He is to hard headed

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by gary mitchell, Nov 17, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have a friend at church who bought a used Epiphone type ES 335. He got it for a decent price I guess he paid $225 for it. Its loaded with Epiphone Alnico classic 57s. He wants to get a better sound his words. He is an awesome guitarist , at church he uses a Fender Deluxe amp. I have tried to pound it in his head, that here is companies out there like GM, GFS, Fleor , that makes pretty decent pickups. For some reason he does not want to go that route. He said that he can make those pickups sound good. He said he would rather buy pots, caps are what ever. And I told him for the price of the pickups I have mention it might be just as cheap to change. I don't understand his reason but its his guitar. So can you suggest pots and caps to use and maybe take the chrome cover off and get some of the wax off, I heard they really went crazy on wax for some reason, but please can you help. Here is a picture just like the guitar he bought. He looked it up and it does have the classic alnico 57s in it. maxresdefault.jpg

2. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I'm not sure the issue. The Epi CH57's are very good pickups and it's just, to me, no reason to change. A Cap change with height adjustment would most likely be best for adjusting the sound. I wish I had another set of the stock 335/Dot CH57/CH57 sets for my Firefly. They will most often have two CH57's although I've heard of CH57/HOTCH57 commonly as well. Personally I seek them out when I catch them at great price. Nothing against the other brands, but like him, I can see no need. Unless he is going for very high output type sound, which I doubt for church.

ETA: Funny coincidence, I just moved my NC6 Bullet Series with CH57/HOTCH57 into the rack next to my chair for playing the next day or two. LOL.

mb doug, MrYeats, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  3. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Ditto @jefffam ! Not much to be yielded by changing the components alone IMHO. That being said, I have a buddy who swaps out the wiring harness on every Asian made guitar he buys and swears it is the best $60 you can spend. He likes the 920D custom shop stuff. Honestly, I don't hear a difference except maybe a quieter switch or pots with no crackle, but he seems happy.

[​IMG]

4. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

I guess if you are going to indulge in that kind of work on a hollow body you might as well go "all-in" and do the full "Jimmy Page 335 mod". In that case you are increasing tonal combinations and adding some unique "secret sauce" to an Epi. You are looking at $139 plus labor to install so its costing more than half as much as the guitar, but hey, to each his own! If I get really bored with my 335 copy I might buy the components and do this myself as a project!

From 920D:

"This harness will take your existing ES335 from “stock” to “rock” in no time at all. It utilizes a wiring schematic made popular by Jimmy Page and features 4 push/pull pots that will add to your pickup configurations - 21 combinations to be exact. Independent coil splitting, phase control, and series/parallel switching. This harness brings just enough options to the table without being overwhelming or unnecessary. You won’t be disappointed in this wiring harness."

[​IMG]

5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’ve never noticed a lick of difference in changing a Cap... though I have with Pots (especially if they were getting noisy). That a Dot standard, or Deluxe? Because sometimes the Deluxe’s have full size pots... often CTS (The Pro’s w/coil split always do)... so again, don’t need a change (maybe just a cleaning)

Most often, what a cap change gets you is a change in control span (because the value of the RC network, now has a different curve), some perceive this as an improvement, more likely it just gives them what they are more/most used to as to tone=X (number on pot). Maybe that’s all he wants (hopefully, because that’s all he’s going to get with a cap change).

I have the Alnico II Probuckers in my 339 Ultra, and have had the Epi ‘57 classics in other guitars.
    I like them... but don’t love either of them. I won’t mod the 339 (as it’s the one of the few guitars I have that’s worth something), but I can say without hesitation that I prefer the GM ‘57’s in my Ibanez AS73 over either the ProBuckers, or A’57’s from Epi.

6. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

There have been occasions where a wiring change "woke up" existing pickups but it's not a strategy I would recommend you just throw against the wall to see if it sticks. I wouldn't change wiring unless something was mechanically wrong or you wanted a different configuration. Better sound wire, pots and caps seems like a lot of placebo effect to me.

In terms of pickups, if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - or maybe no road will. If you are going to throw different pups against the wall to see what sticks, "cheap and cheerful" would be a better way to try it.

mb doug, dbrian66, radiotech and 4 others like this.
  7. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    By the way I am stupid but what does HOTCH mean.

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Hot CH ‘57

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  9. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
  10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

what does the CH stand for?

mb doug likes this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Stock label part number for Epi Alnico ‘57’s

mb doug likes this.
  12. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    He went with the Epiphone Pro Burst something , have not heard it but he saids he is happy

mb doug likes this.
  13. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Has he ever changed the guts in a 335? Let him know that for me it was an 8 hour job.

mwmeci, Viking and mb doug like this.
  14. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I guess he has, he is playing it, sounds pretty good

15. JKjr

JKjr Squier Talker

May 13, 2010
    Raleighwood
    That guitar has full size pots and decent wire. The switch WILL break...wait till it does.
    I find the Alnico 57's muffled, stifled, and strangled. If you remove the cover you'll see 1 cubic shyteload of wax. Melt the wax out and they open up like nobody's business.

16. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I replaced the stock EPI 57s in my 335 to Gibson Classic 57/57+ and there was a big different. Much more awake, less dull sounding.

I put the stock ones back in the 335 when I sold it and the Gibsons went in an EPI LP.

17. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    For what it's worth I have an Epiphone Dot with those pups in it and it is one of the few guitars that I have that still has the stock pups in it - not just because they are a pain in the nether regions to change either!

I did find with mine that it seemed more sensitive to height adjustment than in my solid body Epis.