Going from 9-42 to 10-46 strings...file nut?

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by Kiwi 5, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Hi Team...just received my new Bullet Mustang HH. Right out of the box it sounds great! But I think going up to 10-46 is a good first mod, should I lightly sand the nut slots (fine grit sandpaper?) to open them up so that the larger diameter strings fit?
    Also- any one know the specs on the stock pickups? The bridge has to be at least 15k, and the neck is hot as well, must be 8K? Cant find any info on the web. I also have no idea whether the fingerboard is Rosewood or Indian Laurel...
    Last thought: The low E string, despite being in tune, sounds somewhat "off", I will find out tonight if a heavier gauge cures this. But when I play a G chord, the low E sounds almost out of tune- but it isnt.. strange. Asides from that, sounds great clean and I just need to work on my amp settings as well as my Boss OS2 to dial in a sizzling 80's metal sound. I can't see changing the pickups for a long time. Strings, maybe the nut, but that's all I can see for now. Tuners appear to be working so no need for changing. The sparkly blue is gorgeous....

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    10s should be fine with no mods to the nut slot

3. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    +1. Leave it alone from 9 to 10.

drewcp and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  4. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Any way to find out the specs on the pickups? I've googled and all I can find is "standard humbucking"..

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Leave it alone unless you start having tuning stability issues. When you do bends, does it return to pitch? I've found the Bullets I've owned tend to need at least a little smoothing of the nut.

I usually take a file to all my guitar nuts - helps me maintain pitch when playing the first few frets, which tend to be sharp.

I've probably filed most of the nuts on my guitars. i figure the worst case if I lower the action too much, I just install a new (upgraded) nut.

Shine and LutherBurger like this.
  6. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Hey those bullet Mustangs are great, I'd leave the nut alone unless you have problems. Just rub some pencil lead in the slots to help them slide better as you tune.
    I'm not sure on the pickup specs, but I would guess that they are generic ceramic pickups.
    If they sound good, who cares? If they don't, play around with height adjustment and pots and cap, or swap them out.
    Good to see another kiwi here :)

7. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Come to think of it, I think these guitars had a250 small pots? If you're handy with a soldering iron I would definitely try full size 500k pots. 500k are the usual spec for humbucker, dont know why they would put 250's with humbuckers

JurnyWannaBe and Loin Lover like this.
  8. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I took my Bullet Strat up to 13-56s for a while with no mods to the nut, and it was fine.
    I used plenty of GHS GraphitAll lube though.
    I can't play with 9s, they're just too . . . floppy.
    Now I've settled on 10s on the LP and 11s on others, never touching the nut.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    drewcp and BlueTele like this.
  9. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Changed to 10/46 strings after polishing the frets, lightly rubbing the grooves with the old strings, a bit of graphite, F-One oil on the fretboard...wow. Playing clean through my Blackstar ID core sound not just good, but excellent. Both neck and middle. Then, straight into Ozzy, 'Symptom of the universe' riff through the Boss OS2 and it sounds great! The pickups aren't as hot as I thought- but fantastic. Adding the legendary MXR PHASE 90 is, of course- always fantastic. Still early days, but seems to stay in tune. The best feature, is just how playable the Mustang is. It's just awesome. I'm going to keep digging to find out the pickup specs as I love data. What surprised me is that playing the jazz classic 'Autumn Leaves' really sounded nice on both neck and mid pickups. I haven't even messed with pickup height yet. I'll lower the bridge slightly tommorow...ahhhh...the journey begins.

Shine, JurnyWannaBe, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  10. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    I'll also find out re: 250 or 500k pot. Pretty sure most new model Squires have 500..

JurnyWannaBe and gearobsessed like this.
  11. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    I could be wrong but I remember a thread where someone on here had 250's in their's, I'll see if I can find it
    Edit: here is a thread showing it
    http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/squier-bullet-tone-circuit.137841/

But if it sounds good how it is, who cares?

JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  12. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Interesting link...I haven't really checked the tone, just have it around 6 ish, while I have the volume low and use the gain/volume on the amp as my main adjustment. I'll take a 'sick day' tommorow and see if my tone works...

13. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    yesterday I moved the pickup wire to the 1 lug...work like normal tone now... comes with 250k pots...

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Ours had 250K pots in it.

I replaced the tone pot with a 500K and it helped a lot with the muddiness of the pickups.

JurnyWannaBe and gearobsessed like this.
  15. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Get ready for a newbie question...what impact does upgrading to 500k have on sound? Louder?
    Oops...just saw last post
    Now I want 500k pots.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  16. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Nope
    Tone knob does not work! LOL! I wonder how long that would have taken me to realize...man that's funny. Cant be a defect on all, I'm sure I've seen reviews (Andertons) where they checked the tone. I'd love to hear a before after review on 250 vs 500k pot.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  17. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    The Mustang Bullet wiring is pants-on-head retarded. On most of them are wired such that the tone control only works if the volume is maxed out on 10. Plus the 250K pot nonsense. I left the 250K volume pot because I'm lazy and had an extra 500K pot laying around. Swapping out the tone was easy and I did it when I replaced the jack with a Pure Tone. OEM jack is perfectly serviceable, but the Pure Tone is more secure - you need to really want to take the cord out.

I can't give you a much better review than "less muddy". I guess a little more high end and slightly more articulate. It doesn't make them sound like Duncans, but it's worth the $6 for a new pot and cap.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  18. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    So you only replaced the tone pot with s500?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  19. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Correct.

Fix the goofy tone wiring while you're in there replacing pot(s).

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  20. Kiwi 5

Kiwi 5 Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    New Zealand
    Will do, the local clothier is going to replace both pots with 500k CTS ones. This will be the last mod I do on this guitar...well, I might change the pickups later. Maybe some cool tuners. The pickguard might be swapped for tortoise shell look. But that's it. No more.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.