Good studio monitors for cheap?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Powerstroke, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:49 AM.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    If you're only recording stuff to play back on your own equipment, just keep what ya got and enjoy. But if you're sending files to clients or producers, you really should know what they're going to hear when they play them.

I've owned Polk and Bose home speakers, and they were both bass-heavy.

gearobsessed and drewcp like this.
  2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I'm of the opinion that you can probably "master" on any speakers you've "learned" the tendencies of. I have a small setup and it's been critical for me to listen to mixes on as many different things as I can - in the car, headphones, earbuds, regular stereo etc. You can't "trust" a single playback system.

Someone already mentioned bass. If your monitors are light on bass it's common to boost it so it sounds good on those less bass-pronounced speakers. Then you play it on something with strong bass response and you realize your mix is drowning in bass. For me, if the bass sounds great, it's probably too much bass.

gearobsessed likes this.
  3. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    They are. So are my sonys. I had some missions those were probably more like monitors

4. Gary7Sevin

Gary7Sevin Squier Talker

Sunday
    USA
    Hal Nico likes this.
  5. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I'm certainly wondering why not. Maybe I'll trade in the presonus audio box 96 for them lol.
    I am going back and for on these 3 audio interfaces I have. And I think I dont like the audio box 96 but the software might be nice.
    I was told I could return it as long as I don't use the software by the guitar center guy. Probably not true but I'm sure if its a problem they will eventually take it back. I'm using the presonus studio one demo right now, cakewalk, Reaper and audacity but I prefer cakewalk and studio one so far. I just need room to set up a small studio and get rid of some of these 4x12s

Gary7Sevin likes this.
  6. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Nut

I got a pair of Presonus 3.5 for my office aka the shoebox and they sound fine. I really like the level of detail they put out. I got mine for 89 dollars and it was money well spent.

I have a pair of JBL308P waiting for my music room (12'x22') to be built. I still might put my Presonus down there as well. And I'll have my home stereo in there as well. I'll have 3 references in house and my car, too.

Powerstroke likes this.
  7. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Are they that good? Hmm
    I may pick up some or the Mackie ones or the m audio that are one sale at gc for $79
    Not alot of used stuff around locally

8. kdm1218

kdm1218 Squier Talker

Jun 18, 2021
    TX
    @Powerstroke I have Eris 4.5 and enjoy them. For budget stuff I think they are great.

9. wak atak

wak atak Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2021
    florida
    the ones i have are bluetooth

10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Im looking at some stuff here tonight
    I tested some Samson 5" at same ash. Really nice for 119 but only rca a 1/8 Jack's.
    I'm probably gunna get the m audio bx5 . But the mackies with bt would be nice. So hopefully I can demo both
    Theres these used jbls for 55 less. Maybe those Screenshot_20210913-193305_Opera.jpg Screenshot_20210913-193223_Opera.jpg Screenshot_20210913-193103_Opera.jpg Screenshot_20210913-193043_Opera.jpg Screenshot_20210913-193027_Opera.jpg

Charvel Guy likes this.
  11. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier-Meister

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
    Not home studio level, but I recorded at a studio that used ATC SCM45A monitors....my tooth fillings fell out and I think they are still under the studio couch! Amazing sounding speakers but very pricey. Anyway, Mackie or Behringer have decent monitors that won't break the bank.

Powerstroke likes this.
  12. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I bought the m audio bx5 and returned the audio box 96. They were on sale $99 a monitor.
    The used jbl speakers had something wrong with them. But in a sound test the m audio blew away the jbl ones on the display. It was as if 4 speakers were playing compared to the jbl

gearobsessed likes this.
  13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I might have to do so major changes 20210913_224423.jpg 20210913_224239.jpg 20210913_224652.jpg

kdm1218 likes this.
  14. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    You can't go wrong with m audio bx monitors!

Powerstroke likes this.
  15. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Holy fkn sh5t! Wow. These are amazing.
    100w per channel for sure. Damn these are so clear and just amazing they were shaking my table but never sounded muddy. Viking metal amon amarth sounds amazing and accurate. So many details. You can really appreciate the production of the tracks on this album. These things give me goosebumps listening.
    Wow. Im glad you guys mentioned these. Wow 20210913_234131.jpg

LutherBurger and shingh2002 like this.
  16. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  17. Gary7Sevin

Gary7Sevin Squier Talker

Sunday
    USA
    I've been using a simple 1/4" to USB audio interface cable (from the Rocksmith game) in conjunction with Audacity and BandLab with a $40 Home Theatre AC powered 2.1 speaker set up into an HP OMEN laptop with pretty decent results. BandLab is totally free and has tons of features, but it's web based so you need a good internet connection for it to work properly. I also have a C920 Logitech webcam (set at 1080p resolution 16:9 aspect ratio ), a Blue Yeti USB mic for voice and OBS Studio (which is also free) so I can record myself playing in real time audio & video simultaneously. I don't use Audacity or Bandlab for the recording (I set them both for "moitoring" only), then I just configured OBS Studio to record both the audio and video. This setup is plenty good enought to record my practices and no mixing is necessary post recording. You can play it back immediately after your done recording. I still am thinking of getting the $99 Presonus Speakers as an upgrade though because my Home Theater Speaker set is now 8 years old.
    Rocksmith cable $20
    Blue Yeti Mic $99
    Home Theater Speakers $40
    Logitech C920 $75
    Audacity, Bandlab & OBS Studios - FREE

18. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
  19. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Class ab amp. 60w to woofer and 40 to tweet.
    Pretty impressive when compared to the other ones at gc. It was pretty amazing. For some reason jbl used a class D amp. Not a fan of class D. So glad I didn't buy those. Plus they didn't work when we plugged in the used one. Very low sound. The guy told me that they probably didn't check it with the TRS Jack and when they brought him in they were probably tested on the XlR.
    They didn't sound bad but after a few minutes of trying to get the used ones to work I quickly said I'm going to pass on those, I will buy the brand new M audio.
    They did not have the Mackie green ones out. I did hear a 8 inch m audio I think. Some of these places just don't have proper demos.
    I tried the Samson 5 inch ones and 3.5 at sam ash. Those were actually very good but it was a deal breaker that they only had rca and 1/8 input.

20. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    If
    If you have a bandlab account, download cakewalk by bandlab. It's free. Its best one ive seen. I tried what you're using. Get cakewalk you'll like it. No internet connection needed once installed. It's really good.
    Studio one prime is also free.
    Audacity is ok. I prefer cakewalk.

Gary7Sevin likes this.