Has there been a Squier with ebony fretboard?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Best1989, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:20 AM.

1. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Thread title.

I'm thinking about a mid-term Squier guitar project and I would like to find a dark fretboard for it. Before looking for more "authentic" (Fender) or custom (Warmoth $$$$) options, I wanted to know if there has been ever a Squier Strat with ebony. I don't recall any, but I'm not the most versed here.

I guess I can look for a very dark RW one, or maybe one of those in the new Contemporaries. What are they using for those? IL or PF?

2. Squier never used ebony as fretboard material. There have been some very dark rosewood boards that look like ebony at first glance, but that's more miss than hit.
    Squier now uses Indian laurel.
    Cheers, Barrie.

3. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Check some old mij necks some of them had really dark rw fretboards. I have one so dark you would swear it's ebony.

4. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Thanks Barrie, that's what I thought.

Yeah, I guess I can find a dark RW one. To be honest, the one on my SE is pretty dark, but I don't want to take that one apart. I'll keep an eye on the local market to see if I can find a good one. Paying $300+ for a Warmoth is not very enticing right now lol

5. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    What about using a Minwax Ebony Stain Marker?

Even a gel or liquid stain might work, but you'd have to be very careful to keep it off a raw neck.

6. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I have zero experience with the product, but I considered that too. My only fear would be if it starts staining my fingers while playing :eek:

Have you used it? How was the experience? I know there was a thread here not too long ago talking about it or something similar.

Kenneth Mountain and RoyalWe like this.
  7. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    I have not. :(

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. I used a Min-Wax ebony stain once. It darkened the rosewood, but not as much as I expected. I guess leaving it on longer or using several applications might darken it further. The stain once dry, did not transfer to my fingers. I believe I lemon oiled the fretboard also.
    Cheers, Barrie.

9. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2018
    Philippines
    those older Squiers have darker RW than the newer ones.

This. I also have one MIJ still dont know what brand it is but the RW is so dark i thought it was ebony at first.

10. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    FB_IMG_1593537343607.jpg
    I picked up this ebony neck off eBay awhile back. If memory serves, it was around 70 bux.

11. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I'll have to try it, then. Seems like a good option.

Wow, that looks great!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Wow! There should be lions on that thing somewhere. At least a stone lion guitar stand.

13. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas

Attached Files:

14. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I have thought of it but just wanted to see if there was any Squier option. I would love to have the Squier name there without having to get a decal lol

Because of the style I have in mind, I'm leaning towards getting an HSS Contemporary Strat and stain the FB if needed.

15. Zipslack

Zipslack Squier Talker

Jan 7, 2018
    Brookhaven, MS, USA