FxSound is now as free as ...

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Ralph124C41, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    actually I couldn't think of something because it seems like everything that used to be free now costs a lot.

Oh, yes. FxSound Pro, an audio-processing program, is now free and is only accepting donations. I've been using the restricted free version (of course) which offers only one processing preset. The program offers 12 and you can make your own I understand. I had been using it mainly for the volume boost function to make some recordings and videos a little bit louder.

If interested, here's the website: https://www.fxsound.com/blog/fxsound-is-now-completely-free

The CEO also noted "We'll also be making DFX Gold (aka DFX 12) and FxSound Premium (aka FxSound Enhancer) 100% free and unrestricted soon."

Unfortunately there now is no customer service (as there are no customers to support) but a forum is planned. Good. I got the free program running fine on my Windows 10 desktop but I'm having problems installing on my Windows 7 backup unit. It's not connected to the internet so there may be some Microsoft Visual C++ files I need to download to get it working.

I have no connection to this company.

drewcp, Eddie, dbrian66 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    I got it working on my Windows 7 computer. It's not connected to the internet and I don't have wi-fi so I downloaded the 64-bit and the X86 versions of Visual C++ onto a USB stick and then installed the files on the Windows 7 unit. Works great. I've been listening to some MP3s using the Music preset and it really improves the sound a lot through my new studio monitors ($69 from Musician's Friend.)

(Btw, there's another SDOTH at MF and they have some studio monitors for $59.99, regularly $99.99. They seem to be better than mine for less money with this offer. Well, at least they appear louder.)

drewcp, Eddie and grizzlewulf like this.
  3. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    So is this like, an audio driver? I'm not sure I totally understand.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    No, it provides a 9-band EQ for your audio files. It has 12 presets, called "Voices" as well as five slider controls for bass boost, volume boost, treble boost, Ambience (sort of like reverb), and Surround Sound. You can also make your own preset and import six other presets from the web site, forms of music such as classic rock and modern rock.

So basically an EQ with customizable presets. I certainly could have explained that better in my first post.

Well the website's extra presets don't seem to be working well. Of the seven I downloaded five have the same settings and two have the same settings. I will try downloading them again.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  5. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    But is it like, a program that runs on its own, and you load audio files into it? Can you use it as a plugin with DAW's?

I know I could Google this but, yknow, it's fun to chat

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    The program runs on its own and you don't load files into it. You fire it up and "tell" it what speakers you want to use. For example I use a TV as my computer monitor so I can use the TV's speaker or I can use a separate 3-speaker system I bought. I could also use my studio monitors but I just changed them to my backup computer in a separate room.

Then whenever I play any audio file through my computer the program will render the audio the way I have it set, but as I said I can tweak it for different sounds. (I'm disappointed that those optional music presets don't seem to offer more than two settings although there are supposed to be seven.)

For example when I used Winamp I downloaded the Enhancer plugin which is something like this, but with many more presets. And that works only on files I play through Winamp.

It's not a plugin so I don't see how you can use it with DAWs but, as I said, once you use a DAW to make an audio file you can then use the program to play it back with those enhancements.