Ghost Pickup ???

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    97999185_2819558374760324_3226846871225892864_o.jpg The ad says the Ghost pickup makes each pickup sound like a humbucker.

Is this? How does it work?

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  3. AlesG

AlesG Squier Talker

May 11, 2020
    NY
    Only one way to find out :D

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
  5. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Dummy coil...removes hum, thats as close as it makes a single coil sound like a humbucker.

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Called a Dummy coil, not ghost pickup.....does not do that.....what it DOES do is offer hum cancelling for vintage style pickups that hum in all 5 positions - vintage single coils - by working LIKE a humbucker to cancel the hum, only there's no magnet in the dummy coil, just windings of wire around a bobbin....so it doesn't boost output......

You need 3 single coil pickups all the same wind/polarity for a dummy coil - not a RWRP middle.....

this does the job of an RWRP pickup by cancelling hum in all 5 positions of the switch.....but it does take away a bit of spank and high end in the single coil pickups.....

7. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Thank you. I'm gonna look into this. Looks like something fun to try.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It'll work for hum canceling only in it's oriented correctly. Randomly stuffed in the cavity isn't correctly. And if the guitar has a reverse polarity middle pickup you'd have to choose whether to make it cancel the hum of the neck and bridge or the middle. Used with the other(s) it will double the hum, not cancel it.

9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Dummy Coil.JPG

So how does this connect? Two wires attached to the #4 and #5 contacts on the switch, and 1 wire to the volume pot. But what wires? Only two wires on the SC pickup ... a ground and a hot. What goes where?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    You need 3 regular single coils with no RWRP middle, and THEN an RWRP pickup without magnets......it has to be reverse polarity and wind to the other 3 pickups to work, just the same way 2 coils of a humbucker are opposite wind/polarity.....

11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Since there are no magnets or poles, there really isn't any special reverse polarity of the coil. You just choose which lead is in from the pickup and which is out to the volume control. You'll know if you got it wrong because it will increase noise.

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Great. :) There are three wires though. How do I separate the #4 and #5 contact wires?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    What I've found is that the coil must be wound in the opposite direction of the actual 3 single coil pickups....you can't just put in any coil.....at least that's been my experience, I've done it for 3-4 customers over the years.....I've had dummy coils that increase noise no matter how they are wired.....maybe just my dumb luck?

MI redneck likes this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    What are #4 and #5 contact wires? What pickup is it? 3 wire usually is just hot+ground + pickup case/shielding ground.....

15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

If you have a coil that's wound counterclockwise and reverse the wires, it will then be wound clockwise.

16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you mean the 4 and 5 contacts on the import style switch, they are the output terminals, and are jumpered together to connect both sides of the switch, so your tone controls will work. On an Oak Grisby type switch the two output terminals are also jumpered together, and on either switch, they go to the input of the volume pot. So, just connect one end of the dummy coil there, and the other end to the input of the volume pot. maxresdefault.jpg maxresdefaultst.jpg

Eddie and CVSteve like this.
  17. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Don't be mean, now.:oops:

drewcp, Eddie, Best1989 and 2 others like this.
  18. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Always wanted to try this
    Good luck Eddie, tell us how it goes

metalmerchant and Eddie like this.