Have you ever had a guitar disappear?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Jun 17, 2020.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Nut

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    My heart goes out to you. I have misplaced a Ross Compressor and torn the house apart several times. The day I find that thing...

MI redneck, Eddie and One String Sam like this.
  2. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Back in the 90's I helped a friend move house and after it was complete realised he'd left behind a Kay Flying V. The area was the absolute worst of the worst in the city and it was a case of once you're out you didn't go back for love nor money. The irony was that I lived in the top floor of the same building, was basically the only one left in the entire street, area had got so bad the city had decided to tear it down and start again. Those last few months of living under siege environment were...interesting. Re the V, it was one of the through neck models and in a previous shared flat he'd came home from work one day to find it leaning against a wall with the headstock snapped off, no one ever admitted to being responsible. He'd never had it repaired so maybe softened the loss. He replaced it with an Epiphone V which I took off him when he welched on a debt, I felt bad about it and eventually sold it and as the decades have passed I've given him a couple of guitars to try to ease my guilty feelings re the V. A tale of comedy, farce and tragedy.

Eddie likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Man, you're right about that. I'm still going through boxes from a move ten years ago. I keep asking myself why I need to keep boxes of stuff if I haven't needed it for that long... yet I can't bring myself to just haul them to the dump.

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    That sounds just like my parents.

Eddie likes this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    When/if it comes time to move, I'm getting a 30 foot dumpster and tossing all my wife's crap into it. No way we're moving into another house so she can clutter it up with stuff she "needs" but hasn't touched in 15 years since we moved into our current house.

6. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Careful, she may take revenge doing the same with the NCs :eek::eek:

MI redneck and Eddie like this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

In my case the stuff is packed full of memories. Every single thing I look at reminds me of something I did with my father or mother. It's slowly getting sifted through though, and I'm keeping only the really important stuff. :)

8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

ha ha. Too funny ... but totally true.

9. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

no, but I've had a set of headphones show up that I completely did not remember having, after I had already bought another pair. Of the exact same headphones. Now both of my computers have a set of headphones :D

One String Sam and Eddie like this.
  10. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I was about to stash what I thought was an empty Logitech wireless keyboard box, with the rest of the electronics boxes. It felt awfully heavy for a presumed empty box. I had to cut the tape to get into it, and low and behold, a brand new keyboard & mouse set. I could not tell you when I bought it. At least I know it is within the last 18 months or so, since I moved back to Tennessee.:rolleyes:

One String Sam, radiotech and Eddie like this.
  11. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal
    It's in your clothes dryer with that missing sox.

Eddie and jamesgpobog like this.
  12. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Haven't lost a guitar, but I lose crap all the time, many times 3 minutes after I just had it in my hand. Drives me nuts and it's not a very long trip. Induces great self-loathing. Just opened cans of soda, tools, keys, thoughts...as in finding myself in the garage and not remembering why I went there.

It pisses me off so much, that I have started 'force-thinking', rewinding and then re-playing what I was doing. That helps some.

13. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Horror. You forgot horror. For all that real life Mad Max crap.

Eddie and MI redneck like this.
  14. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    They do have good weed in California.

MI redneck and jamesgpobog like this.
  15. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Over twenty years later I still have nightmares about the place.

jamesgpobog likes this.
  16. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I have actually had a similar situation. I lived in a place where I was the only single residence on a square block. The lots on the north and east were commercial, my side was 3 lots of duplexes, my house (all lots on the whole lot were 135' long), a parking lot (very low usage), a vacant/storage lot for a repair shop, and a Girl Scout hall. It was slated for re-development and near the end I was (with my wife and 2 small kids) the only person on the entire square block, everything else had been evacuated. It turned creepy very fast. It took 2 days when we moved, but I wasn't leaving a house 1/4 full of the remainder of my stuff just sitting there alone overnight. I spent my last night in the house (wife and kids were in the new place) in a recliner backed into a corner with a 8" b&w tv and a shotgun. Not much sleep, but nothing happened. I too have had many dreams (not nightmares) about that place/time.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    One String Sam likes this.
  17. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Deleted, tmi

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  18. jiveturkey1

jiveturkey1 Squier Talker

Mar 4, 2020
    michigan
    I would have lost my nuts by now if they weren't in a sack!

CVSteve and Angry Possum like this.
  19. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Not yet, but I've had two capos disappear in the last year. It's kind of confounding.

Angry Possum likes this.
  20. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Capos and guitar picks go to where your lost socks go,,,, to sock heaven.
    Someday they all meet up in heaven. Capos, Guitar Picks and Socks. Can't wait, some day, we will all be together. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    otisblove and Taurus like this.