Help* 83/84 JV Squier neck / what is the body?

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by Pretty World, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Pretty World

Pretty World New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey guys (and gals), posted on some other forums but looking for some more answers.

I recently bought a Squier mij P-bass on Reverb. I need help identifying it as I am not going to take it apart.

Pretty certain the neck is an 84 JV (there's no strap button on the back of the headstock). No neck plate serial either.

Unfortunately the guy did a horrible job re-fretting it so there are burn/hack marks along the fretboard. There are also suntan marks around the pick-guard, which makes it evident it isn't the original. What body could've had a wider pick-guard? It may be a later squier body cause of the laminate ply, but the aging on the olympic white and the old pickups make me believe it is pretty old.

Overall, the seller deceived me but I'm looking at the bass as a rescue dog that found a good home and needs some love. Also it's on the lighter side and most importantly, sounds pretty good.

Attached Files:

Big tuna, mb doug and cool gouhl like this.
  2. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Sorry I can't help with the ID as I know didly about bass models but that neck is gorgeous it has a nice grain to it, I hope you can bring it back to life.

mb doug likes this.
  3. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Hei welcome!

Rosewood with walnut plug and no strap button on the back of the headstock - The neck is from a "SQ" serial P-Bass. Body seems to be not original. Unless it’s order made, SQ P-Basses came in sunburst with white guard and black with black guard and most of them have sen ash bodies with beautiful grain, take a look at some pictures from google.
    Hard to tell what body this could be as long we can’t see the the neck pocket and routings - same with the electronic.
    Cheers!

so1om and mb doug like this.
  4. When I look at the pics two things stand out. First, the unaged shadowing around the pickguard on the lower horn. o_O
    Secondly, the chip in the paint that exposes the body wood, suggests plywood layers. Humm.
    Those I'd be red flags in my book. Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug likes this.
  5. another big red flag.

mb doug likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Already answered you on Strat-Talk a few days ago, so this is already solved....it's not a mystery anymore.....

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/help-squier-japan-precision-bass-80s-90s.553295/

..it's an SQ 83/84 neck, not JV.....and the body is not from 1983/84 it's later.....that's all the info there is to be had....

There is no way to know the entire story if you're unwilling to take it apart....that is impossible.....

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Big tuna, mb doug and Ace38 like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Yes I think it's a strong possibility it's a Samick body from late 80s to early 90s, Korean.....laminate....

Las Palmas Norte and mb doug like this.
  8. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    It is cool though. I was looking yesterday on Reverb and there are not a lot of Squier p basses listed and with high shipping nowadays no real steals.Enjoy it man.