Guitar Art - The Difficulty of Photographing Guitars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 5, 2021.

1. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    You are a wizard!

I took my original Runecaster down to the river to explore various natural places to photograph my guitar in, some of those pics I've posted here before (years ago now). It's amazing how different lighting can make the guitar change, which is generally why nowadays I take photos during the daytime. My apartment is far too dark when the sun goes down.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That floating effect makes a strong image! ;0

-don

mb doug, Hadronic Spin and dbrian66 like this.
  3. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Examples:

PXL_20210206_211128785.jpg

Lighting here is during the day but the bright source is behind me. The transparent sapphire blue almost looks navy or black.

PXL_20210208_164245083.jpg

This shot I was trying to show off the transparent finish and the brass block but that's with the window behind me (and in the reflection.)

I'm going to try some of the techniques here and get back to you all.

mb doug, Exhead, duceditor and 4 others like this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Haha ... it's just balanced on a yogourt container.

Reflexions of surroundings.

02 neige_tonemapped.jpg
    Taking advantage of natural light.

11+.JPG
    Telling a story. You can see the dimple left by the yogourt container o_O

13_Snapseed.jpg

wraub, Eddd, grizzlewulf and 5 others like this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    In my tiny 1 room apt., only the outside wall has a window, and it gets no direct sunlight coming in, so I have to rely on the available reflected light coming in through the window, or artificial light, or flash for all my photos.

Eddd, mb doug, Hadronic Spin and 2 others like this.
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Take them outside. That’s where the really cool pictures happen in my opinion.

mb doug, Hadronic Spin and duceditor like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There's no good outside location close enough, and with my health as poor as it is, even carrying an 8 lb. guitar any further than across the room is difficult for me.

8. Guitarthur

Guitarthur Squier-Meister

Oct 21, 2020
    Maine
    I spend hours looking at straps that would look cool with my guitars . It’s tough to match them up long distance .

mb doug, dbrian66 and Hadronic Spin like this.
  9. Guitarthur

Guitarthur Squier-Meister

Oct 21, 2020
    Maine
    That sunflower strap is undoubtedly the most beautiful “sling” I have ever seen! And I’ve seen a few in 55 years of playing music . I’m serious !!

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Squier-Meister

Apr 6, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Some beautiful pictures on this thread; I love the snow ones in particular. I've got a DSLR, but by no means an expert with it, mostly used in auto mode if I'm honest. I often find I get better pictures (even if not technically as good) just using my phone.

I find it hard to capture the colours properly sometimes as well, particularly my Tele as it seems to change in certain lights. I was trying to capture the new strap I got for it in this photo; it's a wide 3" padded one which helps with the weight, but I also wanted to go for something other than my usual plain black. It's fake 'Ostrich' finish, I think it kind of suits the Tele for some reason.

I've cropped the picture and there was an overhead light on, as well as the low level lighting under the cabinet. I can't remember if I used flash as well now as I took a bunch of different ones, but liked the colours better on this.

Tele 10 Edit.jpg

11. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    For the several of us who expressed interest in working with the 'isolation' tool/approach to bettering our images, may I suggest a simple start: That of SHAPE.

How about we each plan to post here a photograph on Sunday that has a guitar as the "subject" but where shape is the main focus.

Just as a thought -- that to make this exercise truly helpful... Lie a Stratocaster on the floor and photograph it would in a real sense fulfill this self-assignment. Shape is, after all, what that guitar's remarkable appearance is all about. But let's try to do more than that. To find some way to use shape that depends on our choices in setting up the photo, and not just depend on Leo's amazing ability to do that for us.

Thoughts? Questions? Fire away!

I look forward to see what we each produce.

And note: This is NOT a competition. It is an exercise where each of us will, via our thought and work, help one-another to grow in seeing the possibilities that come with the challenge of guitar photography. :)

-don

12. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Some nice artistic shots in this thread.

When taking pics for an ad I think it’s important get attractive, accurate shots. That can be tricky with a cell phone camera. I put an acoustic up for sale yesterday. It’s super shiny and had to experiment with lighting to get clear shots of the grain without a lot of glare.

F5EF86A1-26D3-4F75-8047-F0F7837AD7D4.jpeg
    DF800D66-D4ED-4F1E-A2F6-F68CFCAA123D.jpeg

13. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    This truly is the "key thing".

mb doug, Hadronic Spin and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Meister

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    I have bought guitars just to get the strap that came with them.....

Amelia, mb doug, Guitarthur and 3 others like this.
  15. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Came home from work and took some pictures for our assignment! Didn’t realize I had until Sunday. :) Well now I have a few days to see if I still like what I took before presenting it to the class. LOL

16. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I also did mine. But I am ‘retired’ and have abundant time. Better for no one to feel rushed. And some may wish to try more than one approach before choosing what to submit to the discussion.

Let’s make this fun for all! :)

-don

17. Jim Pallace

Jim Pallace Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2021
    Baltimore, MD
    Great thread...! Enjoying all the pix

Hadronic Spin, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  18. Jim Pallace

Mar 17, 2021
    Baltimore, MD
    4AAA81DC-9E7F-4935-8FBE-17746D8D47FC.jpeg Nothing special on this quick iPhone shot but it shows some nice quality neck and fret end work on my SE.

Amelia, Hadronic Spin, Exhead and 3 others like this.
  19. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    @Jim Pallace - I think it IS something special. :)

nice isolation via natural depth of field.

-don

20. Jim Pallace

Mar 17, 2021
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks Don...it was purely accidental..!