Guitar Art - The Difficulty of Photographing Guitars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 5, 2021.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Perhaps. But you had the imagination to place the 'camera' there. And then the judgement to "see" what that "accident" produced. And then the confidence needed to share it.

All of that, sir, is to me at the very heart of "art." :)

-don

2. waynes world

waynes world Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    1A2764E0-06FB-44ED-8385-0A6B5F9DE0A8.jpeg How about sun reflections that look like X-rays? This one is the bones of a Les Paul:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 3:31 PM
    wraub, -r3-, Best1989 and 6 others like this.
  3. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    it does look like an x-ray! Cool! That’s what I thought it was upon first glance. An x-ray of a geet! :)

-don

4. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles

This composition is so up my alley! Well done. @waynes world !!

Regarding the assignment, I know what I want, I just need to shoot it.

J

waynes world, duceditor and dbrian66 like this.
  5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Better watch oozing tone from the strap button.

Oozing tone.jpg

6. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Clara

IMG_1560_LR-3.jpg

Canon M3
    Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 pancake manual focus lens
    Fotodiox AR to EOS M adapter
    1/100th sec
    f/1.8
    iso 400
    available light
    16x9 crop
    PP in LR6

I will comment on my photograph on Sunday...

Regards

J​

TVvoodoo, Guitarthur, Exhead and 3 others like this.
  7. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

I'll wait until then, too.

Well, apart from saying this: "Bellissimo!" :)

-don

dbrian66 and Hadronic Spin like this.
  8. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    To comment on your original post @duceditor , I know you are shooting your guitars with a phone camera (and kudos on the quality you’re constantly displaying with your guitar art threads), a white glossy guitar shot in daylight will certainly prove problematic.

A few things that could help:

Reduce the amount of light. You’re shooting with daylight as your main light source but you might not need as much hard light for a subject that is bright itself. Diffuse the key light with net curtains or a thin white fabric. And then bring in dark objects (like your arm chair) to introduce shadow and create more contrast in that way. Just as you can bounce light, you can bounce shadow.

Frame out the reflection. What normally works for other guitars might not be the best course for others. I would try repositioning the subject so that the hard light reflection falls on the edge of the guitar and not it’s face.

A Polarizer lens filter. They are relatively inexpensive and could be used with a phone camera simply by holding the filter in front of the lens of the phone. It cuts out certain UV lights (which you can control the degree of which) and this will eliminate reflections. Particularly good to shooting large reflective objects and surfaces, like cars and kitchens.

9. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

That is and new concept to me. One that, likely through my lack of understanding seems like drowning out noise via silence.

Funny your mentioning a polarizer. For years, back in my film days, that and a "daylight filter" were my constant companions. But my early experience with digital sensors was that they did not react predictably to the first. They'd simply not "see" the light if polarized. And sad to say I've never tried one since. Definitely worth a try!!! (Thanks)

-don

10. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Bouncing shadow was a bit of a turn of phrase.
    Think of it more like eliminating reflective surfaces. Every surface bounces light to some degree - this is how we see things after all. But dark objects absorb more light and then for bounce less. In a studio situation you could place a black flag or object close to the subject, likely on the opposite side of your ‘key light’ and it’ll enhance the shadow.

I would recommend checking out a circular polarizer, as by turning the filter in front of your lens, you are able to control the amount the filter affects the image. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing!

Ah that’s interesting you once worked in film. I’d love to hear about that some time! I had a sense of your expertise but didn’t know your background was in film. Please note, I was using the royal You for the most part - please don’t think I was telling you how to suck eggs! (That a bizarre English phrase, I wonder if you guys know it stateside!)
    I work in video production currently but have always had ambitions to push my way into film - some how, some day.

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  11. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    This made me think of noise cancelling headphones. I wonder how they work..!

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I think we should wait for Don to get back before we start posting our “shape” pictures.

13. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Squier Talker

May 26, 2020
    Sasquatchewan
    Got stuff to do, so I'm throwing mine in now. should have futzed with the light a bit more and its noisy, but you got shape anyway

[​IMG]

Best1989, wraub, duceditor and 2 others like this.
  14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That looks cool. Nicely done!

TVvoodoo likes this.
  15. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Sometimes you get lucky. Natural light and a pretty guitar usually makes for a good picture.

A2A61E2A-E9ED-48C2-8664-7A25BD074A12.jpeg C659DE26-8341-4219-8681-E6A1B493DD16.jpeg

Taurus likes this.
  16. wraub

wraub Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2012
    az
  17. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Fun seeing your "Shape" photos. Some really nice ones, too!

Shape, like form, pattern, color and texture, is always there. But when we intentionally see it -- and compose our photos so that others do too, it adds not only appeal to the photo, but can also subtly help the photo "say" to the viewer what it says to us.

Here's mine for this assignment.

SHAPE - Guitar Study.jpg

I hope others, too, will post and share here. And, whether they/you do or not, that all will feel free to freely comment.

So what shall we do next? How about "Form" since it related to Shape, but with the added component of expressing, suggesting and/or revealing a third dimension: Depth.

For next Sunday?

-don

18. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Glad your back! That picture with two guitars is great. I didn’t even think of multiple guitars.

Taurus and Hadronic Spin like this.
  19. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Here is my assignment picture. Reminds me of a curvy road ahead sign.

E04D8EE8-8275-49DF-A5A3-379CB3AB4A86.jpeg

20. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks!

What was fun to me was creating a shape that really only exists in the viewers mind. The curvy, blobby, one that represents the difference between the two positive shapes -- that of the ES guitar and the 'Paul.

This almost falls into the category of what designers (and, often, art teachers) refer to as "negative space." A shape or other area of interest whose man claim to interest is that it contains nothing but shape.

Such fun stuff to play with! :)

-don

dbrian66 likes this.