Guitar strings

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ja_ma_lo, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Ja_ma_lo

Ja_ma_lo Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2021
    FL
    I cut all of my strings, and then I was putting new ones in, I effing broke my strings I winded too tight, tried locking the string by looping and pulling over. But now There are no strings on my squier and I have to wait at least 6-8 hours to go to gc and put them back on

2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Lesson learned.

Buy extra sets of strings when you go to the store.

Hadronic Spin, Eddd, Viking and 2 others like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I have a few "5-packs" that are missing the B string. :(

CVSteve, Hadronic Spin, Eddd and 4 others like this.
  4. SubSailer671

I suspect that most of us have at least one or two sets like that.

5. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I always have extra. Just buy a 5 or 10 pack of Musicians Gear strings from MF.

6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Nut

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Lesson learned?
    When you get down to your last pack or two...time to get more

7. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago adjacent
    Heh. Yeah.

I’ve got a plastic bucket full of the remains. Anyone need like twenty 42s? :-/

EDIT: It occurs to me just now that I should make friends with a Djent player. S/he can take the low extras and I’ll take the high.

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    That reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in the early '60s. My Sears acoustic abomination had a broken high E string. At the time the closest music store that I knew of that carried strings was 25 miles away and we only went there about once a month. So I waited and when we went I bought a single high E string.

My dad said, "Shouldn't you buy another in case this one breaks?"

I said, "Nope, I will be careful."

So of course after we got home I put the string on ... tuned it up ... and yes, it broke.

However, I somehow found out that, of all places, a local card shop carried individual Black Diamond strings. The shop was only about three blocks away so I got my strings there.

So, yes, always have a spare. Actually a spare for your spare.

CVSteve, Hadronic Spin and Loin Lover like this.
  9. SubSailer671

I have nylon string acoustic guitars, steel string electric guitars, steel string acoustic guitars, even a bass! Except for the bass (has anyone ever broken a bass string?) I have multiple sets of spares for each type.

10. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I saw a bassist break a string at a bar gig, and his buddy changed the string while the bassist was still playing the instrument. I think the band was doing a cover of Cream's version of Crossroads.

I have broken 4 D strings on my nylon guitar in the past 6 months. Just the D string. I currently have 2 sets of strings lying around with no D string. Something must be wrong with the nut or bridge.

11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    My 5 sting pack collection far exceeds my guitar collection...o_O

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Does anybody remember when Gretsch string packages came with spares for the high E and B strings? (1965 or so)

Doc538 and Rollmeaway like this.
  13. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Wind them very carefully and slowly as not to over-tighten them. Its a newbie error, you learned a valuable lesson just now, it may never happen again Grasshopper.

14. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Last time I broke a string while playing was in 1960-61 when I was 13-14 years old.
    Only ones since then were a couple that broke during string changes at the wraps on the ball end before I got them up to pitch. Both from the same 10 pack. Had to have been a bad batch. Both happened the same day on two different guitars. Manufacturer replaced both sets.

gearobsessed and metalmerchant like this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The only string I ever break is the high E, and even rarely that one. It's usually when I put new pickups in a guitar and try to use the same set of strings instead of putting a new set on. So, whenever I buy strings online, I also get a 10 pack of Daddario 9s

16. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Buy some “singles” of the high “E” or whatever you happen to break most often.Most shops carry singles for that reason.

driver8 and Viking like this.
  17. Ja_ma_lo

Ja_ma_lo Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2021
    FL
    UPDATE: I bought 2 packs of earnie ball 10s and didn’t try locking the string fancy style and made sure I had enough slack, easy as pie for my first string change, after the fact of breaking 3 strings

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  18. Ja_ma_lo

Ja_ma_lo Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2021
    FL
    You are right, i learned my lesson and did it perfectly my second time around.

metalmerchant likes this.
  19. Crocketgsxr6

Crocketgsxr6 Squier Talker

Mar 8, 2021
    USA
    i feel your pain, I just did this whit my acoustic and had to wait the a few days for the store to be open. it sucks but it happens to us all

Ja_ma_lo likes this.
  20. metalmerchant

metalmerchant Squier-Nut

Mar 25, 2011
    cornwall UK
    After a similar miss-hap to the op re-stringing back years ago, I soon learned not to cut off the old strings just unwind. Then if you bust a new one, you have a fair chance of re-using the old string to get by short term.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM
    Ja_ma_lo likes this.