Food for thought

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Oct 16, 2021.

1. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    With my poor health, and difficulty getting out and about, I do any discretionary shopping online now, but, even then, I try to support small businesses with my online purchases. Before, when I was healthier, I would always buy local whenever I could. Every guitar I have, except for my Squier Teles, which came from MF on sale in the summer of 2020, during the height of the lockdown, came from a local dealer, as have all my amps. Even my pedals all come from small businesses on Ebay, rather from Amazon. For all of you in good health and with ample trnsportation, it's good karma, and good for your community, to support local businesses when possible. That's what a sense of community is, everyone supporting one another, which we're losing in this global economy, and internet dominated life. I buy my food and other neccessities from Walmart, because, with my limited income, I have to make every dollar go as far as possible, but at least they do employ a lot of local people. This sign kind of puts it all in perspective, IMO 2021-10-16 (2).png

Eddd, kniah, driver8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    Being disabled with a chronic health condition I can definitely relate to your post. I try to support small business wherever possible, not only locally but online through eBay, reverb, etc. It's always someone's local, if not mine. ;-) And sometimes you have no choice but to buy from the big retailers, it's just the way it is in this global online world and economy. And a lot of the time on Amazon you're supporting a small business that's just using Amazon as a storefront and for fulfillment, and that's only increasing. So that's something also to keep in mind. It's just the way it is now, and we can only do our best.

DougMen and StormCaster like this.
  3. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Sorry your health is bad mine is also not good. Hope you get better and yes I agree very important to shop local and also I try to buy as many American made products as I can afford so we can keep some jobs here for the next generation. Cheers

DougMen and driver8 like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I realize that. I see that when I do buy on Amazon, that Amazon is often just the sales and shipping agent. And, even when Amazon is the seller, they do employ a lot of people, although apparently they are treated very poorly

Eddd and driver8 like this.