Glarry telecaster....She's not so bad

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by cka73, Jan 12, 2021.

1. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Will post results with the OHMeter readings when I get the alnico pickups in from china in case anyone else is looking at a budget project like this. Haven't popped the hood yet, but I'm assuming tiny pots and switch. I think I have some good stuff in the scrap parts bin though.:)

2. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Pot holes in the control plate will have to be widened to hold a CTS pot.

But keep us updated on the progress and final evaluation. :)

3. Fredline

Fredline Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    For the price, it's a no brainer.
    Liking the color combo too.

4. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Nice looking guitar, especially in that natural finish, and the grain match seems very well done.

Reminds me of my cheap Sawtooth from when Walmart was clearing them out for $63. I put some sweet-sounding Dragonfires and a 4-way in mine, and reshaped the head stock and lacquered the neck, and it has been a daily player ever since.

I think Monoprice Indio Teles for $100 shipped also look like good guitars and have string-through bodies with modern bridges that I prefer, and the pick guard fits a bit better than the Glarry. We are fortunate to have as many decent quality options as we do these days.

5. metalxface

metalxface Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2021
    somewhere
    I got mine in "yellow" around the same time you got yours, I'm in New Jersey (they say they're in NJ) but mine shipped from CA x_x. I'm in the same boat with you, the sides were pleasantly sanded. I had ONE small crack in the finish by where the neck pocket has the curve that meets the neck itself, a really thin area that makes sense to crack. The rest of it was really nice as far as a $90 guitar goes--there were small issues but the smallest laziest set up on earth made it amazing. So yeah definitely backing you up, I think their quality control got better or they take more steps after getting their stock to their facilities that they then process with these extra steps. I know that months ago even years ago that was not the case, and it was a real huge gamble.

edit: should note, my pickups are 110% microphonic.
    I have uses for that though. it's exactly what I expected when I got it, kinda sketchy but in all the right ways ;)