Guitar Tuners

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Cyberwiz64, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Cyberwiz64

Cyberwiz64 Squier Talker

Nov 20, 2021
    South Florida
    Last night I was tuning a few of my axes and I noticed something that many of you probably have come across. I have the Fender app for my iPhone and have used that to tune. I have a Line 6 amp and have used that to tune. I have a Fender Mustang amp and have used that to tune. I have a D'Addario headstock clip on tuner. I have an old Korg tuner with the 1/4 jack input.

I tuned up my 04 Squire Strat to the Mustang and tuned it. Everything showed green lights and no red for to flat or sharp. Something just did not sound quite right. I plugged into to Korg and it indicated a few strings were slightly out of tune. Out of curiosity, I tried the D'Addario headstock tuner and it indicated a few strings were out of tune. I tuned them and got green lights. I plugged back into my Mustang amp and it indicated a few were out of tune.

There is a Gibson video on setting up your guitar and the master luthier showing setting up correct intonation and he has some rack mount tuner How To Intonate Your Guitar - YouTube.

What are you using for tuners? With all my tuners disagreeing how can I trust the results? What do bands use to get consistent tuning across multiple instances especially when each player may have their own tech?

Let me know if you know. Thank you.

2. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm gonna follow this thread with great interest. I have 4 different ways to tune my guitars. 2 phone apps (1 is the Fender app), my amp, and a clip on Fender tuner . They NEVER agree. The Fender phone app sounds the best to my ears of the 4, so I just go with that.

3. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier-Meister

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    I have a TC Electtronic PolyTune on my pedal board, and I'll use the iStrobosoft app on my iPhone from time to time too. Strobe tuners are the bomb!

4. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I use a Peterson 450 strob tuner in the shop and Daddario clip on when playing home, a Korg DT-10 when on stage !

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  5. kdm1218

kdm1218 Squier Talker

Jun 18, 2021
    TX
    The various models you are using are probably not highly accurate. The most precise one I know of is Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, accurate to .02 cents. I have one of those I use for intonation when doing my setups. Gig wise I used a polytune mini which I think had .1 cent accuracy IIRC.

6. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I have two clip-on's; one is a Fender FT-004, and the other a Joyo "The 8th. Anniversary"...both look the same, and pretty much read notes the same. Standard tuning option only for Guitar, Bass, Violin, Ukulele, and Chromatic (change instrument with single button). There o.k for "on the fly" stuff.
    I have a Behringer TU300 Chromatic Tuner on my pedal board.
    I have a Korg Rimpitch C-2 sound hole tuner for my Guild acoustic/electric that doesn't have a built in tuner. That thing is awesome!
    And I have a Korg CA-2 (1/4 inch jack input) that is so nice for setting intonation via open string, harmonic at the 12th., and fretted at the 12th. method.
    Aside from the Korg's, the others are slightly different from one another as far as cents + or - to the flat or sharp side (including the pedal).

If they were all measured against a Peterson, I bet the Korg's would be found to be the closest of the lot to 'true'. I trust them (at least the Korg CA-2) to set intonation.

7. Led Pants

Led Pants Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2013
    Iowa
    Clip-on Snark for me, and I find it does the job nicely.
    I could tune a guitar absolutely perfectly, have perfect intonation, etc, but the second I fret a string I'd have a slight push or pull on the string so it wouldn't be perfect any longer. My point? Close enough is good enough.
    I used a Sabine ST-1100 tuner in my band years. Could either plug in or have it audible sound input for an acoustic guiter. That tuner was inaccurate like crazy, enough so that even my 'close enough' policy was void. Why I still have it I have no idea.

8. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I have the boss TU I bought it years ago when I saw guys tune in their guitars on stage without a tuner and it was like so freaking annoying, I decided I don’t wanna ever be that guy. I have an app on my phone, I think it’s called tuner light?

Robb, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. BoognishJr

BoognishJr Squier Talker

Jul 14, 2021
    Norman, OK USA
    I still can’t 100% trust that a Snark or clip-on is tuning as accurately as a line-in tuner, but I’m no expert. Seems like it does a pretty solid job though, and I bend and pull strings enough that I usually intentionally tune a little flat to my ear’s liking

but oh yeah I have a fender mustang and usually tune to it, or just tune to the song I’m playing… and often their guitars aren’t tuned perfectly either

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I usually use the tuner in Reaper. I have a Boss TU-3 on my pedal board and a 30 year old Korg CA-30 on my desk.

11. Censport

Censport Squier Talker

Sep 14, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    I have a pair of Korg CA-2s, one for home and one for the office. Keep a D'Addario clip-on in my tool bag (IT'S NOT A MURSE!:D) just in case. Also have an old Korg DTR-2 in my rack at home. Still want to get a Peterson strobe, if only because they look cool.

Years ago, I had a Seiko that was basic but excellent (like an SKX007 but as a tuner), and a Boss TU-12H in white that was just excellent. Sadly, they both stopped working.

dbrian66, BoognishJr and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  12. BoognishJr

BoognishJr Squier Talker

Jul 14, 2021
    Norman, OK USA
    It’s European!!!

Censport, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  13. pbcookies

pbcookies Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2020
    Chicago
    Another vote for the Turbo Tuner. It's accurate to a much greater degree than most people's ears are capable of hearing. A lot of people don't like it for on-the-fly use but I find it just as fast and easy-to-use as any style of tuner

[​IMG]

dbrian66, JurnyWannaBe and kdm1218 like this.
  14. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I like Snark. I also have an old Korg Tuner. But most of the time I just rely on the snark. Works for me.

15. Cyberwiz64

Cyberwiz64 Squier Talker

Nov 20, 2021
    South Florida
    I am glad I asked. This has turned out to be a lot more interesting than I anticipated.

16. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I use a clip on Snark usually, then tune by ear to get the sound I want.

Sometimes when I want a really accurate tune, or I am just feeling nostalgic I will use a tuning fork to tune the A string, then everything else relative by ear.

17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

This topic comes up a couple of times each year.

18. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    When I started playing all I had was

tuning fork.jpg

A very blurry tuning fork...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    drewcp, Eddd, grizzlewulf and 3 others like this.
  19. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Nut

Dec 3, 2020
    Djjd
    Polytune gets me close but I rely on my ears. My dad taught me how to tune old school when I was a lad. He used a tuning fork and his ears.

Robb and JurnyWannaBe like this.