Glarry telecaster....She's not so bad

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by cka73, Jan 12, 2021.

1. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Ok, I have recently aquired one of these. It's a pretty dang good guitar. I got a 3 piece well matched body in their natural finish. The neck is chunky, but i like this. I was prepared for bloody hands, but it actually has sanding applied at the edges and is smooth as silk. No rough fret ends. It came with a high set-up. I dropped the string height with included tools. Did a quarter turn on the truss rod and intonated it. I'm not seeing any problems here. Pickups aren't great, but not horrible. Anyone wanna back me up here? This is a pretty dang good cheap guitar.

2. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Matches what I've generally heard/read. Slap some decent electronics in em and they should be fun little Tele's

chopdoc and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I had a GLarry P-bass and it was more than good enough for me. :)

johnnywizzo, chopdoc and dbrian66 like this.
  4. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    I started learning guitar in the early nineties. I'm just amazed with CNC machinery and how good a hundred buck import guitar is now. Yeah, kinda garbagy ceramic pickups, but dang, these are so much better than what you used to get.

t

5. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Remember when an import mexican strat was $299? Now your looking at 5-800 for a mexican strat of the exact same quality! Kinda cool that you can get a decent guitar for a hudred bucks and drop a hundred dollar set of pups in for a great guitar.

6. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    No offense to fender. They make a great product.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. chopdoc

chopdoc Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2020
    Hammond Louisiana
    On Black Friday I picked up a Glarry semi hollow tele and an Epihone lp special. I love them both but with them sitting side by side I find myself wanting to grab the Glarry more. Its a fun guitar to play.

cka73 and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My first MIM was purchased new at Sam Ash for $299 around 1994. I think I got a bad one ... sharp frets, terrible feel, sounded like chit. Traded it back to Sam Ash a year later for $75. Turned me off to Fender products for almost 20 years.

Eddd, squierbilly, vlxerdon and 2 others like this.
  9. SuiCyco4Life

SuiCyco4Life Squier-Meister

Jan 1, 2021
    Texas

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  10. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Glarry's are really good. I wish they were avaliable in Australia.

11. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Still putting it through the paces. Another thing, the nut is cut beautifully. Yes, typical plastic, but I didn't have to do anything to it. Maybe I got lucky, but usually this is an area that needs work even on mid tier guitars.

12. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Well she's not pretty enough for Pictures,,
    But she sounds good.. :)

13. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS

squierbilly likes this.
  14. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Still shopping for a cheapo neck pup. It's fun to look. Get yourself a cheap soldering iron and go to town.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  15. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Added an eleven dollar cloth wired neck pickup from the same seller. Alnico 5. Lets get cheap folks!;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  16. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    $27.81 for two alnico 5 cloth wired pickups and $89.99 for the guitar. $117.80 into it. Will update on the sound.

17. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
  18. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Hard to say no to these budget instruments. The only issue is that most don't come 100% ready to play out of the box. After some tool cranking, it can be a nice player.

But a beginner or kid player would have trouble with these ... as they're usually not able to do the proper set up right out of the box.

Stratlover84 likes this.
  19. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    I agree. I used to buy and sell a whole bunch of guitars, and most needed a basic setup. I wondered how many folks got their guitar and thought this is just awful and put them back up for sale. Hopefully, with Youtube and other sites, people are figuring out that it isn't so hard to dial in about any guitar.

Stratlover84 and Eddie like this.
  20. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, with some minor tweaks, these Glarry's are decent players and an awesome value. How can we complain about an $80 guitar? ha ha

But I can see a kid having trouble with it...

cka73 likes this.