Gibson taking on SX and the other Chinese brands

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DougMen, May 23, 2020.

1. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    It may have been a U2 which was the set neck late 80's model and which was followed by the US-1 in the early 90's, I think. Looking around boards someone said that Wayne Charvel was working for Gibson at the time of the U2. One thing I remember is that it appeared to have some kind of pre amp fitted, a little red LED amongst the control knobs. One of the best gigs I have ever been to, incidentally.

Edit, just looked up the WRC, you could very well have won a cigar.

daan, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't know about the US-1, but I'm pretty sure the U2 wasn't pointy

dbrian66 and One String Sam like this.
  3. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Doing an image search it is but in the hockey stick kind of way.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't consider hockey stick to be pointy.

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Next you'll be saying it's the same guitar.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    So now Gibson is going to ignore its own advice to Play Authentic™

StevieRayFan likes this.
  7. StevieRayFan

StevieRayFan Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    For 2020 Gibson mirrored their entire line in Epiphone with the "Inspired by Gibson" line, a strategy that moved buyers from counterfeits and copies to Epiphones.

This is the kick in the sack extension of that which Gibson would call "Inspired by Fender" if they wouldn't end up in Federal court. So true to form, Gibson is in the starting blocks for the race to the bottom.

As for me, if I'm going to buy a copy of a copy of a copy, I'll buy the PRS Silver Sky John Mayer developed.

Treehouse likes this.
  8. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal

411 bud, Henry Vaccaro Sr. last owner of the independent Kramer sold the company in bankruptsy to Gibson in 1998 ... HARDLY "Gibson now owns Kramer.

Kramer's, especially the Japanese made and USA "Assembled" (in New Jersey, ESP Japan parts) guitars were awesome. On par with the best of the BC Rich and more innovative than nearly all competitors in that class. The Pacers, Deluxe, 2000's and 6000 series (those were the NJ assembled Kramers) were unparalled for quility and setup right from the "factory).

Gibson is defiling the Kramer name with this offshore build, just like they did soiling the Epiphone name and even the garbage they've been turning out of Nashville since 2007.

I still have my 1988's Pacer Deluxe 2000 and 6000 "pointy peghead", both my go-to for shredding. Second choice is my '87 BC Rich St-211 w/ reversed head stock.

Kramer USA Pacer Deluxe HotPink 1988.gif Kramer 1988 Pacer 2000 Pastel.jpg Aria_BCRich_Kramer_Acous.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2020
    strummer101 likes this.
  9. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    i like the look of the red new Kramer Strat just wish it was a HT. I’m interested to see what the Kramer Strat is like and how it compares to the Squier Bullet

I’m interested in G&L. I didn’t know they made the Legacy to challenge the CV but I’m really interested in the company and their guitars. I’ve never played one.