Glarry questions...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by CR Parsons, Nov 24, 2020.

1. CR Parsons

CR Parsons Squier Talker

Nov 24, 2020
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Greetings all, I’m new to this forum. I’ve been a guitar and bass player for years. I’ve also recently been getting into woodworking as well. I’m interested in building a guitar of my own, however, I have little/no experience in the internals of a guitar. For that reason I was considering getting a Glarry just to play with, take apart, try things on, etc.

My specific questions are

1) has anyone tried these guitars? Are they any good, or even playable? I figure having a working guitar to start from and mess with might be worth the $90.

2) has anyone tried to fit a fender telecaster neck on one of these guitars?

I appreciate any advice. I’m learning from youtube, any recommendations for videos to watch to learn the internal workings?

Thanks and glad to be here.

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a couple videos on YouTube of the thinline. I have not tried to change the neck.

YouTube.com/drewcp

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    CR Parsons and dbrian66 like this.
  4. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I bought a Used Glarry Strat and it was playable when I got it. It wasn't perfect but everything functioned properly. As long as it's set up well it should work fine to learn on.

01010_aMhSlARkWuv_1200x900.jpg

CR Parsons, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    If you want to buy one, shop around. I was a little interested in the thinline Tele clone.

The Glarry site wanted $119.99 but often there is a 5 percent discount. For Black Friday there will be , I'm told, a 10 percent discount.

But wait ... there's more

The same guitar was offered at two eBay sites ... one at $97.99 and one at $95.99.

But wait ... there's even more.

Some little company called Walmart was selling it for $85.99.

And on the other side, Amazon was offering them for more than the Glarry site.

There are at least two Glarry groups on Facebook you could join if you want more info on the models and upgrades.

(So what did I do? Well I just ordered, as I said, that Iyv Mustang clone, although it is not supposed to be back in stock until Dec. 11 or 12.)

6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    As a mod base, the Glarry tele is a great starting point. The parts that I have changed have all been a drop-in. Necks are routed for HB, so options are many. The neck pocket is a tad wide and will need a side shim for a 2 3/16" neck swap. A piece of birch veneer on the low E side will snug it up. The stock necks, once the fret ends are addressed, are pretty nice. Welcome aboard and remember re-builds are easier than builds.

chopdoc and CR Parsons like this.
  7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Welcome to the forum.
    I put a Squier Tele Neck on mine. Photo enclosed. Mine was a Glarry Thinline. Now it's a Squier Bullet Glarry Thinline. Plays decent for $114 plus the Squier neck. Pickups and electronics are good. The only issue I have is the Glarry Tele bridge. I'm going to swap it out soon.

After
    20201009_121012.jpg

Before
    20200930_123020.jpg

chopdoc, CR Parsons and radiotech like this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia

What don’t you like about the bridge?

If it’s just looks, or that it’s not traditional... don’t bother answering ;)

Angry Possum likes this.
  9. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The guitar strings ride to close to the springs and it buzzes. It's annoying

20201021_064737.jpg

chopdoc and radiotech like this.
  10. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

You could likely remove the springs. Now that it's intonated I doubt the springs are applying any real required tension on the saddles.

11. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'll try that, that's a very good suggestion. A Big Thank You.. I could use that tubing I suppose.

CR Parsons likes this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Ahhhh...

Or install smaller diameter springs, those look pretty big in diameter to me.

On the six saddle ASAT bridge, the springs are heavier, and smaller in diameter. Even though the strings touch them, they don’t rattle.

drewcp and Angry Possum like this.
  13. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'm gonna go with the tubing. That'll work.

SoundDesign and radiotech like this.
  14. CR Parsons

CR Parsons Squier Talker

Nov 24, 2020
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thank you all for your responses. They sealed the deal. @surf green and @Angry Possum thanks for confirming that the specs are close enough to change parts out without major modifications

So, “officially” the wife will be getting me a Glarry Tele and P-bass Friday, for Christmas.

@drewcp I will definitely check out your video.

Again, thanks all.

15. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I see this comment a lot about the Glarry, but the G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy uses that style of bridge, and maybe other models too. I don't ever see complaints about those in that regard.

I thought mine had that issue, but it was a saddle height adjustment grub screw that was coming loose. I have no rattle from the springs on mine.

Edit: I see the G&L has already been mentioned. I missed that earlier. Point still stands, the springs don't rattle on mine, it's the screws.

Angry Possum likes this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to the forum. We will require reviews after you receive you new equipment.

Angry Possum and CR Parsons like this.
  17. CR Parsons

CR Parsons Squier Talker

Nov 24, 2020
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Will do

Angry Possum likes this.
  18. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Good as a "cheap" modding platform. Pickups, tuners, nut, bridge need to be changed if you want it as a serious player.

Angry Possum and chopdoc like this.
  19. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I was actually going to try adjusting the saddle height screws firstly before I yank the springs. Some seemed loose.

drewcp likes this.