Grote's NEW T-TYPE Thinline

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by miket1117, Jul 25, 2020.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Well?
    Did you get it?
    What do you think about it???

2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It's Friday! It should be Grote thinline day for you. Did you get it? Thoughts? Pics? Etc?

3. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    UPS says they delivered it. I’m still at work for a few more hours.

Best1989 and radiotech like this.
  4. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    OK, here we go. The fit and finish are good. It was able to set it up easily ( I don't give points for or against the setup on guitars at this price point). The nut slots were a little higher than I like them. The neck has a thin satin finish and the fretwork is great with no sharp ends. The frets could use a polish to get rid of the slightly gritty feel but some aggressive bending would also take care of it. The tuners aren't that smooth but they seem to be loosening up as I move them more. The neck profile is kind of in the middle as far as thickness, not as full as my Grote set neck Tele. The maple fewtboard is a bit darker than the neck but it's only cosmetic. On to the body. It's some sort of wood, I think the description says it's basswood. The top, however, looks like it's a photo-flame finish. Every other flame top guitar I have, the figuring seems to "move" when looking at them from different angles. This one doesn't. The binding is well done. The edges of the F hole are finished in black. It has an interesting neck pickup route. It's way bigger than it needs to be for a single coil but it's not big enough for a humbucker or P90. The electronics are what you'd expect: small pots, PCB switch and ceramic pickups. Everything works properly. The bridge pickup sounds OK, but the neck pickup is dull, muddy and lifeless. I tried messing with the height but it didn't make much difference and it's got a lot less volume than the bridge pickup. The bridge works well but I'm not a huge fan of the six barrel saddle bridges so I'll probably replace it when I figure out what pickups I want to put in it. All in all I'm satisfied with it for the price.

gt8.jpg gt9.jpg gt10.jpg gt11.jpg gt12.jpg

5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    More pics. The P90 pickguard I have is shaped a little different than this one and it doesn't cover the end hole on the lower horn. It's close enough the edge of the burst that I could probably plug it and make it disappear for the most part.

gt1.jpg gt2.jpg gt3.jpg gt5.jpg gt6.jpg

radiotech, drewcp and Best1989 like this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    thanks. but if photo flame, ugh. I had expected a veneer or maybe a cap. Was I being too optimistic at this price?

Wizzer likes this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Um ... I just saw now the purple Grote Thinline is now $99.99. The black one, which was $99.99, seems to be sold out.

But who knew?

Forget my post. Like before, the pricing has suddenly changed and it now shows the black back in stock at $99.99 and the purple at the old price.

drewcp likes this.
  8. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Just received my Grote Thinline in Black. Here are my thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  9. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Thank you for the video! The black one doesn't look bad.

techowiz likes this.
  10. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Great review! Thanks. :)

techowiz likes this.
  11. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    After learning that those are fotoflamed, I'm leaning more towards the blue or the green. Seems like the quilted effect looks better than the flamed one. There's a blue one on eBay with real pictures that gives a better look at the burst. Although for $30 less, the black one is ultra tempting, lol

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Not to be rude but have we definitely established this guitar has a fotoflamed top? I would like to give Grote or the seller the benefit of the doubt so last night I sent an email to a rep in China. He or she responded that he or she will look into it. But that was about 20 hours ago and the rep said I would get an answer "in a moment."

That's a long moment so I am starting to think it does have a fotoflamed top.

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well I just got an "answer" back from the seller's rep. He or she said they were busy and "forgot the question."

Really?

I mean really?

Somebody there must think this is a joke. I will repost my question but believe me I will NEVER deal with this seller. Unbelievable!

Viking likes this.
  14. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Lol!

It is. Check the images on the article and compare it with the images on the reviews, eBay, and the guitars that have been posted here. The patterns are the same. There are some pretty obvious ones. The purple one, for example, has a darker part on the top left that is noticeable.

drewcp likes this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thank you. As I said I just wanted the seller/factory to give me an answer.

And now I have one. It came from the customer service rep who said he or she asked the factory and they didn't answer the question so it got forgotten but the rep asked the factory a second time.

And the answer is ... it's a picture.

However the customer service rep said that the process helps the environment by reducing the logging of the high-grade maple which would otherwise have to be used as the maple sought for such guitar tops is getting harder to find, the rep said.

All good points, I think. But the bottom line is folks, it ain't wood ... it's a photo of wood.

I don't know how much a difference that really makes and I've read online where sometimes the finished product starts coming apart or something like that over time. I don't know. Me? I have to admit the purist in me really wouldn't want a guitar with a photoflame; I know, I know ... it's just me being me.

I'm just curious and I wonder if we have had a post in the past about the pros and cons of photoflame finishes against "real" wood, even if you are talking about a veneer.

One thing I'd like to add is that the Firefly guitars, at least the earlier ones, did seem to have a veneer because if you look at some models, such as the brown spalted, they have a lot of different appearances. In fact in some of the models the spalt looks minimal and in some the spalt is almost too much, if you know what I mean.

drewcp and Best1989 like this.
  16. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    so are many desirable Japanese Fender’s...

it’s not going to make me buy, or not buy, a Guitar

... especially at this price point.

The quality of fretwork, and inlays on my Grote Jazz Box is miles above the two Firefly’s I had.
    I’m done with FF’s.

drewcp and mkgearhead like this.
  17. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Made me think of this.

18. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Yeah, I don't feel like it's a big detriment given the price point. If it was a $1200 Fender or a $2000 Gibson, then I would have a problem.

In my case, it just turned my interest from the purple one to one of the others. If I can't see the flame moving with light, then the quilt effect looks better. They should be all the same on the fret and sound departments, so I'm deciding by looks here haha

radiotech likes this.
  19. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Well, I know number 2 isn't true, so it makes me wonder if number one is true. If it's an image or a stamp or whatever, it doesn't really need to have a maple top. That image could just go on top of basswood.

Screenshot_20200810-230703_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I mentioned that actually (the lack of a tremolo bridge) also in my first email but I got no response to that item. But you're right.

drewcp likes this.