Help With an SQ Offer

Upstater

Squier Talker
Apr 11, 2022
NY/NJ
The last time it happened to me I was buying a used motorcycle from a kid that was selling it because he was getting married and needed the money. Once we got to a fair price I didn't try to beat him down lower than that. He was happy because the only other interested party was his brother, who was offering considerably less that I was.
Best part, is you don’t have to let them know you’re helping them out and they don’t have to feel like they’re in need. Win-win for the cost of a dinner out.

szombat62

Squier-Meister
Jul 19, 2015
Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
View attachment 239467

Thanks to a member here, I was able to pick up a second with maple neck. Both are early SQ0- serial, appear to have been made a month apart but the higher serial neck (SQ03-) has a 10-83 date while the white neck (SQ02-) is dated 11-83. Either way, the maple neck for me is perfection but the white guitar has, for me, the most Stratty Strat tone I’ve ever heard. I also don’t see an issues with the E strings being too near the board edges with the maple neck that others, including myself, have noticed with the Rosewood necks.

Now, to come across the Export JV that is out there waiting for me… for $150…
They look great together. SQ heaven!

Las Palmas Norte

Squier-Axpert
Feb 19, 2017
Vancouver Island, Canada
If it's legit, then $650 is a bargain. People are asking upwards of $800 for SQs, last time I looked.
I would stay away. Its a good guitar, dont get me wrong, and looks legit, but is not worth the money.

Interesting that you can get polar opposite replies on the same guitar. It seems to me you got what you wanted at a fair market price, and are happy with your purchase.
FWIW, I like my later model '84 SQ with the solid shaft tuners.

DSC08546.JPG

Upstater

Squier Talker
Apr 11, 2022
NY/NJ
Interesting that you can get polar opposite replies on the same guitar. It seems to me you got what you wanted at a fair market price, and are happy with your purchase.
FWIW, I like my later model '84 SQ with the solid shaft tuners.

View attachment 239470

I’d say so on the fair market pricing. Considering the newer CV Squiers are inching up to $500+, I’ve got two EX+ grade vintage guitars that work well for my playing style (I use a lot of thumb over low E playing) with a very specific to the model sound that I like.

Would I pay $1k for an SQ? Nope! I also wouldn’t pay anywhere near what I paid for these if they had been modded/upgraded since their tone works for me.

That said, I’ve seen a few JV CST-50s (70s Strat) in the $1,200+ range on Reverb and I cannot find any difference between these and the SQ 70s Strats. I’ve also not had one in hand. I’d be curious to know if they are essentially the same, just a slightly earlier production round in mid ‘83. From my understanding, the 84s have different hardware but are they same pick ups as the ‘83/early 84 SQs?

Nov 24, 2018
Grouse season...
Guitar purchased. I ended up giving the guy $600, he looked like he could use the extra $50 more than I could and I could tell the second I picked it up I was getting my moneys worth. After plug in it’s apparent the switch needs to be cleaned but everything else works great. The tone out of my AC30 is killer so far but I only had a few minutes to test it out. I’m going to do a basic cleaning and restring tonight and l’ll post some additional pics. For now, I leave you all with this…

View attachment 232415
Nice score and kudos to you for hooking the dude up. Awesome.