Going from 9-42 to 10-46 strings...file nut?

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by Kiwi 5, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
  2. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Make sure the clothier or luthier remedies the tone wiring issue too. If he copies same the same wiring from the 250K pots to the 500K pots, the problem will still exist.

3. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Yes, I forwarded him the earlier posted link describing the issue. Even with the tone issue, I am still blown away with the neck and middle positions clean sound. Just some delay added in and it sounds awesome. Cant wait to be able to fine tune with a working tone knob!

4. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Squier Talker

May 14, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Mine isn't like that!

5. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Finally get the 500k CTS pots installed! Lockdowns tend to slow things down. Very nice being able to adjust the tone. I've tried playing with my the awesome Blackstar ID Core amp on the 'clean warm' setting and wow. Takes some of the sharpness off the sound, but when I'm playing through the Boss OS2, distortion sounds best on 'clean' only. The 10-46 strings bend so easily that I'm going heavy light strings next up. The Mustang HH is truly a keeper. The stock pickups are excellent and really provide a unique sound. Interesting that they are 'only' around 9k each. I knew they weren't that hot- but I still get wonderful distortion with the Boss. Special mention to my Behringer CS400 compressor sustained. Works great with the Mustang.

drewcp likes this.
  6. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    So you're gonna sound great, AND look great!:D

7. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Edit: meant to write Behringer Compressor Sustainer!
    I also find the Mustang HH is an easier platform for pinch harmonics than my Strat..no idea why. Also, ya gotta love late night drunken pinch harmonic practice. My neighbors may disagree.

8. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I’ve swapped a few guitars from 9s to 10s have never had an issue with the nut. If you’re concerned, just run each new string back and forth through the corresponding slot to see if moves freely or not before winding, and adding a bit of powdered graphite never hurts. You should be fine. Have fun...my daughter’s fiancé just picked up a Mustang HH, haven’t seen it yet.

9. campermoose

campermoose Squier Talker

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    I got 10-48 and the 48 was definitely sitting to high on the nut, asked tech to file, don't regret it a bit.

10. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Curious, what issues arise from not having the strings being all the way in the slots'?

11. campermoose

campermoose Squier Talker

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    For me, the top strings were too high above the first fret, filing solved it

12. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Looked at the outputs of P90 pickups, seem pretty close to the output of the Mistang HH. Anyone have a P90 guitar? How does the sound compare to the Mustang HH?

13. AliceUnchained

AliceUnchained Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2019
    Pacifica, Ca
    Your low E being out of tune on an open G chord sounds like the nut slot is too high. The best way to check your nut slot height without feeler gauges is to fret the 3rd fret with your ring finger and take your index and bounce the string on the 1st fret to see if there’s any action going on. There should be just a sliver of space between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret, and it shouldn’t be resting on the fret as well. If there is a noticeable space then all fretted notes up to about the 5th fret will play sharp, due to the extra distance the string needs to travel. Nut slot height is just as or more important that intonation. Also the back edges of the nut slot should make an inverted cone shape so that the string is only making contact with the front portion of the slot. If the back edge of the slot is making contact with the string, it could cause a few issues that would make a great playing guitar sound off in a few places. And to check if the slots are big enough, just press down a few times on the string behind the nut where the string is traveling to the tuner. If the string plays sharp after you do this then that means the slot isn’t wide enough and the string is binding in the slot during bends and vibratos.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  14. AliceUnchained

Aug 4, 2019
    Pacifica, Ca
    Also check out http://www.frets.com. This is probably the most accurate, in depth informative luthier guide on the web. It is such a great resource to have because everything there comes from a master luthier who’s highly regarded as one of the best.

15. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Great info. I used my guitar tuner app, and all the notes on the low E are around 15c high up to the 5th fret. Just outside the 'green zone', so slightly sharp.

16. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    P90s are different than HBs -- they kind of sit in between "regular" single coil tone and Humbucker tone --- P90 is a big fat single coil, after all

17. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Of course...I could compensate by tuning slightly flat...

18. AliceUnchained

Aug 4, 2019
    Pacifica, Ca
    Then the middle to upper section of the neck will be slightly flat while only the first 5 frets will be in tune. 3/4 of the neck will be flat....just sayin. Setting up the right way pays off

19. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Yeah, looks like the bone nut upgrade will be the next step. Having said that, I do enjoy the sound of the Mustang. On another topic- I did some research on why my guitars sound different, depending on time of the day. Early morning always sounds best.

20. AliceUnchained

Aug 4, 2019
    Pacifica, Ca
    Bone nuts are a pain to work down to fit and get the slots right. Graph Tech TUSQ XL is the best option imho. They come pre cut for pretty much every guitar. You just have to file the slots down a bit. They come slightly long and wide to ensure a tight fit, so a bit of sanding and buffing needed as well. The great thing about Graph Tech nuts is that they are super easy to work with but don’t allow the strings to cut down in to the slots over time. A bone nut takes much more time to file and sand. There’s not much sound quality difference to make the bone nut worth the time and effort.