Help With an SQ Offer

Upstater

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2022
NY/NJ
Hi all,

I joined the forum to specifically learn more about buying a vintage Squier and I may have an opportunity here locally.

This appears to be a low serial (SQ021XX) with dater project putting it 83-84, seller says Nov 83 but no photos. Seller is asking $650 but I’m unsure what level of SQ serial this is, particularly due to the rosewood fretboard. It does have Fender Japan split tuners and in general looks pretty beautiful. Is this a decent deal? I was thinking of going $550 but my gut said that may be too much. If the wise sages here believe this is a fair deal, I’m going to make a run for it and sell my old MIK Epi Dot later to pay for it!

Thank you all in advance!!

Photos…

CCD70108-AF77-4956-BB6F-6228C8605C85.jpeg 590B542D-8732-4A47-9750-2F49AC51A4C0.jpeg

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
I can’t help you with what level SQ that is, but @Guitarmageddon can. He will chime in and tell you exactly what it is.

As far as the price goes, $600 is what I have my SQ for sale at. It’s been for sale for well over a year and I get hardly any interest in it. I hear all the time how much these guitars are worth, but they are not easy to sell.
I will add that they are fantastic guitars. Mine is the best Strat I own (I don’t have any Strats made by Fender). I only paid $125 for mine I think, so if it never sells, I will gladly just keep playing it! LOL

blind radish

Squier Talker
Sep 2, 2015
Agree with David Sharp $650 is a bargain. I have an SQ Series 83 and paid $800

Been played hard over the years and I hope to continue that practice.

mij-83-sq.jpg

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I joined the forum to specifically learn more about buying a vintage Squier and I may have an opportunity here locally.

This appears to be a low serial (SQ021XX) with dater project putting it 83-84, seller says Nov 83 but no photos. Seller is asking $650 but I’m unsure what level of SQ serial this is, particularly due to the rosewood fretboard. It does have Fender Japan split tuners and in general looks pretty beautiful. Is this a decent deal? I was thinking of going $550 but my gut said that may be too much. If the wise sages here believe this is a fair deal, I’m going to make a run for it and sell my old MIK Epi Dot later to pay for it!

Thank you all in advance!!

Photos…

View attachment 232357 View attachment 232358

The 'level' of a 1983/84 SQ serial does not matter, they all had alnico pickups and great hardware, $650 is well worth it in my opinion.....

Upstater

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2022
NY/NJ
Guitar purchased. I ended up giving the guy $600, he looked like he could use the extra $50 more than I could and I could tell the second I picked it up I was getting my moneys worth. After plug in it’s apparent the switch needs to be cleaned but everything else works great. The tone out of my AC30 is killer so far but I only had a few minutes to test it out. I’m going to do a basic cleaning and restring tonight and l’ll post some additional pics. For now, I leave you all with this…

416BABAF-6420-45D8-96CC-BA3B2CF7A19B.jpeg

JtTantrum

Squier Talker
Aug 8, 2022
Ontario canada
Guitar purchased. I ended up giving the guy $600, he looked like he could use the extra $50 more than I could and I could tell the second I picked it up I was getting my moneys worth. After plug in it’s apparent the switch needs to be cleaned but everything else works great. The tone out of my AC30 is killer so far but I only had a few minutes to test it out. I’m going to do a basic cleaning and restring tonight and l’ll post some additional pics. For now, I leave you all with this…

View attachment 232415
That rosewood is so rich it sets it off nice.

Upstater

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2022
NY/NJ
I've had that happen when buying something. You did a good thing.
Sometimes it’s the only thing to do. I was in a parking lot, guy selling it had some obvious health issues and didn’t look too great. Hope he’s doing all right, said he only played jazz these days but had to use an oxygen tank when playing live since it was hard for him to play more than 30 minutes at a time and his arch top weighed a ton.

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2018
North Carolina
Sometimes it’s the only thing to do.
The last time it happened to me I was buying a used motorcycle from a kid that was selling it because he was getting married and needed the money. Once we got to a fair price I didn't try to beat him down lower than that. He was happy because the only other interested party was his brother, who was offering considerably less than I was.

Last edited:

Upstater

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2022
NY/NJ
Belated welcome to the SQ club! Looks like a great buy you got there! Hope you’re enjoying playing it. I’m lucky to have one for over 38 years and still come away with a smile on my face after a session.
FCCF17B2-6008-4476-9D11-1F6DD34DC1F3.jpeg

Thanks to a member here, I was able to pick up a second with maple neck. Both are early SQ0- serial, appear to have been made a month apart but the higher serial neck (SQ03-) has a 10-83 date while the white neck (SQ02-) is dated 11-83. Either way, the maple neck for me is perfection but the white guitar has, for me, the most Stratty Strat tone I’ve ever heard. I also don’t see an issues with the E strings being too near the board edges with the maple neck that others, including myself, have noticed with the Rosewood necks.

Now, to come across the Export JV that is out there waiting for me… for $150…

Latest posts