Help HH wiring question.

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by bigtuna, Jun 9, 2021.

1. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    OK I'm building this picguard for the bullet I got from eddie. Looking for the simplest way possible to get some good bottom and growell out of this. These g.m.59's .. first question are we going to use a 3way or 5 way switch. And do we still use 2 tone 1 vol. Second pic is the bridge wires 3rd pic is the neck wires. Thank you oh if someone has a good wiring diagram. Most I see are with push pull . Kinda not interested in doing that. 20210609_081549.jpg 20210609_081616.jpg 20210609_081655.jpg

dbrian66, mb doug and Eddie like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You could use a 5-way switch and do auto split in positions 2 and 4......if you're interested in that, let me know.....

Personally when I do an HH Strat, I like to do 2 volumes and 1 tone......that way you can have one pickup's volume lower than the other when changing positions, to go from clean to heavy etc.....

3. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Yes definitely leaning towards 2 tone 1 vol. . Guitarmageddon can u pull me a wiring diagram. Ya 5 way is good as well

4. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You got it, okay I can't find one with 5-way auto split AND 2 volume 1 tone.....just use this to know how to wire your 5-way. Your GM pickups seem to have red/black taped/soldered off anyway, which matches Seymour Duncan

IMG_0147.JPG

For 2 volumes, you can put the volume knob for each pickup on the HOT wire BEFORE the 5-way switch.....

Then your master tone just comes off the 5-way's output.....

If you need more specific instructions for 2V 1T I can try to find diagrams....

dbrian66, mb doug and Angry Possum like this.
  5. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Thank u I shouldbe able to muddle thru this. Thanks again

dbrian66, mb doug and Guitarmageddon like this.
  6. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Well this hasn't worked out. Chalking it up to chitty second hand pickups. Position 1 and 5 work 234 no worky. Any way. Moving on from this spent 2 days. I'm DONE.. followed the diagram up above to the t. Been in and out 4 times. Was going in the eddiscaster.

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  7. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
  8. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    At the moment don't have one.. loaned out to a friend. Guess I'll just put her on the back burner til I get it back

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    How about photos of the wiring job?

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Switch the green and black wires. Guitar Madness does it opposite of SD. The green is hot and the black is ground.

12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
  13. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That shouldn't matter, you should still get signal and have it work. Green is one coil's start and the black is the opposite coil's finish.....something is off with the wiring or the pickups....

UNLESS the OP wired the 5th bare wire to hot instead of ground.....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    dbrian66 likes this.
  14. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    OK I'll post up picks. Let me pull it apart

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    White and red should be tied together, and then connected to the 5 way as shown for coil splitting. If you don't care about coil splitting, then just use a Strat 3 way switch, and then tie red and white together, and covered with shrink wrap or electrical tape to keep the connection from shorting to anything else, but don't connect that anywhere else in the circuit, and connect green to the switch and black to ground.

16. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Red Bridge wire/ black neck.. yes red and white together Using a 5 way. Wag going to use 3 way but shop didn't have any.

17. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    OK looks like dbrian66 was the winner. So far the screwdriver test were 100% now

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Yes just restrung and it's 100% thanks gmageddon and durian. And everyone. Hum the guitar madness 59's are a bit dark. But OK I think it will work. I'll do a proper ngd on the eddiecaster tomorrow.

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Well it was late last nite . So today after further investigation. And testing. All 5 positions. Everything is very muddy. Sounding. And either position 3 or 4 squeals. I may pull these out. And put the original Pg w/sss back in and move it on.somethin is definitely wrong. First time messing with humbuckers..