Gibson Les Paul Junior question

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
I always thought they came with one HB, but just saw one with two HB’s that looked a lot like a Gibson LP Studio. Is that a real thing? How is the quality on these LPJ’s generally? It is of course on the cheaper range for Gibsons. Any thoughts?

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I always thought they came with one HB, but just saw one with two HB’s that looked a lot like a Gibson LP Studio. Is that a real thing? How is the quality on these LPJ’s generally? It is of course on the cheaper range for Gibsons. Any thoughts?
They use the Junior name too freely now. The original Jr. was a slab body with no binding on the neck or body, dot inlays, and P90. Now that name is all over the place on many Gibsons. Originally, a two pickup Jr. was called a LP Special. And, neither came with HBs. That's a development from Gibson in modern times. It started with using the name Jr. on a bare bones LP or SG style guitar with a single bridge pickup, whether fitted with a P90 or HB.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Looking at Gibson's and Epiphone's websites, I see no current guitars with HBs or two pickups labeled Jr., but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done in the past. Someone more knowledgeable about Gibsons will have to chime in to confirm or deny if that ever existed.

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
Post a picture of you can. Gibson has made a lot of different “Jr.” type guitars over the years.

In my opinion, Gibson makes great guitars at all of their price points. A lot of the lower priced instruments are straight up rock and roll machines! Nothing fancy, but lots of cool factor!

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
Post a picture of you can. Gibson has made a lot of different “Jr.” type guitars over the years.

In my opinion, Gibson makes great guitars at all of their price points. A lot of the lower priced instruments are straight up rock and roll machines! Nothing fancy, but lots of cool factor!
I went back to find the ad and it’s gone! I should have jumped on it at around $600. It looked good. After reading posts and looking around, I think it was a special. Oh well. Gotta move fast. Thanks all for the input.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
I went back to find the ad and it’s gone! I should have jumped on it at around $600. It looked good. After reading posts and looking around, I think it was a special. Oh well. Gotta move fast. Thanks all for the input.
You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking

David Gilmour

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
It’s back. Discussions under way.

View attachment 246650

There's nothing "Junior" there. Well, apart from it having a p94 -- a P90 sounding, HB sized, PUP — in the bridge position.

The controls are pure 'Paul. As are the bridge and tailpiece. The photo is not fully revealing, but I think the body is at least somewhat carved (though lacking a maple cap).

Nope. Nice guitar, but NOT a Junior.

:)

-don

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
Not sure if Gibson ever called a 2 pup LP a Junior. I think it's more of a popular mistake brought up by sellers not knowing what they have.

The brainiacs in Gibson's product group made an LP Junior Special 1999-2004, then again in 2008. It might have had a belly cut. Two P-90 pickups. There was nothing"Junior" about it and I still think the name is stupid.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
The brainiacs in Gibson's product group made an LP Junior Special 1999-2004, then again in 2008. It might have had a belly cut. Two P-90 pickups. There was nothing"Junior" about it and I still think the name is stupid.

Howz that compare with all the types of guitars Fender Inc attaches the name "Tele" to?
Sure leaves us missing Ryan, doesn't it!

-don

DJGranite

Squier-holic
Feb 7, 2012
maine
That could be a "VM" Les Paul Studio.
VM=Vintage Mahogany, like the late 50s Customs it was an all mahogany guitar, No maple top.
Came before the Faded did. 2003-2007
Colors were Worn Brown and Worn Cherry.
Mine is 2005, Worn Brown
20210125_175609 (3).jpg
Low price without a cases looks to be around $850ish.
A good value.
I hope this is helpful

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
That could be a "VM" Les Paul Studio.
VM=Vintage Mahogany, like the late 50s Customs it was an all mahogany guitar, No maple top.
Came before the Faded did. 2003-2007
Colors were Worn Brown and Worn Cherry.
Mine is 2005, Worn Brown
View attachment 246682
Low price without a cases looks to be around $850ish.
A good value.
I hope this is helpful
I think you nailed it! Great info.

Latest posts