GFS bodies?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by grizzlewulf, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:26 PM.

1. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Anyone used one of their bodies, have opinions/experiences with it good or bad? Things to be aware of? Opinions in poplar as a guitar wood?

https://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-Professional-Offset-Body-Unfinished-White-Poplar_p_17858.html

This inquiry is a spinoff of my other thread about putting a tremolo on a hardtail Affinity Jazzmaster. Now considering swapping the neck and pickups (I do really like the PUPs) on to a Jazzy body pre-routed for a tremolo...and it'd afford me the opportunity to maybe do some funky fun wood staining project.

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I am thinking about getting one of their Tele bodies, so I will be watching this thread as well. For the most part, the bodies get pretty good reviews. Everything else I have bought from GFS has been good.

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I have done several builds w XGP bodies - all were great. Others have not been as lucky.

as far as the poplar bodies - plus is they are lightweight, minus is that wood is pretty soft, gotta be careful w screws and it dings/dents easy

4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I got burned on a couple GFS bodies (and necks :( ) so I’m always leery about ordering stuff off them... that being said I keep looking at their white hardtail strat bodies, I got a bad idea for another project...
    I’ve heard good things from people about the XGP stuff but their lower end bodies (all they had before they came out with the XGP) were what I kept having to return

5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Oh, I was too busy complaining to answer your questions... :)
    Poplar is perfectly good as a body wood, tens of thousands of guitars are Poplar and ive never heard anything bad about it. It’s not the most decorative wood but it takes paint well and you don’t have to grain fill it, all pluses in my book.

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I've used 3 I think and no issues. Last time I used GFS which was just a week or so ago however , I paid for upgraded shipping and meant absolutely nothing.

7. grizzlewulf

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Anyone know of Jazzy/offset bodies in this price range to compare to? Particularly something that has a little more textured natural grain to it?

8. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    USA
    I would go with Warmoth, or these guys:

https://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/guitar-bodies/

9. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I've had an XGP body that was factory damaged and GFS replaced it with one that had horribly mismatched grain under a semi-transparent finish. I've got a recent XGP body with a neck pocket that's smaller than Fender standard.

Buy a GFS product made of wood is a roll of the dice. 50/50 chance... it's either fine or junk. Lots of people on lots of forums have had the same experience. If you're buying something that isn't wood, then the odds are much better.

JKjr, daan, Kenneth Mountain and 4 others like this.
  10. grizzlewulf

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Are they good about returns/replacements?

11. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

That gets discussed at least once a month here, on strat-talk, and TDPRI. GFS customer service ranges from superior to worthless and infuriating. Again, it's a roll of the dice.

12. SuiCyco4Life

SuiCyco4Life Squier Talker

Jan 1, 2021
    Texas

Have you ever looked into a place called "The fret wire?" I have been happy with their products. And they have a diverse selection.

13. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I've made a few builds from GFS bodies. I stay away from the budget and close out stuff. The. XGP line has been fine for me. I've used 5 bodies with no,issues. My biggest criticism is the finish is thin and will crack or chip easier than a Warmoth or original fender body.A nice body for the price IMO. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

They all look great ! Really nice ! !

mb doug, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  15. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I had an XGP Strat body a few weeks back and it was top notch.

16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    It’s the same as the wood- sometimes Ok, sometimes not. They let me return a couple things, they gave me a partial refund for one thing and one other thing (set of tuning machines) they told me “we’re not refunding ypu because you ordered the wrong parts” (I ordered right handed tuners and received lefty ones that just weren’t gonna work. I SWEAR I didn’t order left handed ones because those were in a whole different page than righty ones)

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  17. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    Thee cheap tele bodies suck. The ferrules and pickup route do NOT line up. The strat bodies are great cheap enough that you can go nuts...
    20201223_114909.jpg

18. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    That’s pretty cool! I have to agree with you about their bodies, I’ve not had good luck with them.

19. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I built a Strat with a XGP body and it was great.

20. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA