Franken Squier Build

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Angry Possum, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I just mounted the Pickguard, Bridge and input jack. Had to dremel the bottom of pickguard close to bridge. The Chinese pickguard didn't fit right. Ughhhh. Im staying with 2 Coats. It looks decent. I'm a lil lazy to do 3 coats. Besides I have 39 other guitars. So I ain't making it perfect. 2 it is....
    Mounting Franken Squier Neck as we speak.

20200225_180306.jpg

2. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  3. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  4. martinmj

martinmj Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2019
    UK
    see new update

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  5. martinmj

martinmj Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2019
    UK
    Well, I've had yet another look at the sliding pickup system I outlined, mainly because I wanted to put a new humbucker in. I removed the rails ( easy enough to do by just slackening the bottom string to give access for removal and unscrewing the two mounting screws). The original piece of spring steel was a bit of a pain, and not elegant enough in use. So I again raided my redundant camera parts box, and removed the pressure plate from an old Praktica film camera. These plates are aluminum alloy, and have two pieces of spring steel attached to the back which apply the pressure to keep the film square in the film plane. I cut the plate down to the width between the bellows rails, and then carefully shaped the ends of the spring steel so they curled around the rails from underneath. I decided since I was not bothered with the ability to adjust pickup height ( there is not massive clearance under the strings anyway) to bond the humbucker to the new cut-down plate. I applied the adhesive to the plate, in-situ, and then clamped the humbucker and plate together. When the bond was dry, I remounted the rails and humbucker. The difference is remarkable! The spring steel gentlypulls the pickup firmly to the rails, but the assembly of plate and humbucker slide positively and effortlessly the full range of the rails.
    I am now going to make another plate with a slightly wider so that the plate rests on the top side of the rails and probably fashion a couple of spring steel clips from another pressure plate so that any single coil will just clip in so I can test out new pickups quickly.