Gibson Lab Series L5 - $300 a good price?

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by ksandbergfl, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    Local music shop has this late 1970’s L5 for $300... in near mint condition... wondering what experience any of you guys have had with one... I believe these are mildly “collectible” and relatively “rare”
    5C9674C7-EE2D-4248-BF83-AA73A6DA94C6.jpeg

mb doug, Rat cam 68 and Mr Bones like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    They were the choice of The King of the Blues!

mb doug and ScoobySnacker like this.
  3. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    The Lab series are very high quality build amps with great tone and flexibility to do things that two or even 3 simpler amps may not match between them. Bulletproof electronics and cabinet construction. They aren't light though. It's a back breaker even on casters.

With all the kudos for tone and flexibility, however, it's not a simple or intuitive amp to operate or get those special tones out of. If you end up with it, take the time to find and read through the manual and maybe even some specific settings profiles to get used to it. Let us know if it works for you, and why.

mb doug and Mr Bones like this.
  4. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    mb doug likes this.
  5. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    and B.B.King approved
    [​IMG]

6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    That’s pretty steep for one of those. I just sold mine (after getting a fender Twin) this last summer for $180.

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Owned ... Incredible machine, but it was too much of an amp for me. That thing is as loud and as clean as a Twin Reverb !

$300 is in the upper range for the price of that amp, but it's worth it if that's what you're looking for.

8. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    I always keep my eye out for those locally, only because they were the "secret" to Ty Tabor's early guitar tone.

I know if I found one, I'd still never sound like him but it would be fun trying!

mb doug and SoundDesign like this.
  9. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    i had one and really liked it a lot, but someone offer money i couldn't resist

mb doug, ScoobySnacker and DrBeGood like this.
  10. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    ahhh, another Ty Tabor fan here!?!!? Nice to meet you. I love all of Ty's work, I even have all his solo/side stuff, including his first homemade release of Naomi's Solar Pumpkin

russtopherb and mb doug like this.
  11. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    saw Ty Tabor in Wichita ks twice he us awesome and a nice guy.

russtopherb likes this.
  12. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    Been a fan since seeing the video for “King” on Headbangers Ball as a teen. I’ve got lots of his solo and side project stuff as well. Seeing him a few months back with a Strat and 2 Orange amps he still sounded just like Ty.

gary mitchell likes this.
  13. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I had one years ago. I found it to have the thickest lead tones i ever played. I couldn't get that out of any amp i have ever had. But thats pretty much all it did really well, and even for lead i don't always want that sorta tone. It was ok otherwise, but for me unless all i did was play single note lines it wasn't very useful. I can see why BB liked it because that IS all he ever did. He never played rhythm. Is it worth $300? I dunno, but i would imagine given the somewhat rarity of them and it's rep as BB's fav amp it probably is, possibly more.