Headphone amps

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddd, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Hey ,how’s everybody doing? My question is does anyone have good experience with headphone amps other than the Vox ones?Im looking for a cheapo sub $40.00 unit.any info would be great. Over and out.

2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

You mean guitar amps for headphones, right? I only have experience with the Vox Amplug Blues.

Now if you mean amplifiers to drive headphones (e.g., C-moy circuit) I have built a couple of those.

Eddd likes this.
  3. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Yeah that’s what I mean a guitar amp that plugs into the guitar and the phones into the “mini” amp.

SubSailer671 likes this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Vox ones are very good, and they're now making some for Blackstar too, to their specs, but the Blackstar ones are even called Amplug too.
    There are a lot of Chinese made ones now, but I don't think any of them plug into the guitar.

Taurus and Eddd like this.
  5. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Orange Mini 3 , you can use with headphones or with a cab, i drive my bassman 4x10 speakers and sounds great.
    Amplitube HD is good too, you can use amplitube and bias fx.

Eddd likes this.
  6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I used a Behringer UCG102 USB guitar interface for a while. I had an adapter that connected it to my Android phone, where I ran software to do DSP signal modeling. They are priced at $39 on Amazon right now.

Eddd likes this.
  7. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I enjoyed using a Line 6 Pocket Pod, with a bunch of effects and modelling, but they go for $130-$200 or so now.

It was great for auditioning guitars in stores.

Eddd likes this.
  8. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I use a flip phone.

cool gouhl likes this.
  9. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I was thinking of one of the vox style h-phone amps made by a few different brands but it’s hard to compare without actually trying,and I don’t really know if the amazon reviews are worth believing,that’s why I came here for the unbiased opinions.

10. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks ,but a bit too big and heavy . I need one that is about the size of a lighter that could fit in my pocket.

11. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Here ya go.

[​IMG]
    An actual "Fender amp" too.

I've played through one of these just to try it out. I forget exactly what my general impression was, but was certainly good enough for what it was intended to be.

The hard part will be finding one now. Pre-owned ones might be over-priced for their "collectible" value.

Viking, Eddd and cool gouhl like this.
  12. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I wish you wouldn't have posted that, now I gotta have it.

13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Looking on Amazon, I see that there are several others of this style besides the Vox and Blackstar ones, from Andoer, Valeton, Sonicake, Donner, Joyo, and others. Just go to the musical instrument section on Amazon and search for headphone guitar amplifier.

Eddd likes this.
  14. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Some features I would look for (or avoid):
    • 1/4" input jack, not a rigidly attached plug. Seems like it would be too easy to crack the case around it, and may interfere with control knobs on some guitars. Better to get a separate cable for it, even if it's only a short pedal patch cord. If you do get one with a rigid plug attached, get or fabricate a short extension cable with a jack on one end and a plug on the other.
    • Option to plug in a DC power supply and save battery life. But ... even if it has a DC power in jack, it may not necessarily recharge the batteries.
    • Built-in tuner.
    • Aux Input for an iPod or other personal music device.
    • sturdy clip for belt or strap. (I don't trust the one on my Pocket Pod though, it's heavy and slides off at the drop of a hat.)
    • if it uses a Li-ion battery, can you easily get a replacement for it? (unlike some phones and cameras) Does it have to be charged in a proprietary stand-alone charger?
    • a USB connection may be nice, either for recharging and/or for a computer recording interface. It'll probably bump up the price considerably.
    That's all I can think of for now.

Eddd likes this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He's looking for one under $40. You're not gonna find many of those features on one so cheap.

Eddd likes this.