GFS bodies?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by grizzlewulf, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:26 PM.

1. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Got a link to those guys?

2. Bejnay

Bejnay Squier Talker

Sep 26, 2020
    Canada
    I haven’t started my build yet (gotta buy sanding and staining supplies), but the XGP tele body I bought arrived in great shape, and looks really good to my eyes, and the wood worker that’s showing me the ropes on how to do sanding/finishing.

Attached Files:

dbrian66, VealCutlet, daan and 5 others like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
  4. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    https://thefretwire.com/

Cool stuff, really, giving me some stuff to ponder

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  5. Botso

Botso Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Hey,

I have a gfs hardtail strat body. Its the highest end. XGP? Its been a while. I think that you always run the risk of getting bodies with imperfections because they are so stinking cheap. I built a Tom Delonge style strat out of one of their bodies. I'll attach pictures. It uses all fender hardware and a neck and loaded pickguard of the original signature model. As these guitars go for around 600-$1000 now, buying the body from GFS was a no brainer. The guitar body is a beautiful color, I have bumped it a few times and it held up just fine. There is one imperfection of the neck not being cut perfectly. It fit the neck perfect but you will see what I'm talking about. Its very small and would bother some people. You decide. To me it was worth it. And maybe its wort buying another in the future and hoping for a perfect body. Hope these pictures can help you make up your mind. 20200309_184454.jpg 20200309_184556.jpg 20200309_185201.jpg 20210114_204952.jpg

6. Botso

Botso Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Felt I should give you another option. NOMOONLASER. This guy cuts, stains and nitros his own guitar bodies. He sells them on eBay. I got mine for around 50-60 bucks. I couldn't be happier. He usually only makes jaguar and telecaster shape bodies but they are affordable, made from reclaimed wood and they are clean with clean pockets and perfectly aligned holes. Most importantly they are beautiful. Ive attached pictures. 20210114_215727.jpg 20210114_215743.jpg 20210114_215805.jpg

7. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I've had good luck with them. I've built three guitars that turned out great using them (especially a swamp ash Tele that's one of my stage guitars), I've got another in progress (the black Strat with binding in the picture) and one in waiting. By the way, the silverburst Tele in the other picture is poplar and it sounds great -- bright, lots of sustain, and it doesn't weigh a ton (like the swamp ash Tele).

Edited to add, the neck on the black Strat is a FABULOUS 1989 Squier II neck. 63210073372__C8FD8660-7D2B-4DDF-8DAC-69D1B277BA65.jpg image (23).jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 12:17 AM
    mb doug, grizzlewulf and dbrian66 like this.
  8. CWelsh52

CWelsh52 Squier Talker

Jul 27, 2019
    Iowa
    As others have commented, the XPG bodies are quite good, but I have had bad luck with their standard line. I've built a Tele with an ash body and a Jazz Master with a poplar body. Overall, both were good to work with, but I had some small problems with screws stripping in the poplar. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but still frustrating. I've never tried one of their necks.

As for their returns/customer service, again I will echo others and say it is hit and miss. What I will say is, take the glowing text about their products with a grain of salt. It is marketing hyperbole and nothing more. For the price, I think their products are quite good, but it is a stretch to claim they are better than other products costing three to four times as much.

9. pierce

pierce Squier Talker

Jun 30, 2019
    sweetwater
    to me it boils down to your "talents".. if it's your first attempt at building, stay clear from the basic as some times (tele speaking of course) you need to open the control cavity or use mini pots. You have to prepare on all of them to massage the parts to get them to fit (and I've massaged my fair share of Fender built bodies too).
    Dremels are your friend..
    [​IMG]
    measure twice and dont use a hammer/drill or hot spoon to route
    Eden bodies have been the best for me so far of all

10. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 New Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Charlotte
    ToneBomb on eBay. Fantastic and cheap.

11. fleezinator

fleezinator Squier Talker

Jun 22, 2020
    Texas
    id have a close look at the neck pocket holes alignment as well as the string thru holes on the body. On my GFS body, the top two neck pocket holes were off and it looks like yours might be as well. I ended up plugging and redrilling the top two holes on mine.
    upload_2021-1-15_9-1-29.png

As far as the string thru holes, GFS routes them for vintage bridges. While that may be true, I found that my 6 saddle gotoh modern bridge (which is touted as a direct fit for vintage specs) doesn’t allow for the saddles to slide up and down as far as the 3 barrel ones. So if you intend on using a modern bridge just know you’ll have to redrill the string thru holes to accommodate, otherwise, you won’t be able to properly intonate.

More details here

as far as customer service is concerned, I emailed my issues and after some back and forth they just straight ghosted me, likely because I’m using the gotoh bridge instead of a 3 barrel bridge.

the neck pocket fit my warmoth neck great and the quality of the woodworking and binding looked fine. As others have previously mentioned, it’s a crapshoot. I rolled the dice and ended up doing more work than necessary. If you aren’t prepared to do that, I suggest looking else where. I couldn’t source another place for unfinished, double bound bodies this cheap ($79) and I kinda knew what I was potentially in for, so I took the plunge.

It’s currently curing but I took this incomplete dry fit shot to see how it was shaping up. upload_2021-1-15_9-20-42.png

12. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Some nice looking bodies for sale by this guy, but I see that all his current bodies are sold by auction, not by a fixed price. Did you get yours at auction and did that price include shipping?

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I'm waiting to try an Eden body. Apparently their supply chain for these is more troubled than the GFS supply chain. Both companies have inconsistant supply and run out of bodies, but Eden tends to be out of stock far longer. I e-mailed them last year and was told that they would restock in November, but it hasn't happened, yet.

When they do restock, I'll get their hardtail Strat body in BSB, assuming they still order those.

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I got screwed on an XGP body from GFS and the f*** you attitude I received from the sales/service staff convinced me to never spend another penny there again. I have made it my own personal Jihad to try to have as many potential buyers as possible to do the same. Stay away from GFS!! I've never had an issue with Eden bodies

15. Botso

Botso Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    I bought it at auction. Some go for around 40 bucks others 70-90. I said I would not go above 50-60 and waited until I won, and yes it's a bit of a game. You can contact him directly through facebook messenger but I think it was 100-120 if you just requested the one or style you wanted. It was a year or so ago I will look it up later. The bid war game is def worth it. The shipping is whatever is listed on the auction.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. grizzlewulf

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Does anyone know, if a body is routed for 2 Jazzmaster pickups, can I put 2 humbuckers in there instead, and just have them attached to the pickguard? Are the JM routes deep enough?

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. Botso

Botso Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    You will most ikely have to route them deeper.

18. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I had an Eden BSB Tele body and it was really high quality. I wanted to use it for a Keith Richards tribute and it just wasn't quite the right color. I ended up selling it, but I'd recommend their stuff to anyone. Really nice, great quality build and finish.

grizzlewulf likes this.
  19. grizzlewulf

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Ok, now someone give me the answer I want to hear ;)

20. Nortally

Nortally Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2018
    Berkeley, CA
    I purchased one of their finished bodies, my packing slip says XGP_STSPR_CO XGP "Swimming Pool Rout" Professional Strat Body Capri Orange. It was exactly as advertised and the pocket took my Fender lic. neck. All of the hardware was great, just two issues with the whole project:
    1. I had trouble drilling the holes for the two-post bridge. I should have asked GFS to do it before sending to me.
    2. I didn't bond with the "PAF style" pickups in the pre-wired pick guard. Ended up putting in something called Hexbuckers found on E-Bay. Essentially generic, but they sound & look great.

Note that the stripes are vinyl, not paint.
    [​IMG]

I browse GFS a lot, and I notice that if you read the fine print on their discount bodies a lot of them are duds, as in a whole bunch of Telecasters with the through-holes drilled in the wrong place "buy one of our hard tail bridges" ;-)