Funky Filthy Fretboard

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by offsetj, Nov 28, 2020.

1. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Corvette with "upgraded tuners.

Attached Files:

2. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I generally use blue painter's tape but didn't have any on the workbench that day.

3. PonyBoy

PonyBoy Squier Talker

Mar 3, 2020
    Massapequa, NY
    I was gifted an 1970's japanese guitar that was almost completely painted gold. Striped the body and painting it now. I was able to get the paint off of the neck and headstock as well as the maple fretboard, but the fretboard finish was iffy at best. So I stripped that and taped off the frets and am clear finishing it. so far looks great.

4. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Here's what I use for cleaning "fretcheese" off a neck:

Murphys.jpg

It's intended for fine wood furniture, just like your fretboard. ;) Mix with some water, use a toothbrush to clean the "cheese" and dry off with a clean towel. If it's a rosewood (or similar unfinished dark wood) board, let it dry and use Duncan 02 fretboard conditioner.

Shine, BlueSquirrel, Viking and 5 others like this.
  5. Birddog144

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    After the fretboard is clean, I mask off the frets and do the #0000 steel wool thing on them (assuming they don't need to be leveled/crowned). Then I can take the entire neck to my buffing wheel and shine them all up.

DSCN9093.JPG

DSCN9106.JPG

Montandy, Shine, drewcp and 5 others like this.
  6. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Man, some nasty stuff shown in this thread! Some of it looks "fungal" for sure! I have seen a certain creeping corrosion on older "department store" guitars like Harmony and Kay and also some older Japanese makes, but it seems like composition of fret metals ia better these days. Some of that junk reminds me of the old Guitar Player interview where Stephen Stills claimed he got his bass tone from soaking his strings in BBQ sauce! I think it was a hoax and he was just putting the interviewer on, but it got traction with some fools:

https://umgf.com/soaking-strings-in-barbecue-sauce-t42696.html

7. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Mount Airy, NC
    Interestingly, I was changing strings on my CV60s and MIM over the weekend. Wife has Orange oil on hand. So I checked internet and net said DON'T DO IT! and DO IT! So I did it. Cleaned and seemed to oil the fretboards on each pretty well. My thought would be to the OP to apply whatever you decided and keep applying till the wood comes back to life. Just put something on it! lol

8. Birddog144

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Montandy, Shine, drewcp and 5 others like this.
  9. offsetj

offsetj Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m a 100% mineral oil only guy for rosewood board hydration.

Why? Because it’s cheap.

Montandy, Shine, edro and 5 others like this.
  10. offsetj

offsetj Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    It cleaned up pretty well. I did a deep clean, but thankfully all the solder joints were good and it fired up with some GREAT sounds.

If I fall in love, I’ll crown the frets, but I just cleaned them up for now. 189B1359-688E-4EFD-9069-9B36632A5A57.jpeg

Montandy, hrstrat57, Shine and 8 others like this.
  11. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    USA
    +1 Painter's tape FTW

I use Guitar Honey on the FB, love that stuff

12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Great job ! Congrats!

It looks almost like new!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  13. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    "F-One oil for guitar fretboards" by Music Nomad works well too and a bottle lasts a very long time.

To be fair, I've read that in Spain, they sometimes use on classical guitar fretboards whatever oil they can get their hands on - be it oil from the kitchen such as sunflower, grapeseed or olive oil - and it works too.

I suppose the "trick" is to use very small quantities and wipe the oil off well.

14. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    USA
    I just saw F-One on amazon yesterday and ordered some. Curious to try it out and see what it's like. The reviews are very good, and no petroleums. Sounds good to me.

15. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Some of those are so nasty... Yuck...

16. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-holic

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I am so glad I keep mine in tip top shape and take care of them and everything I own. A guy came to buy my amp last weekend and as soon as I opened the garage door he said "I'll take it"! I said you havent even heard it yet! Take care of your stuff!!

17. edro

edro Squier Talker

I grab my mineral oil rag out of the jar, wipe fret spaces down. Then get the plastic bristle brush and go to town. Go up against frets too...both sides... Paper towel and do again if not clean... I have the sets of graduated ####s fret erasers, micro mesh paper, micro mesh pads, and 3M synthetic 0000 for the frets... 3M will get kank off frets quickly. I use fret erasers in order of magnitude to remove oxidation and spoof em down to glass...

When done, min oil rag again, then paper towel.

Mineral Oil:

• Almost every lemon oil, guitar oil, is actually mineral oil with scent and color. Just fact. Data sheets don’t lie.
    • I use Equate Food Grade Mineral Oil 16oz from Wally World, under two bucks, more than you’ll use in a lifetime.
    • Use what floats your boat, still mineral oil.

Oil Rag:

• Section of handkerchief the size of a pack of smokes with just a few DROPS of min oil, then roll back and forth in hands until spread evenly. That is enough for a long while. When you wipe a rose board fret space lightly and it looks wet, too much oil on rag.
    • You should have to use a bit of pressure with rag to see ANY wet on the wood. Work each fret space completely.
    • When done, wipe with clean dry paper towel. You are good for probably a year.
    • Never saturate a board with oil.
    • When new strings are on, I take my rag and run up/down once pinched on each string just to head off oxidation to an extent...
    Just my opinion...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  18. edro

edro Squier Talker

Kank is dead skin, finger oil, ear wax, chicken leg grease, etc. I get that off first, then jump on fret wire oxidation with the erasers and/or pads depending on level of oxidation.... Once they are glassed, the 3M synthetic 0000 every string change will quickly keep em smoof.

19. Kd5qld

Kd5qld Squier Talker

Oct 21, 2020
    Usa
    I bought a 1972 Yamaha red label acoustic a couple years ago for $30.
    Thing was filthy, bought some new strings and one of the kids and I took a couple hours and cleaned it up.
    So dirty I couldn't tell how beat up it was.
    Heavily played!
    But has unique sound and shape of the neck is something I never saw before or since.
    Some of my former students loved it

mb doug, offsetj and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  20. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @offsetj That must have been a tough project, nice job.

offsetj and mb doug like this.