Help!

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Ken Rose, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Ain't nothing wrong with Dano pedals or Behringer either, in spite of what you might hear to the contrary! If you really need them to be "tour rugged" try Googling " rehousing guitar pedals" and you will see that there is brisk traffic in taking some of the favorite plastic pedals and housing them in more sturdy metal cases, both DIY and for a fee.

VM51SQ and mb doug like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you jump up and down so hard on a Behringer pedal that it breaks, then you have anger management issues, and you need therapy.

3. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    All your posts are negative and troll like.

4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I can't believe you have the California metal pedal, made by Elac. I have the Overdrive, and I used to have the Distortion. I also have the Dinosaur overdrive made by them, and I used to have their Red Overdrive with a clean control, that mixed in the clean with the overdrive, similar to the Sparkle Drive, and Nux Drive Core.
    41HUqXjSQUL._SY300_QL70_.jpg s-l1000.jpg DSCN1187.JPG
    But, I'm confused why you have three of the Azor delay, and also that pink pedal.

5. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I bought the California Metal pedal off Amazon because I did a search on "guitar pedal" or "distortion pedal", sorted it for low-to-high price, and it was there for $14. I actually got it months before I started collecting any of the other minipedals. When I saw it I thought "I've spent more on a cable than this pedal".

I dig it, it's like a Metal Zone. I just wish I had something like an EHX Hotfoot or something to manipulate the mid freq knob, sweeping it back and forth gets this really synthy like thing going.

With both the Azor delay and the Mosky spring reverb, I bought one of each at first, and then I liked them so much, and they were so cheap, that I bought 2 more of each just to have them available, to lend out to friends, experiment with multiple placements in a signal chain, one before gain stage or modulation, one after, etc.

I was just really impressed with each and figured having a couple more around when they each cost less than 2 6-packs of locally brewed IPA is a no-brainer.

mb doug and DougMen like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just found a new brand on Amazon, with familiar names, but they don't look like any other brand to me. Of course, they could be the same board as others in a different case. Their box looks different than I've seen before too, which may sound dumb, but when I bought some pedals from a brand called Ares, I determined that they were made by Joyo, because they came in identical boxes, and had the same font that Joyo uses on the pedals and boxes.
    61kWMzNP5HL._AC_SL1024_.jpg 511DwylPGUL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

drewcp, mb doug and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I also bought a Timmy clone on Ebay that had no brand name, and I decided that it was made by Mosky, because, although it was a full size pedal, the box style and graphics on the label on the box were identical to Mosky mini pedals.

mb doug likes this.
  8. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    They look nice though. Some years back I was considering having some Rose Pedals made but the amount of them in the market would be an uphill battle both ways through snow. I couldn’t invest a boat load of money into it.

mb doug and DougMen like this.
  9. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    mb doug likes this.
  10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have that blue overdrive, but haven't even plugged it in. Am I understanding correctly that it was/is a keeper for you?

mb doug likes this.
  11. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Pedals are fun !!! Who cares how you get your tone, as long as you nail it !

mb doug and Ken Rose like this.
  12. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    2 of my favorite mini pedals: Donner boost killer, and JHS mini foot fuzz. The Donner is really affordable, but is a magical device! Everything sounds better with the pedal engaged, whether it's straight to the amp or stacked into other pedals. It just brings the tone to life. The mini foot fuzz is a derivative of the bazz fuss circuit, according to Josh Scott himself, but it has all kinds of fuzz tones, from lo fi velcro tones to infinite sustain, violin\ big muff. It's the v2, which has the+/- switch. It's not cheap at $135, but well worth it. Just know you are not alone fighting the mini pedal addiction !

mb doug likes this.
  13. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Speaking of Dano pedals, I recently rediscovered my pastrami od. On it's own it's meh, but stacked with other drive pedals it's sublime!!

mb doug, Block Head Ike and Ken Rose like this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It sounds good, but it's VERY bright. I like my Klones and Timmy and TS types, and my Durple, a lot more.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    mb doug and drewcp like this.
  15. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I was already buying from Amazon, so I threw in the Naomi analog chorus.

While not as cheap as a lot of these pedals, the TC Electronics Spark Mini is a really nice clean boost for just under $50.

mb doug likes this.
  16. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

I think this thread has advanced to a point where this info will be helpful - The "Clone" lists:

https://www.pedalboard.org/pedale/clones
    (this link has lots of the Mooer, Joyo, and Behringer pedals on it)

https://spartanmusic.co.uk/blogs/smblog/15841084-inexpensive-pedal-clones-a-list
    (another good list - heavily focused on low-priced Chinese pedals including Moen, Biyang, Joyo, Eno, Mooer and others)

http://www.thecavanproject.com/101-effect-pedal-clones/
    (massive list! 202 pedals listed including TC Electronics, Daphon, and many, many more!)

https://guitarpickzone.com/joyo-clone-list/
    (comprehensive review of all the JOYO pedals, what they clone, and a breakdown of each of JOYO's pedal series - includes links to some side-by-side comparison videos)

https://www.tonestart.com/ultimate-behringer-guitar-pedal-clone-list/
    (Names say it all for these lists)

https://www.tonestart.com/ultimate-donner-guitar-pedal-clone-list/

http://haveguitar.com/wp/mooer-audio-pedal-clone-list/

https://ridingthemustang.blogspot.com/p/list-of-pedal-clones-for-overdrive-and.html
    (Great list for overdrive & distortion pedals:ORIGINAL, MOOER, CALINE, BEHERINGER, MOSKY, JOYO, ROWIN, ENO, DONNER, ZOOM, valeton, AROMA, DANAELECTRO, KOKKO, STAGG BLAXX ...!!!)

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Did you decide on a looper? Which one? And why, please?

mb doug likes this.
  18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have the Digitech Jamman Solo XT, because I like to be able to load a bunch of chord progressions in it to jam over, and it has 99 memory slots, and 35 minutes record time, expandable with an SD card. It's not made anymore, but you might be able to find one used. Similar loopers with multiple memory slots and decent recording time are the Boss RC-3 and new RC-5, the new TC Ditto +, which isn't available yet, and the Nux Loopcore, also available with the Hartke name on it. It's the least expensive of the bunch. For a simpler one that holds a single loop, I have the Micro size Rowin, which used to be able to store loops on your PC, and then reload them in the looper, but the newest version of the Rowin software doesn't work with it. All the simple single loop Chinese made ones sound fine and are around $30.

mb doug likes this.
  19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I recently got the California overdrive out and started playing around with it, and I found that it's actually a really great sounding Bluesbreaker style pedal. It sounds awesome to me with the gain a little above noon, and the tone and level below noon.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    mb doug and drewcp like this.
  20. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I bought a Dumbler and I blame you all...

VM51SQ and mb doug like this.