"GAS, GAS Go Away!"

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Mojotone

Mojotone Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2021
    Chateauguay, QC
    GAS is an affliction

speelyei, StormCaster and miket1117 like this.
  2. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    for the win.

StormCaster and Mojotone like this.
  3. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    my wife keeps asking if theres a vax for it. i tell her no. it isnt a virus, its an affliction. but can be transmissable.... lol... :eek:

4. Dennis James

Dennis James Squier Talker

Oct 21, 2020
    Far Rockaway, New York
    Ya know, coming from REALLY HUMBLE beginnings, (humble like carrying around a Univox Ventures copy in a Pan Am tote bag for 6yrs) , I nOW have 24+ axes, and it's really NOT as to have that many, but after I learned how to build kits, it was the building and not the amount, that hooked me... Before I starting building kits, I had ONE decent ax, an Ibanez 270, made in Indonesia, that my 2nd wife bought me for my birthday.. Before that, I had Aria Pro's, Fame and various other 'budget' guitars, and never craved the much higher standard products... The ONE guitar I ALWAYS wanted was a Steve Vai JEM.. I actually built myself one, and am VERY pleased with the result.. With 24+ guitars, I amd, as another poster said, satisfied... So, GAS isn't/wasn't one of MY issues.. But IF I see a kit that I don't have or am nervous about building (as in those 335 kits), I can say I'm done... Oh, here's MY version of the JEM... ZxDHqglSS5W6YcgiamNWeA.jpg

StormCaster and 65refinyellow like this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    So, you have KAS :)

StormCaster likes this.
  6. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I went through periods of gear acquisition syndrome for guitars first starting with all things Telecaster.

Then more recently it was analog and digital synths. It started with a low key Casio CTK and concluded with a Moog Werkstatt, my eighth in a row in over a year.

In the last few months it’s been an obsession on tools for handyman work. I love saws the most of all my tools that also include sanders, jackhammers, nail guns, grinders and drills. So I bought a...

1) battery powered 6.5” Makita sidewinder circular saw, then a...

2) 7.25” inch corded sidewinder Makita, then a...

3) Makita corded fine saw multitool, then a...

4) DeWalt table saw, and finally a...

5) DeWalt miter saw.

But I am gassing for a cordless Milwaukee mini saw around 5 3/8”, a tiny Milwaukee ceramic cutoff saw, and finally a cordless Milwaukee fine saw multitool.

These last three I don’t need for remodels and building stuff, and while my handyman hobby pays some bills, I need to put money away in a retirement account.

StormCaster likes this.
  7. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I started playing guitar about 9 years ago and I have had lots of gas during that time but one thing I found out about gas is if I save and buy the guitar or amp I really want it makes my gas go away for way longer periods. I also figured out that once I obtained the tone that I wanted from my gear I felt a ton of gas leave my body. I still get an occasional bout of gas but it's not very bad like it used to be. Cheers

miket1117 likes this.
  8. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    100% truth!

Heard many many times from ppl that they need a lot better instruments and equipment so they can play better. I must admit, there was a time I was thinking the same but realized eventually the only thing that keeps us (far) away from that is ourselves. Our brain, heart, state of mind, call it whatever you like. Yes, better gear (guitar and amp primary) will get us there with less pain, but having those won't guarantee anything.

Back to the topic. Dunno if it's correct to call it GAS, but I kinda crystalize what do I really want to have over 13 years of playing guitar. Mentioned earlier that I'd be completely satisfied with 7-8 guitars. Do I really need them all? No! But would be very happy to achieve that.

miket1117 likes this.
  9. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    The thing about guitar GAS is that the best players I know (Miles’ Davis guitarist who was my teacher, also my friend who is a big studio session guitarist, and another friend who is in the Shrapnel universe), all have two or three guitars, tops.

It’s the hobbyists like me and a few I know who have four, five, or more guitars.

Much more often than not, besides a rare type like Joe Bonsmassa, Peter Green, or Nancy Wilson and 100 guitars, many pros have smaller rigs than many of us:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    driver8 and miket1117 like this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Ummm…

Rick Nielsen
    Mike Campbell (who also stores all Tom Petty’s guitars)
    Geddy Lee
    Clapton
    John Mayer
    Keith Richards
    Bill Wyman
    Bob Dylan
    Joe Perry
    Billy Gibbons

I could keep going, so…

I don’t know about that…

65refinyellow likes this.
  11. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    After 65 years of playing and accumulating I finally have zero gas. Quite the opposite, over the past two weeks I have given away nine guitars, one bass and two amps. Had far too many rarely played, and too cluttered with guitars, etc. Feels far better to have them thinned out.

I had 16 electrics, an equal number of acoustics not to mention three ukes, a mandolin, a fiddle, five string banjo, mountain dulcimer, two basses, an acoustic tenor guitar and a keyboard.

Most of the guitars and both amps went to one of my sons and a grandson who both play. One guitar and amp went to the teenage son of one of my wife’s friends. He lost his father recently and has some health issues and wanted to learn to play.

driver8, grizzlewulf and duceditor like this.
  12. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal

There are definitely big rock star collections (I got lucky to play many Nancy Wilson guitars) but overall on rig rundown it’s usually not many that pro name players have.

I have seen much bigger collections among non pro players. This guy had over then thousand instruments and two thousand lap steels alone!

radiotech and driver8 like this.
  13. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    Sigh. The gas.

Been watching a candy apple red Squier Jaguar, just hoping to make it to payday.

sold today. I’m bummed out far beyond what the disappointment warrants.

14. T-Rey

T-Rey Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2020
    Georgia
    I always kind of thought my goal was to have one really good (looking, sounding, playing) guitar of each variety (Strat, Tele, LP, SG, etc.). I have at least one of most of those except for maybe a 335 type. The problem I usually find is the cheaper ones that I buy and fix up as get-by guitars often end up being the ones that I prefer even when I find the "one" Gibson, Fender etc. that I've been dreaming of. I usually don't do much in the way of modifying the higher end instruments that I buy not that I have anything all that high end but you get the point. So what ends up happening with me is that I have the Epiphone or Squier that I've gotten exactly like I want them and then I find a deal on their Gibson or Fender counterpart and I end up playing the cheapie more than the "better" guitar because I've put the love into them and feel more of a connection with them. That's how I end up with multiples of the same or similar guitar models.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Ladeeh, duceditor and grizzlewulf like this.
  15. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    I found that for me GAS is really at bottom a search for tone. I couldn't care less about having expensive gear just for the sake of the gear - just the opposite, in fact. If I can get the sounds I want from a bullet tele and a used pro jr or whatever, that's even better! :D

A lot is just for the fun of it, too - they call this a "hobby" after all lol. And modding stuff is cool - trying new pickups, new amp tubes, different speakers, different pedals and pedal combos etc. It's all part of the GAS I think.

Now speaking of bullet teles, I think I just gave myself GAS! Lol! If only I could decide between the LPB or the surf green... and of course I'm going to have to change those pickups, and probably at least the nut... :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    grizzlewulf and T-Rey like this.