Gilmour Mod Opinions?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by RetiredNSquired, Jul 22, 2018.

1. skypeace

skypeace Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    Connecticut
    Exactly, I have the same circumstances and the only electric that doesn't have it is a Hofner travel guitar that has only one humbucker. Depending on the pickups, all three pu's on can get a little muddy, but with others it is heavenly. The bridge/neck position is really sweet, me I love jazz, soul, blues, classic rock and contemporary country and all Christian Gospel renditions of these genres, so your mileage may vary.

Because I use the RocknR wiring by Mike Riley, there are other tone mods that he adds that make the Gilmore mod quite efficient. Treble bleed probably the main one along with a tone for the bridge.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I owe it to SkyPeace for recommending RRG. It changed my life and my musical direction. ha ha.

mdparent03, skypeace and dbrian66 like this.
  3. skypeace

skypeace Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    Connecticut
    LOL! @Eddie you are too kind, and funny too!

mdparent03 likes this.
  4. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    I’ve done the standard gilmour switch mod, as well as a variant using a double throw switch, with the down position adding in a resistor to bleed down some more highs, giving an optional "warm" tone switch. Some of my playing customers prefer the switch to add the neck pickup in "all at once", but most of them, given the chance to try that AND a guitar set up with a no load blend pot, seem to like the blend option better. Some say that they like the option to roll the neck pickup in gradually till they get what they want to hear, others say they simply prefer the motion of adjusting a pot to flipping a switch while playing. Since you are building for yourself, you owe it to yourself to try both and see which one suits you more.

dbrian66 and so1om like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    8420F878-AAAB-4AC8-BD44-DD5BA6AB0274.jpeg So odd to have listened to Pink Floyd since the early 70, but never really considered any special mod to emulate his tone. I know this is a popular one though.

Somewhat related, Bang for your buck, Ed Reynolds could do it all.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Rgdavid

Rgdavid Squier Talker

Oct 13, 2021
    London
    Is it possible to do the Gilmour mod on a 1986 mij squier bullet strat that only has one tone pot?

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yes. The switch just adds the neck pickup to whatever pickup you have selected.

8. Rgdavid

Rgdavid Squier Talker

Oct 13, 2021
    London
    Thanks. I'll try a do a wiring diagram.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It's a lot of fun. Go HSH or HHH with coil splitting and 7 way switch, and the tones are fabulous. I love it.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Nut

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Been doing it and talking about it for 20 plus years and never heard it called a gilmore mod.

Hal Nico and dbrian66 like this.