Franken Squier Build

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Angry Possum, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Rockycreeker

Rockycreeker New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I have the twin of that guitar. Mine was built in Indonesia in 04. Navy blue top finish top loading bridge, very light, thinner body almost feels like a baby Strat. Nice medium jumbo frets with zero fret wear.Got mine for $50 in a pawn shop several years ago. It is plywood as there is some finish knocked off mine near the rear strap button. The top loading bridge makes 10s feel like 9s. The tuners aren’t great but once this guitar is tuned, it stays in tune!

Attached Files:

2. martinmj

martinmj Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2019
    UK
    Interesting idea, but sliders don't need to be over-complicated, and I created my sliding pickup using the cut-down rails from a surplus 35mm set of camera bellows. Screwed the top end firmly into the cavity, and then depending if you want height adjustment on the pickup, you can either put a piece of thin steel sheet under the rails, and screw the pickup and springs to that, making it height-adjustable. If you want to just experiment with a pickup for comparison I use an elastic band looped over the rails, and over the pickup + cover ends. That way you can slant the pickup as well. Since I don't want to interfere with the guitar's electronics when adding a test pickup, I devised a canister from a tablets pot, put a jack-socket one end, volume control at the other, and soldered in a terminal block. That way I can wire in a pickup in 30 seconds, test it, and return the guitar back to its usual state with sliding humbucker, split coils, and a Roland GK-3 integrated pickup and controls.

Regarding the Indonesian body and what to do, this slider has a body that came from some Strat-o-like the name of which i've forgotten. The paint was damaged, so I sanded it back to the original wood using an orbital sander. I tried the blow-torch method, but although the paint responded, the resin body primer, which was at least 2mm thick ,did not budge! It took hours of sanding, but I ended up with a very lightweight beautifully-figured wooden body-lightweight I suspect because of the weight of the resin removed. Then I just teak-oiled it to enhance the grain, and fitted a plain maple neck that I also finished with teak oil. Worked well. I have dabbled with some guitar body painting, creating a red/yellow/gold sunburst with a guitar body i reshaped to resemble my long-departed Framus Hollywood ( with slider!). However rather than using guitar paint, which would not give me the effect i wanted ( I discussed it with a number of suppliers), I ended up using Wilko spraypaint at £5 a can, blending red, yellow and gold-plus a bit of yellowy-green car paint spray used on a Honda I once owned.Then sprayed with umpteen layers of Wilko gloss lacquer AFTER the paint had hardened thoroughly. I learned that the hard way!
    Have fun with the modding....

3. drewdt3

drewdt3 New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    congleton
    I think Doug Wilkes has the patent for the sliding pickups. He sold one of his stats to Dave Gilmour. (Recently sold at auction). You should make some tuning keys that look like bolts!

4. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Yes!!Finish makers..im a watch this coz paint retarded <

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

please show us - the teak oil one ! !

Mr Bones and Angry Possum like this.
  6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Can you post a photo please.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I like this guys spray painting rig for painting a guitar. And good video in my opinion.

Brocephus and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  9. Kenneth Mountain

I watched this guy - he's great at it !

Rodiebobw and Angry Possum like this.
  10. Cherokee

Cherokee <i>formerly dannyvawn</i>

Apr 28, 2010
    Isle of Lucy
    I had one like it. Got it from my father (Richard). I think he got it at a store (pawnshop). I thought it was garbage (junk)

11. martinmj

martinmj Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2019
    UK
    Hi again.
    As requested a few piccies of the Teakoiled 'Start' with sliding pickup etc, and other converted with slider using the same 'system'. Plus my quickchange pickup tester with jacksocket and volume control, and finally a couple of shots of my first attempt at painting, with my Framus Hollywood 'homage'. R DSCF6297.JPG DSCF6297.JPG DSCF6229.JPG DSCF6229.JPG DSCF6297.JPG DSCF6229.JPG eplica it is not!

Attached Files:

12. Kenneth Mountain

Sweet ! thank you !

Angry Possum and Mr Bones like this.
  13. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal
    If you EVER see any Squier with a SOLID BLACK Squier logo with NO outline (gold or silver), you know it is a Laminated body (it is NOT "Plywood"). It was the standard we started at Fender in 1986 (production started in 1986) for the Young Chang made Squier II models. NOTE: there were NEVER any Japanese made laminated body Squier's of any sort. Young Chang was contracted because they are Korea's premier piano maker, on par with Steinway and others from Europe. Grand and Baby Grand pianos are made with "Laminated Musical Instrument Woods" and the same laminations "YC" used for Grand Piano's was used for those Squier II's. Later, Kortek (aka Cort) also made Laminated body Squiers, namely the Bullet and Bullet Special models, those last made at their factory in Indonesia. It's very easy to spot the Lamincated body Squiers: 1) if it's a Sunburst the "contour" cutouts are completely sprayed back, just compare it to a Japanese (Fujigen Gakki), Shaehan (Korea) or Sammick (Korea) aka Vester too, Kortek (Korea) Squier and Squier Pro Tones, USA or Mexican sunburst finish. There can't be a "wash" (translucent) Laminated body Squier because you'd see the lamination layers. 2) 80% of the Laminated body Squiers or all models were finished in a solid color for obvious reasons. So to look for signs of the Laminated wood, take the neck off and look at the screw holes in the body which "through drilled" (never threaded) with a bore light or a pencil beam flashlight and you will clearly see the lamination layers, there were something like 25 separate layers. 3) If the Squier logo is solid black it's a Laminated Body.

Now if you want to cast aspersions on those Laminated bodied Squier's, at least the ones made thru 1999 (I retired from Fender at the end of 1999) remember that $10,000 Grand and Baby Grand Pianos are made of the exact SAME musical instrument Laminated Alder and Basswood material. They were NOT made with the same crappy "plywood" your garage is made of.

Yes, much of the hardware and PuP's on the Squier II, Bullets, etc., was low quality, but you can and should replace that and have a wonderful sounding Squier.

Attached Files:

14. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Those tuner covers come off easily. A tiny dab of silver, ceramic grease on each gear makes them MUCH better tuners. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018PSASU/?tag=squiertalk-20

15. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I guess I'm in with you two. I posted pics of my laminated body Bullet Strat awhile back. I think they called it "berry blue". Very dark blue. It looks black if not taken in good light.

Mine is a 2004 but it doesn't have a swimming pool route. It's routed for SSS. Someone else had one of these on here because we spoke about the flaws in the hardtail bridges that came on them. Very badly designed. The strings go through the front of the bridge and lift the back of the saddles up while pushing the front of the saddles down. The strings also hit the intonation adjustment screws. Which was another problem. I was going to buy a new bridge assembly but a decent one with offset intonation screws cost more than I paid for the guitar. So, I did some measuring and comparisons and drilled the bridge and body out, put a set of Tele ferrules in back and made it a string through setup. This made a noticeable improvement in sustain and fullness and the bridge buzzing went away. I played it a while and put it away until recently when my grand daughter said she was taking up guitar at school. She said she liked the dark blue one. So I got it ready for her. I rewired it like most of my other Strats with a master tone and volume. New CTS pots but kept the original switch because the bodies on these guitars are super thin. Thinner than my Squier basswood Bullet Strats. If you put your fingers around and feel the thickness of the wood in the control cavity it's about the thickness of two U.S. quarters.

Anyway, I wanted it to play nice for her so I gave it the whole shebang. Fret level/crown and polish. Fret ends smoothed. All setup nice. Someone mentioned these guitars were light. That's no joke. This guitar probably weighs about 3-4 pounds. But it plays so nice. Low action, very resonant. It's a joy to play. And like someone said, once the strings are stretched in, it rarely goes out of tune. Unless I'm making crazy bends. And it has that thin, fast Bullet neck I love. Now, I don't want to get rid of it anymore! If another came up for sale at a reasonable price I would probably buy it. Actually, Squier re-issued these not too long ago. I have only seen them online so, I don't know how the bodies and bridges are made. I doubt if they are laminate bodies though.

16. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    My 2001 Indonesian Squier has the string thru the back of bridge also. I actually like that idea, the string ball doesnt get stuck in trem block if u break a string or change a string. Much nicer IMO.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Kenneth Mountain and Rollmeaway like this.
  17. Casbah

Casbah Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2020
    Nashville
    Yep! Just learned this myself, the hard way... I had used a heat gun on a plywood body before I read this post. I got bubbles all over the area where I used it. Luckily it's on the back. I switched to a sanding belt to handle the rest. Sage advice... Thanks Jurny! You saved my build.

18. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    So today i felt like accomplishing what i intended to do in this thread. I just sanded down the Squier Indo Plywood body, I think i may just use these blue pickup covers I bought from China for $1.00 or so, for 3 of them.

20200209_143419.jpg 20200209_142540.jpg 20200209_142559.jpg 20200209_142530.jpg

Squittolo and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Im not sure about the moving pickup rig just yet, let's see how the paint comes out first.
    I ordered the lego wheels from ebay. If I choose to do so, I'll use the bridge pickup for the sliding rig.

20200202_150151.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and Rodiebobw like this.