Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
1. Polish frets
2. Clean fretboard and let dry
3. Use painters tape to protect nut, body and lighter side of neck
4. Apply Minwax stain to top of fretboard moving with grain. Per pen instructions wipe off excess after about 10-15 mins. with soft cloth.
5. Let dry and wipe off again.
6. After 24 hours, wipe off again and apply Fret One Oil. Wipe off excess.
I haven’t really had any issues with the stain rubbing off, but I just started using the process after reading these threads. Plan to do it often.

jordnot

Squier-Meister
May 1, 2020
EU
1. Polish frets
2. Clean fretboard and let dry
3. Use painters tape to protect nut, body and lighter side of neck
4. Apply Minwax stain to top of fretboard moving with grain. Per pen instructions wipe off excess after about 10-15 mins. with soft cloth.
5. Let dry and wipe off again.
6. After 24 hours, wipe off again and apply Fret One Oil. Wipe off excess.
I haven’t really had any issues with the stain rubbing off, but I just started using the process after reading these threads. Plan to do it often.

Thanks

What is the reason you apply oil afterwards? Just to make it less dry? Or for better protecting the paint?

Neophyte16

Squier-Meister
Jul 4, 2018
Philippines
Just thought I'd share this one with you guys. This Inca is my Robert Cray Model. No need to darken the FB because it came nice and dark like a Rosewood should be IMO...
The poop Furero isn't darkening very well. Hit it 2 times already. It does look better than it did but man it is not getting very dark. Very apparent next to the Cray Rosewood.
View attachment 168691

one reason that I don't want to buy the newer model guitar because they use PF boards. I'll just buy older guitars with dark rosewood fretboards.

jordnot

Squier-Meister
May 1, 2020
EU
To protect the wood. Not good for wood to dry out.

I have owned a bunch of guitars for a long time, and never have I oiled any of my fretboards, and never have I noticed any problems.

What kind of problems do you think of? Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curios. I am certainly no expert in these areas.

damarco

Jul 31, 2022
Germany
Hi folks, i also wanna darken the pau ferro fretboard of my guitar. The problem that i have is the part above the nut. They put a clear varnish on the headstock and also on the small part of pau ferro, that sits above the nut. Of course i would have to sand off the clear varnish from the wood, to allow to soak up an oil or a stain. But i'm not so sure if that is a good idea, because maybe the "open" edge on the varnish will become a weak spot in the future. Was it the same on your guitars?

Bob the builder

Squier-holic
Feb 25, 2017
Rhode Island USA
Hi folks, i also wanna darken the pau ferro fretboard of my guitar. The problem that i have is the part above the nut. They put a clear varnish on the headstock and also on the small part of pau ferro, that sits above the nut. Of course i would have to sand off the clear varnish from the wood, to allow to soak up an oil or a stain. But i'm not so sure if that is a good idea, because maybe the "open" edge on the varnish will become a weak spot in the future. Was it the same on your guitars?
You're overthinking it
Tape off what you don't want to sand for protection and go for it

Latest posts