Harley Benton DC Junior measurements please..

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by 5ofeight, Sep 17, 2020.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Could anyone who has one of these guitars and has it set up give me the string height measurements( 17th fret) please, Ive just made a new bone nut for my HB and I'm looking for a starting height to set the action ( yes I know I should have made notes)..Thanks.

2. GilmourD

GilmourD Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2020
    Rutherford, NJ
    Isn't that figure really independent of the model and more dependent on action preferences? In general, though, most guitars ship with less than 2mm at the 12th fret with an almost straight neck and level frets.

drewcp likes this.
  3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Yes, im am looking for a general starting point though, as i said i should have taken notes before i stripped the strings off but didnt..

4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’d check/join the HB groups on Facebook, especially the modding ones, you’ll get some measurements in no time at all.

5ofeight likes this.
  5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Thanks man, thats what i'll do...

radiotech likes this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    glad to be of service!

7. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Got it sorted now thanks, was just looking for a base line to work with to set the action sutible for myself..thanks again.

radiotech likes this.
  8. GilmourD

GilmourD Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2020
    Rutherford, NJ
    Oh, jeez... I started writing this post yesterday and got burnt out from work. LOL

Regardless of guitar, when I replace a nut, I'll string it up and slowly file down the nut slots until there's barely any space between the string and the first fret when holding the string down between the 2nd and 3rd. Then I set the action at the saddles to feel. I'm not really one for measurements since every guitar is different and what works for one guitar might not for another. All my guitars are equally comfortable for me to play but if you took measurements on them you'd probably think I'd never been taught how to use a ruler. LOL

9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Yes, all my strat and tele guitars have differing setups, I use fenders specs as a start point though, so never having one if these DC guitars with a wrapround type bridge before and never having set one up I thought i would follow the same process, after all everything needs a base setting to work from.
    Got it now, guitar is setup perfectly for my use..

GilmourD likes this.
  10. GilmourD

GilmourD Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2020
    Rutherford, NJ
    Good deal. :)

LOL Honestly, I'm probably an idiot that does it the hard way, but at this point I've put enough guitars together from parts that I don't even think about a "factory" starting point anymore.

beagle and 5ofeight like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    If the strings are touching the 22nd fret, the bridge is too low.

Love,

Uncle Beags.

GilmourD and 5ofeight like this.