Got a USA strat, what pickguard would you choose?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by jskeen, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:35 PM.

1. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    So I traded recently for a newish USA strat Body/neck, but buddy kept the pickguard for his next project. I dug through the loaded pickguard stack and found these 4 options.

None are factory, two are my custom wiring jobs, and two are other builders custom creations. I'm just curious what you folks would consider the best "value add" to a nice USA fender black body and maple CBS headstock neck?

First is a matched set of gen 3 fender noiseless single coils. Second is a USA performer HSS set. Third is a SSS set of custom shop 59/61 single coils, and last is a matched set of Kent Armstrong lipsticks. All have full size pots, USA switches, and custom tone caps and custom wiring schemes.

Color schemes and wiring details could all be adjusted to taste, but what pickups would you cough up the most cash for, and why?

Thanks
    James.

Yah, yah, I know it's a harsh choice to have to make. That's what 15 years of collecting bits and pieces will get ya.
    20210716_205636.jpg 20210716_205557.jpg

2. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I would go with the Noiseless and put the white knobs and tip on it. Maybe add a blender pot too.:)

3. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not a fan of the N3 pickups, they have no highs. They are the worst noiseless Strat pickups I've ever had. I love the Yosemites, so I would go with the Performer HSS, or the SSS with the CS ones.

4. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Well...if you're thinking of assembling this for sale.....it's not going to matter on value no matter what loaded pickguard you put in it.....it's going to still be a parts guitar.....but if you want to keep it.....I'd use the 59/61's

6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Custom Shop 1st choice. Fender Noiseless my second choice . I bet those custom shop pups sing.