Found a sweet P90 machine

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DrBeGood, May 20, 2021.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Evewryone I asked about it doesn't have a clue where it fits in Epiphone's catalog.

It is a 2018 plateless bolt-on neck LP Special in a surprising accurate TV Yellow color with filled grain and all. The only other Epiphone with that kind of bolt arrangement is the 2017 LP Studio LT I believe.

Anyways ... for now it's 1150km away and I'll put my hands on it 36 days from now when I drive by, going East to the summer cottage. Pictures from 15 year old seller.

headstock.JPG

serial.JPG

bolt on.JPG

color.JPG

guitar.JPG

2. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Wow, I love the finish. Much better than the opaque finish on the 2020’s, IMO.

3. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you look at the TV Yellow finish on the Gibsons, including the original 50s ones, it is a solid color paint, and not transparent.

4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't recall ever seeing one with a bolt-on neck and a tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece, instead of the cheaper wraparound bridge, like on the MF exclusive ones.

5. MLHull

MLHull Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2020
    TX
    Sweet looking piece of axe.

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a good looking guitar. Nice find!

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Fretboard is really dark, could it be ebony ? That would be a nice surprise !

It is going to replace my 2020 LP Special which is for sale.

8. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Aside: You know the wrap arounds are not good at intonation, not all of them, that and the issue of compensation of the tunamatic. Which i dont think many people know about.

9. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    That Gibson with the p90s!

10. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    A wraparound isn't cheaper than a Tune-O-Matic, just simplier. I never had a problem getting perfect intonation with them, you have to learn to be patient and tweak it properly. It's been and still is used on thousands of guitars including high end Gibson. If it was that bad it wouldn't even be available today. I love it's minimalism.

What is the issue of compensation of the tunamatic ?
    Tuna matic ... new kind of fish tool ?

mb doug, fattboyzz, Shine and 4 others like this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I am exchanging with Epiphone on the nature of that animal.

12. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    That's a looker!

Hope you find out the details on that one. I wonder if it's a refinish? Either way it's a beautiful guitar. Those are players too! Mine (a cherry red special with p90s) is not as nice as that one, but it plays and sounds great..

13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Seller says it hasn't been stripped. I believe him.

I have two of those little Special 1 LPs and love them. Also a 2020 Yellow Special with set neck.

14. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    That's really cool. I didn't know Epiphone had a TV Yellow like that, but there's a lot I don't know so that's not surprising.

15. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I think it's interesting that the 22nd fret is on a fretboard overhang. Why not just make a 22-fret neck and route the pocket to match that? "Tis' a puzzlement" says the King.

Leo Jazzmaster and drewcp like this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think the overhang is normal on the bolt-on Epi's. Maybe I'm misremembering

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.
  17. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Good point. Maybe it's a cost cutting move like Fender did when they changed the MIM Player series from 21 to 22 frets. I would imagine it would cost a lot of time and money to reconfigure the cnc machines to cut the pocket for a 22 fret neck without the overhang than just adding the overhang to the 21 fret neck fretboard. It also means they can use existing player series bodies with the new necks without modification.

But now that I look up the specs for other Epiphone LP Specials, I see that they also have 22 frets.

18. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    All true. Equally true, though, is that not a few players still prefer the single piece ones.

I do. Have had an currently have both. To me the sound and 'feel' of a Junior requires it.

Now, could I pick out which was which blindfolded?

I expect I'd fail that test. As I would choosing blindfolded a single PUP Jr from a dual PUP 'Special," a fixed from a bolt on neck, or so many of things we credit for the sound and feel of a regarded-as-a-classic guitar.

-don

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.
  19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yep they do, in their new Inspired by Gibson line.

2020-11-15.jpg
    On the LP Special 1
    Neck pup height.jpg

20. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    All MIA 22 fret Fenders also have the overhang, and always have, since the Am Std was introduced in 1986. It was done so the location of the pickups wouldn't change and alter the tone, especially the neck pickup on a Strat, which is in a sweet spot related to the scale length.

grizzlewulf and Leo Jazzmaster like this.