Good FREE app for tuning, intonation

Is Nad overreacting?

• No way.This is awesome! I can't wait to intonate my guitar.

• It's cool, I guess, but are you really this excited about it?

• C'mon, man -- everyone knows this! What rock have you been hiding under?

• Dude, man up and buy a Peterson StroboStomp.

• What is "intonation"?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
I just had my mind blown, and as a result I set the intonation on my Strat in record time. @Mossberg152, this one's for you!

The Guitar Tuna app has a clear, steady display, but it only reads the six notes in standard tuning. It won't read the octave notes at the 12th fret. So when I'm setting intonation, I use the Boss app. It reads the notes, but it's frustrating because the display bounces all over the place, and it has trouble picking up the open E string. I use it because I can't really justify spending $50-150 on a good pedal tuner for as infrequently as I would use it.

Today I discovered that Guitar Tuna has a setting for 12-string guitar, which of course reads the octave strings. Since those match the 12th fret notes on a 6-string, it enabled me to get intonation readings for five of the strings (E A D G e). I couldn't get a reading for the B, but I was able to fret it at the 17th to get the app to read the E4.

Did I just stumble onto something fantastic? Did everyone else already know this and just forget to tell me?

Screenshot_20220729-141507.png

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2018
North Carolina
This is news to me, since I've never seen a tuner that doesn't just listen to any note and tell you what it is. "Fine Chromatic Tuner Version 3.00" does that. I got it free at the Google app store, a long time ago.

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Dec 21, 2018
France
Before I had a clip on tuner, I used an excellent application called "Clear Tune", but I can't find it in the app store anymore.

However, to be honest, none of these apps have been as reliable as a professional grade tuner, especially concerning the low E string.

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
EDIT: Added a link

I have Pano Tuner on my iPhone, and I can intonate with it (I've only used it for 6 strings).

It can "hop around" a bit, but it's way easier to see what's going on than with the BOSS app...in my opinion.

Tolerance can be set to +/- 10, 5 or 2 cents. I keep mine on 5 cents.

Regards

Jason

Last edited:

Mossberg152

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
Lorain, Ohio
I just had my mind blown, and as a result I set the intonation on my Strat in record time. @Mossberg152, this one's for you!

The Guitar Tuna app has a clear, steady display, but it only reads the six notes in standard tuning. It won't read the octave notes at the 12th fret. So when I'm setting intonation, I use the Boss app. It reads the notes, but it's frustrating because the display bounces all over the place, and it has trouble picking up the open E string. I use it because I can't really justify spending $50-150 on a good pedal tuner for as infrequently as I would use it.

Today I discovered that Guitar Tuna has a setting for 12-string guitar, which of course reads the octave strings. Since those match the 12th fret notes on a 6-string, it enabled me to get intonation readings for five of the strings (E A D G e). I couldn't get a reading for the B, but I was able to fret it at the 17th to get the app to read the E4.

Did I just stumble onto something fantastic? Did everyone else already know this and just forget to tell me?

View attachment 238891
Nadnitram, I got your message! I downloaded this now, too. I will try it tomorrow and see how I do. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mossberg

Ray Stankewitz

Jammin' in my Music Room
Staff member
Oct 11, 2014
Central Indiana
I am new in this forum. I have some questions about this forum. These questions are shown below:):):

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/something-else-to-check-while-eating-my-oatmeal.195040/

If anyone has information about my question. Please give me answer below. I am very confused about thiso_Oo_O.
You might actually start your own thread and ask a question or two. So far, you've done a "Me Too" addendum to two existing threads and you have not put forth what you actually want to know. That makes it hard for us to figure out what to tell you. As far as being confused, I'm sure we are just as confused, trying to figure out just what you're asking.
Go to the front page and you will find a button on the right side that is labeled "Post Thread." Click that, decide what sub-forum to put the thread into, then type your thread. You might get an answer that way.

AllroyPA

Squier-Axpert
Dec 14, 2009
Philly
Tune Again is good too

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This app is pretty cool for that it's accurate enough and even includes a metronome you can tap a beat to and it tells you its bpm.

That said, I don't use it very much and prefer to use the app Boss Guitar Tuner, also available for free. It's a whole lot simpler and more stripped of functions, but that's exactly the thing: the app boots instantly (may not be an issue for folks with nicer phones, but Guitar Tuna does take a couple of seconds to launch), has no ads nor features behind a pay wall.

I guess this has to do with the way I use it: if I simply want to quickly get in tune, a quick, simple, no bs app is the way to go, and nothing beats a super lightweight and barebones app that's no more than a virtual Boss TU3. When I actually want it to be very accurate, to change tunings (which Guitar Tuna doesn't allow unless you buy premium) or to intonate a guitar, I grab my very accurate Korg pedal tuner.

radiotech

Squier-Axpert
Apr 23, 2014
Freedonia
When does my phone flake out?

Most times that I really need it to work.

Now I realize that part of this is shuffling it in a hurry when the occasions happens. I’ve pulled my phone out a million times to take a picture/video (for whatever reason) use the “Units” app to convert measurements, even used it as a level a few times… but when I’m out of tune, and don’t have a tuner (usually playing out in a pinch), is when the tuner app won’t work (usually because of too much background noise), even taking a picture sometimes… I was at a concert of a local power-pop band from the 70’s/80’s a couple years back, and the guitarist came up behind me (walking to the stage), and tapped me on the shoulder (he was volunteering Selfies his whole walk up there, I spazzed, and could not get my phone to reverse cameras (not the phones fault, my double-clutching the button), and none of them came out.

I get not wanting to buy a tuner if you don’t have to, and I do see a phone as a tool more than anything… but I’m still not going to count on one for daily tuning, much less intonation.

Boss TU12ex, side by side AGAINST my Peterson StroboPlus HD for standard tuning is just as accurate for intonation, and was half the regular cost of the Peterson (got it on a stupid deal for $127).

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
I don't use it very much and prefer to use the app Boss Guitar Tuner, also available for free.
My main complaint about the Boss app is that it doesn't seem to lock onto a note. I don't know if it's my phone, or if perhaps it picks up ambient noise (ceiling fan, etc.) in the room, but it bounces all over the place. It can't seem to decide if the note is a B or an E or an A or a G, or whether the note is exactly on pitch or 40 cents sharp. Guitar Tuna gives me a steady, consistent signal.
What I like about a pedal tuner is that it also serves as a mute button when I switch guitars, which I do often. No need to put the amp on standby, IF it has such an option.
If I ever played out, I'd certainly invest in a pedal tuner. Right now, though, it would just sit in a box with my delay, reverb, and Blues Driver pedals and patch cables.

Latest posts