Good studio monitors for cheap?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Powerstroke, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:49 AM.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Or is there such thing?
    I'm playing around with the presonus audio box 96 and 2 different focusrite scarlett box's.
    It's going into my home stereo for now.

2. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Behringer truth B2031A, M audio bx8 or Mackie MR8 are good options if you can find them used they should be pretty affordable.
    My friend runs a commercial studio and has a few different pairs, but he has an older pair of behringer monitors that he said were made by a respectable company and he rates them highly. I wish I could remember the model

Charvel Guy and LutherBurger like this.
  3. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I'll have to keep my eye out and see what pops up on used

gearobsessed likes this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
  5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I just had a pair of M Audio BX5 Graphites and they were really good. One is even enough. They're less than $150 at GC.

Powerstroke likes this.
  6. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    I've had a set of Alesis M1 usb 320Active speakers for over 10 years and still going strong(Alesis make quality stuff). The newer powered speakers without a sound card in them. These look good,

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=265022339575

Amazon reviews,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUY2470/?tag=squiertalk-20

LutherBurger and duzie like this.
  7. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I picked up a pair of Roland M 12c at a pawn shop for $80. My friend has the KRK system and for the money he has invested in them, I’m happy with the Rolands.:)

drewcp and Powerstroke like this.
  8. wak atak

wak atak Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2021
    florida
    I got Mackie CR5s.They seem descent, and were cheap compared to other similar monitors ($200 usd) for a pair

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    drewcp likes this.
  9. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Yeah they sell some pretty small ones.
    Now why do people use this style in the first place? There's lots of other options to monitor sound.
    I was always under the impression that they were supposed to be neutral

10. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    You're in a garage right? I honestly wouldn't go smaller than 8" unless you get a sub. 6.5" might be ok, but 5" or smaller won't fill out the bass in anything bigger than a shoebox room. Better to wait and save a bit for bigger speakers than regret buying small speakers.

drewcp likes this.
  11. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Yeah, you dont want studio monitors to colour the sound. They're meant to replicate the sound as honestly as possible. You want to know your audio is coming in clean, and not mixing to compensate for what the speakers sound like. Good example, my old krk rockit 8's had a hype in the bass, so I always mixed bass lower. When played back on headphones or in the car (where most people do their listening these days) the bass wasn't as present. The more neutral the speakers, the more you can trust the mix.

Hal Nico likes this.
  12. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    That's what if figure. Funny how people spend money on awesome sounding home stereo stuff (myself) and then need something boring sounding. I just need a simple setup that will make for less clutter. Maybe Bluetooth would be a good idea since I use my phone more than anything else

13. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    Presonus have a good rep.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetoot...CHAYZM&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_16&tag=squiertalk-20

gearobsessed likes this.
  14. fleezinator

fleezinator Squier Talker

Jun 22, 2020
    Texas
    I’ve a pair of presonus Eris E5. From what I’ve read and what my audio engineer friend (who highly recommended this) tells me, it’s a great flat set that should be considered as ground floor before venturing into better, most spendy options. To my ears they sound amazing. They can also accommodate the optional subwoofer should you need to hear/ feel those lows.

15. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Accurate sound doesn't mean boring sounding! Good quality monitors will sound amazing with a good mix! The idea is to shine any areas in your mix that aren't great so whatever your producing will have a better chance of sounding great on the myriad of listening devices people use these days.
    I used my monitors for everyday listening as well.

drewcp likes this.
  16. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    This question isn't quite on point, but why do players with just small home studios go with powered monitors instead of an inexpensive stereo amplifier or receiver through a pair of decent speakers? I've never understood the wisdom of duplicating the cost of the amplification section, but then I just drive some ancient Radio Shack speakers through a Technics 20W receiver. But I'm not really set up as a studio, so I don't really know anything about what I'm missing. Please enlighten. Thanks.

17. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    The 3.5 are they gonna be good enough. Some suggestions were 5 or better
    I saw these ones
    I'm with you . I have been wondering the same thing for a long time.
    I have some of those heavy metal Optimus book end speakers. They really sound amazing. Some Polk book ends and some bose 401 towers as well as several under rated Sony towers.
    Yamaha natural sound auto class a integrated amp.
    Some others too.
    I have a onkyo. Amp I think is pretty accurate.

Attached Files:

Michael7 likes this.
  18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Studio monitors are for "reference", meaning that they're designed to be honest, with no sweetening anywhere -- what you hear through them is what's actually on the tape or in the wav file. Home stereo speakers are designed to sound "pleasant" -- they lie to you by emphasizing/de-emphasizing certain frequency ranges.

Michael7 and drewcp like this.
  19. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Do the actually have Bluetooth. I see the ones on gc website don't say but on the back of the speakers it says Bluetooth