Fretboard Darkening continues....

Dinomikesr

Squier-Nut
Nov 25, 2019
South-East
After @StevieRayFan showed us what he used to darken a fretboard I knew exactly the guitar I wanted to try it on. This is my cheap Fender DG-7 I've had 20 plus years and it has always had a faded fretboard on the upper frets. It would look better after I would clean it with Lem Oil but would soon got back to this chalky color. It's the guitar I play the most and even so I didn't have many photos of the fretboard but I did find one to compare it the darkening too. This is one coat after its been drying for about an hour. Looks promising. Thanks again for posting the idea @StevieRayFan .

98165795_3317647201580375_6678065612838666240_n.jpg

Dinomikesr

Squier-Nut
Nov 25, 2019
South-East
My Fender DG20ce is on the left and the DG7 I just stained is on the right. I just wanted to bring the rosewood back to what it was suppose to be. The 20 hasn't been lem-oiled in about a year. If I had oiled it yesterday you can see that they would both be about the same shade in color.

98887951_3322607974417631_7985054500660445184_n.jpg

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!

StevieRayFan

Squier-Meister
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle, WA
I give it a thorough wipe with isopropyl or naphtha. That is an ebony marker with one coat. I think it’d darken even more with a second.

The photo of mine above is the dark walnut marker if you want to make your fingerboard look like a dark rich rosewood.

I tried to ‘stress test’ it tonight; to see if I could rub, wipe, or sweat if off. Nope. It’s on to stay.

jordnot

Squier-Meister
May 1, 2020
EU
I give it a thorough wipe with isopropyl or naphtha. That is an ebony marker with one coat. I think it’d darken even more with a second.

The photo of mine above is the dark walnut marker if you want to make your fingerboard look like a dark rich rosewood.

I tried to ‘stress test’ it tonight; to see if I could rub, wipe, or sweat if off. Nope. It’s on to stay.

Very nice, for how long have you had it on?

What is the name of the ebony fretboard marker?

fadetoz

Dr. Squier
Jun 29, 2011
USA
Looks better but you're right, could use another coat. Which stain did you use?

I used the Ebony. Nothing wrong with Pau Furero but I don't understand why all the guitar makers are putting out these light colored fret boards. They end up looking cheap to me. I like a nice dark rosewood or better yet Ebony. If it's not dark it better just be a maple neck.

StevieRayFan

Squier-Meister
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle, WA
I used the Ebony. Nothing wrong with Pau Furero but I don't understand why all the guitar makers are putting out these light colored fret boards. They end up looking cheap to me. I like a nice dark rosewood or better yet Ebony. If it's not dark it better just be a maple neck.

That's a pretty guitar, and no offense, but it suffers with that lighter fingerboard. They had to go to the other woods when there was a prohibition on the harvest of rosewood, which has since been revised. That's left a bunch of guitars with middling fretboards. If I were you I'd let another coat soak in and even a third if necessary. That Pao Ferro can have a hard, almost plastic-like surface that takes a bit to darken. But you're definitely going in the right direction.

fadetoz

Dr. Squier
Jun 29, 2011
USA
That's a pretty guitar, and no offense, but it suffers with that lighter fingerboard. They had to go to the other woods when there was a prohibition on the harvest of rosewood, which has since been revised. That's left a bunch of guitars with middling fretboards. If I were you I'd let another coat soak in and even a third if necessary. That Pao Ferro can have a hard, almost plastic-like surface that takes a bit to darken. But you're definitely going in the right direction.
I totally agree. I prefer dark Ebony. I am planning to do some more coats. I wanted to test the guitar some to see if there were any other changes I wanted to do while the strings are off too.
This one on my black strat is a Mighty Mite Fender licensed neck I got because I wanted a real Ebony FB. To be honest it blows away this authentic Fender neck in every way.
MVIMG_20200114_231145.jpg

StevieRayFan

Squier-Meister
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle, WA
I totally agree. I prefer dark Ebony. I am planning to do some more coats. I wanted to test the guitar some to see if there were any other changes I wanted to do while the strings are off too.
This one on my black strat is a Mighty Mite Fender licensed neck I got because I wanted a real Ebony FB. To be honest it blows away this authentic Fender neck in every way.
View attachment 167893

That neck is gorgeous; it just says "play me daddy".

Latest posts