: JB TB(17.4κΩ A5) *

Full Shred + Hot Rodded Set
    N: Jazz N(7.5κΩ A5) *
    M: Full Shred N(7.5κΩ A5)
    M: Full Shred B(14.1κΩ A5) *
    B: JB HB(16.6κΩ A5)
    B: JB TB(17.4κΩ A5) *

Parallel Axis Distortion + Full Shred Set
    N: Full Shred N(7.5κΩ A5)
    M: Full Shred B(14.1κΩ A5)
    B: Parallel Axis Distortion TB (21.2κΩ Cer)

59 Shred P.A.D. Bridge Set
    N: 59 4-Wire B(8.2κΩ A5)
    M: Full Shred Bridge (14.1κΩ A5)
    B: Parallel Axis Distortion TB (21.2κΩ Cer)

Attached Files:

BlueSquirrel, -r3- and Oldguitarguy like this.
  2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck with it.

I can't make a recommendation on the humbuckers though. I will say that guitar needs something loud and crunchy.

BlueSquirrel and Lanaka like this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    My thoughts exactly, as the red metallic and form factor fairly screams "loud and crunchy!" But at same time, I'm not as young as I used to be so want some ability to dial back the volume and do umm... more "tamer" noises too, LOL!

Been scanning the samples for the humbuckers on the Duncan site. I've ran across OTHER pups that sounded very nice, especially surprising are how some like the Black Winters sounded clean or on just crunch!

Hmm, good thing I've given myself LOTS of lead time on this project. I'm currently actively working on 4 other guitars plus 2 more inactively.

Hmmm, JB/Full Shred B/59 4-Wire B?

4. SubSailer671

LOL

My playing time is about 95% acoustic, so my opinion on pickups is usually limited to piezo styles. Using a hot humbucker in one of my main axes is just begging for feedback issues.

5. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup, I understand. I have a semi-hollow Firefly FF-338-BB that came with Gibson Burstbucker 3 and 57 Classic humbuckers from a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Professional.
    IMG_20210609_073239.jpg

I'm well satisfied with those HBs in there that only thing I'm going to do is upgrade the trim rings to black or cream Triple-Shots.
    IMG_20210915_040343.jpg
    Close up of pup/bridge left. Body view right.

The Triple-Shot Sets.
    IMG_20210915_044453.jpg
    Creams lefts, blacks rights.
    Flattops tops, archtop bottoms.

Methinks that I be leaning more towards the black archtop set. The creams are perhaps a tad too light, altho I could tint them a touch darker. But methinks the black ones fit the overall aesthetics better.
    16317167132142981959861977400187.jpg

The Triple-Shot has built in switches for coil splitting to north or south coils and switching between parallel or series (in or outta phase) connections.

I've heard that hollow type guitars are feedback prone. Altho Hendricks and SRV make good use of those feedbacks as part of their sound, with a solidbody no less! That's why I decided on leaving those Gibbies in there. ;) I shant tempt the feedback gods...too much, LOL! :p

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM
  6. SubSailer671

I get feedback on the acoustics with nothing more than a compression pedal. It doesn't take much, which is why you see a lot of pro musicians who plug their soundholes with a rubber cover.

Here is my FF338:

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Big fan of SD HBs - love every one I ever bought!

I like the idea of the Jazz neck and the JB Bridge - you have a couple of combinations with those two ... but I might go w/ the Duncan Custom Custom (AL2/14.1K) for the middle.

Lanaka likes this.
  8. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, when I was in the market for a 338, that was the VERY thing I was looking for...a Goldtop version! XD

Unfortunately at the time it got sold out ...AGAIN. Then shortly after that, that's when the Blueburst I ended up buying was listed. Initially I was gonna pass cuz the seller was asking for 450$ due to the Gibson pups already installed.

But after researching possible pups that I'd install, I had initially considered a set of JB/59, but due to concerns that the JB may be feedback happy in a semi, then considered a Pearly Gates or a Whole Lotta Humbuckers. Then I found out that the Gibson pups were supposedly characterized as being between the Whole Lotta Humbuckers and the JB/Jazz. When I factored the prices of the Duncan pups, shippings, and the new price of a 338, it's getting close to the seller's 400$. So I haggled price down to 350$ and closed the deal.

Since then I haven't regretted buying this 338. Well, not really. Ok, sorta. While Big Blue is an excellent guitar that's well set up and the Gibby pups does a fine job, it's still not a Goldtop. :(

Perhaps in near future I'll try another go at getting the Goldtop and then move everything in Big Blue to the Gold OR go ahead and try some SD pups in the Goldtop.

SubSailer671 likes this.
  9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I'll bend an ear towards the samples for the Custom Custom on SD's site.

(Sneaks onto SD's Custom² page.)

(HOURS LATER...)

Ok, I back.

Hmm, interesting. Also repeatedly relistened to all versions of the Customs (original Custom, 59 Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom), aside from the 59 Custom, the rest sounds like they're using the same basic coils (with some tweakings and differs in the magnets used (A5, A2 or Ceramics). Mostly.

Sounds to me in "general" the Customs seems to be a higher output versions of the 59. The ceramic version (Custom) is quite bright, but is a bit flubby in the lows. The A5 Custom 5 and 59 Custom are warmer, the Custom 5 so warm that it's too tonally similar to the JB/Jazz. Come to think of it the Jazz is also tonally similar to the JB, I think that's why I've been lately using the 59 in the neck, the much brighter bell like tone stands alone better and mixes well with the JB.

But you're right the Custom Custom DOES sound interesting! The A2 Custom Custom's tone sits midway between the 59 and the JB. It has a more jangly tone that has a strong lower mid voice. Took me a while to choose the Custom Custom over the 59 Custom after REPEATEDLY listening to the Bridge Rock Crunch samples on both. Wherever possible, this is the specific sample I use to compare SD humbuckers.

Hmm, thinking an all-bridge set of JB (A5 16.6κΩ) + Custom Custom (A2 14.1κΩ) + 59 4-wire (A5 8.2κΩ) would be the most versatile of the JB sets. I suspect I could coax some Tele tones out of splitting the 59 and Custom². Yay, country is on the set list!

PS: I dunno why I never even noticed that the Custom Custom even existed before?! Did some more research on the net and found out that the Custom² has been favorably compared to the EVH tone.

IronSchef likes this.