Fretboard Darkening continues....

fadetoz

Dr. Squier
Jun 29, 2011
USA
Wow that was great. You're strong the whole length of the neck. It has a nice warm tone that lends itself to that melodic blues style, it sings without snapping. Well worth whatever you paid for it.
That was built piece by piece... Texas Special pups with a brass plate on the bridge pup. Me and my friend did the finish on the neck. Didn't turn out 100% as well as I hoped but being a relic it lends to the look. But the important part is it plays and sounds amazing. Was thinking about that yesterday. It wouldn't be worth selling for what it's really worth because it can't be replaced by anything under 3k i'm sure.

Last edited:

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
I used painters tape and did the sides
So I took your advice and used the tape on the sides but didn’t intentionally stain the sides, just protected them. The sides are already dark so I just did the top and it looks well-blended. Gonna let it sit and do a second coat tomorrow and then oil it on Monday. Looks much better dark.

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
This morning’s second coating of Ebony. This was easier than I thought. Good tip. Do you think I can oil it with F-One tonight or tomorrow? B477BDA8-82C0-4444-9939-6EDFF9FB6BB1.jpeg

StevieRayFan

Squier-Meister
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle, WA
Do you stain the edges of the fretboard as well as the top? And if so, how do you keep the stain off the neck?

TP

Hi, if you're using the stain marker I recommended in the OP https://amzn.to/2LRCqUu you don't have an issue with it running onto the neck. It's really like using a felt pen. The edge is already dark to that's not an issue. If I've gotten in a rush and smudged the neck, a quick wipe with my thumb and I'm back in business. The benefit of this is how it differs from the usual staining process with all the masking and cleanup.

Latest posts