Hella(cheap!)caster Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SquierTap, Jan 4, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Likin the way the stain turned out, for the most part... There's two places that kinda bother me... On the heel and on the headstock on the back of the neck the satin looks a lil off... Don't know why just those places... I took my time and was careful but for whatever reason, it looks a lil blotchy... IMG_20200109_075425435~2.jpg
    IMG_20200109_075437577~2.jpg

Hopin this ain't a "sand all that off and go again" kinda deal, but even so, it wouldn't be the end of the world, I guess...

Attached Files:

2. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Lookin good, amigo! :cool:

3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I went ahead and added a second coat of stain... And it looks great, but I am wondering about the heel and headstock chamfers where it's slightly darker... In one way, I actually think it's kinda cool and unique... And in another way I'm thinkin about sanding back down and tryin again...
    IMG_20200109_095027166.jpg IMG_20200109_095112133.jpg IMG_20200109_095138700.jpg

4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    So, much like everything in my life, plan somethin down to the very last little detail, then life happens, and I'm flyin by the seat of my pants, lol...

So, I decided I KINDA like the extra stain on the heel and the headstock, but maybe not QUIET as dark as it was... So I just split the difference, grabbed one of those dark green scouring pads and worked on just those two areas... Actually worked too... Good deal...

Since the stain was SO light, I really "poured it to it" to quote good 'ol Pop, lol... So it took a while to dry... This stain stuff is supposed to dry pretty quickly, but it took a couple extra hours, of course, lol...

But now that I'm pretty happy with the color, I went ahead and applied my first coat of Tru-Oil... I actually DO have a lil experience with it... I actually used it FIRST on that green stained SE I did... So at least I KNOW how long of a haul I'm in for, lol... Tru-Oil is a waitin game... A thinkin man's finish, lol... But... If you've got the patience, it can be absolutely gorgeous... So, I guess I'm gonna work on THAT part of myself... God knows I could use some help in the "patience" and "waiting" departments, lol...

I'd show a pic, but it looks pretty much the same... So, here ya go, here's a pic of the almost done (just needs an output/input jack, but the rest is done) body; IMG_20200109_144635945.jpg

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, just put my 5th coat of Tru-Oil on, and it's JUST startin to look good... Ya know it's funny, when you look up "how long between coats of Tru-Oil", the "snobbier" forums ALWAYS recommend 24 hours between coats AND ALWAYS lightly sanding with steel wool between coats... And on the sites where people actually use it on gun stocks (that are exposed to rain, humidity, snow, all kinds of huntin weather) and cheaper guitars they say 1-2 hours between coats with no steel wool... Hmmm...

That's actually pretty funny, man...

But like I said, this is a kinda "hurry up and wait" kinda situation now... Which I guess is a good thing... When I posted this I figured I'd have a TON of people watchin and cheerin me on for my first "build"... But I've been postin like a mad man lately about everything from my music to reviews, to my "My Guitars" videos on my YouTube channel, and I guess everybody is just kinda "SquierTapped out", lol... So, I guess I'm gonna try to just lurk for a while and get outta folks faces for a bit... I posted a beautiful pic of that shined up brand new body that I built over 12 hours ago, and it ain't had a single "like"...

You KNOW they're burnt out on me, lol...

6. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    I'm here watchin every move, jus don't always have th time to comment. Ya know how busy life can be, an we got a storm comin, so been gittin stuff ready around my house, plus smokin meat fer folks.
    Please, keep on a postin, don't go dark on me, brother! :)
    Other than a grocery store trip, all is in readiness here, an I'll git caught up on yer posts as I'm iced/snowed in this weekend!
    Great Job, so fer, amigo! :cool:

7. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    @SquierTap Could you talk about the process of getting the body so shiny?
    What steps did you follow?
    Black is extremely hard to get right and whatever process you used yielded fantastic results.

8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    @SquierTap hold your head up dude lol. Keep those updates coming. Threads like this are valuable for people later on down the road. I'm ready to hear you rip it up .

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, everybody's battening down the hatches, so to speak... Actually I just realized I have no idea where you live, lol... Here in Nashville they're talkin some pretty bad storms... Guess we'll see... Be careful, my friend... That's super cool that you smoke meat... When I worked at the hotel, I had an over the road trucker that used to get me this spicy smoked jerky from up in Michigan made by a guy named "Stubby"... It was good stuff...

10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    It was pretty simple, hoss... I went online to Guitar Fetish and put my credit card number in... Lol... Yeah, I ordered a black body... Like I said, I REALLY wanted the black one with double white binding... But it was almost a hundred bucks and the body I got was $35... But, after it came in, before I started puttin hardware on, I actually used some McGuire's "Scratch-X 2.0" and when I got done with that, I used some McGuire's final polish and buffed that out too... I used both of those on my first re-finish/clear coat on that green stained SE of mine, and the results were amazing... Really mirror-like... IMG_20191019_011325111.jpg

11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Tony... I really appreciate it, hoss... My feelins ain't hurt or anything, I guess I just kinda over saturated the market, lol...
    But the main reason I started this thread was for me... So I could look back at the process... And so ME and some of the noobs might accidentally learn somethin...

12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

dude - if you have the time post your A$$ off - we love it ! !

13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Brother Ken... There's a couple of y'all cats that I honestly consider my friends, and I know y'all ain't gonna get tired of me postin guitar stuff on a GUITAR forum, lol... I USUALLY keep it all about guitar, but still, I always try to be conscious of my presence and not wear out my welcome... After all, it IS SQUIERtalk, not "The Chris Key Show", lol...

14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Ya just what @Kenneth Mountain said. I honestly wish more people would post up videos. Its really helpful to see and hear what we do. I suck at playing but I really don't care lol and I still post videos...

15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well... Looks what was in the mailbox today;
    IMG_20200110_162538844.jpg

I guess there was a bit of a miscommunication... I asked him for the inside of the "Chris Key" part to be black, BUT since it's clear and it's goin on a black headstock, that'll probably actually work better... Lol... Glad he didn't listen to my bone head, lol...

But that just goes to show, that NOTHIN ever works out the way I PLAN it... But it usually works out better than I planned, thank God...

I think it's gonna turn out sharp... Lettin my 7th coat of Tru-Oil dry now... Now it's time to start doin a LOT of THIN coats...

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Dude, do I know them feels, lol... I get self conscious about my middle finger stickin straight out, and I've got teeth problems, but I just started makin videos anyway, cause I thought I have valid things to say and play... That's the whole reason why I'm doin that series called "My Guitars" on my YouTube channel; Just to get used to and get comfortable with the camera...
    My finger doesn't REALLY slow me down that much, but I am self conscious of how people look at me sometimes... When I was a kid I had a bone disease and was in Shriner's Hospital For Crippled Children (yeah, they called it that back then, lol) and I didn't like the way people looked at me when I was in my wheelchair...

Sorry to get kinda deep there for a sec... My wife and SEVERAL other people have been tryin to talk me into giving guitar lessons... I like to think I'm a pretty good teacher... I've taught quite a few people how to play bass and guitar... My wife and I talked music theory (gently) for a month before she ever picked a bass up... But I kept it simple, and when she DID pick a bass up, she had a BIG advantage... BUT...

I am self conscious about my finger, but my main problem with it is that I know that I can't play things "correctly" or demonstrate the "proper" way to do things... I CAN however TELL them... I'm kinda on the fence about it... But I've actually got 2 or 3 people that want lessons... I don't know...

Sorry to hi-jack my own Tele thread, btw... Just thinkin out loud and maybe seein what Y'ALL think about it...

17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I don't post much in response, but one of the reasons I pop in lately is to see your progress.

18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Oh, and I'll mention too, that I do everything by hand... I just followed the directions and got a pack of lint free cotton rags... I've been wantin to get a buffer, or at least a drill attachment, but I can't justify the cost, lol... I don't polish very much... But here's what I used; IMG_20200110_172243665.jpg

19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Shoot, you too, man... I think that acoustic you've got (the current "case queen") that's been around the world in submarines is one of the coolest guitar stories I've ever heard... I remember thinkin "That's gonna be hard to top, lol"...

I thought about makin a post about that time that I was rescuing all those burning babies from the orphanage during the zombie apocalypse, and JUST as I was saving the elderly people from the nursing home next door that had caught fire, that wizard and Yogi Bear showed up and handed me that magical Strat that simultaneously puts out fires and kills zombies... But I thought, "Nah... Let him have his moment..."

Lol, but seriously that submarine guitar is REALLY cool...

20. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I may have to figure out how to post a video of it, and how it sounds. I can't play nothing but cowboy chords on it, but it still sounds nice.