Green Book - should i give it a try? Music movies

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Blues256, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Will think about it, gonna give it a try i guess

2. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    The dump was closed on Thanksgiving.

Kickstand likes this.
  3. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

+1 on "Blues Brothers", "This is Spinal Tap", and "The Commitments".
    They've all aged well.

"Backbeat" (1994) was okay, being a "dramatization of the Hamburg, Germany phase of The Beatles' early history". The Pre-Ringo period.

"Florence Foster Jenkins" (2016) - "The [mostly true] story of Florence Foster Jenkins [Meryl Streep], a New York heiress who dreamed of becoming an opera singer, despite having a terrible singing voice." Simon Helberg (of "Big Bang Theory" fame) does a great job playing the role of Cosmé McMoon (yes, that was his real name), her piano accompanist.

"The Harder They Come" (1972) - "Wishing to become a successful Reggae singer, a young Jamaican man [Jimmy Cliff] finds himself tied to corrupt record producers and drug pushers."
    I never "got" Reggae until a Jamaican room-mate convinced us all to go see it. Suddenly it made sense to me, musically.

"Shine" (1996) starring Geoffrey Rush, a bio-pic - "Pianist David Helfgott, driven by his father and teachers, has a breakdown. Years later he returns to the piano, to popular if not critical acclaim."

"Stomp Out Loud" (1997) - "Stomp Out Loud is a series of instrumental musical vignettes exploring found instruments and the music in our everyday lives. The sound of sweeping. Broomsticks clacking against each other. Trash can drums. Water splashing. In Stomp Out Loud, professional musicians find and explore the music in the unlikeliest places, resulting in complex rhythms and one of the most interesting concerts ever performed."
    One of my favourite bits is some people playing cards, slapping the cards down in a rhythm.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Just off the top of my head, "The Girl Can't Help It" (amazing 50s pop stars at their height) and "That Thing You Do" about a fictional band managed by Tom Hanks, which reminded me of why I wanted to play electric guitar and join a band in the first place.

5. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Ever seen ‘Once‘ or ‘The Commitments’?