Foiled A Fraud

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Twostratsfornow, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    On Tuesday, while shovelling snow from the driveway of the (more) senior lady next door, she came out to wait for a taxi ride to the bank. We began to chat, and without going into detail, I gleaned information that indicated to me she was being scammed for what was supposed to be pre-payment for the taxes on her randomly selected windfall of 1.8 million dollars and a new Mercedes, under the guise of a well known entity that I won’t name here, so to not besmirch the name of the legitimate company. I gently explained to her that I believed she was the victim of fraud, but she wouldn’t hear of it. I excused myself on the premise that I was finished shovelling and needed to use my washroom. I phoned the police and quickly relayed my suspicion. The dispatcher did not hesitate and sent an officer right away. In fact, the taxi my neighbour ordered arrived before the officer did by about sixty seconds and I notified dispatch. I was still talking to them when the cruiser whipped past my house lights a blazing. He stopped her to explain his concern, at which time she was adamant she was doing the right thing.
    While interviewing me later, the responding officer indicated that he attended the bank and was able to have the bank manager deny the transfer of funds she wished to make until confirmation of a legitimate destination could be confirmed. Sadly, I also learned that she was already taken for a substantial amount that she had in another bank. The officer didn’t disclose the amount because of course it’s not my business.
    Today my neighbour asked me into her home to talk. She told me that she now understands that she was being manipulated and thanked me for stepping in. Without prompting she told me the amount transferred from the other bank was $27,000! Fortunately, that bank was able to immediately recover $7000 on her behalf, and freeze the other $20,000 at the bank it was destined for before it could be withdrawn. I’m confident it will be returned to her in due course. The police continue to investigate. I’m very glad that I was in the right place at the right time to be able to intercede, and applaud my local police service for its unhesitant response. Please remind everyone you know, particularly seniors, that if it seems too good to be true it likely is, get other’s opinions at the slightest hint of suspicious activity, and if the (suspected) fraudster counsels secrecy, as in this case, run in the other direction.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  2. Clockwise

Clockwise Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2021
    Atlanta
    Ho. Lee. Crap. Good on you, sir! I got a message from one of my patients last week cancelling her appointment in a panic because someone stole $30k from her account. No doubt there was some sort of scam that she fell for. Sadly, it's all too common.

3. EqNeal

EqNeal Squier-Meister

Dec 29, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Way to go! Having good neighbors is a blessing and I'm glad you were in the right place at the right time to help.

4. Twostratsfornow

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh man, sorry to hear that! Thanks for the kudos.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  6. Twostratsfornow

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Too strong a word, but thank you.

7. Mojotone

Mojotone Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2021
    Chateauguay, QC
  8. Hotrails15

Hotrails15 Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2019
    North Carolina
  9. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

You get the good-neighbor of the year award. Especially for taking it a step further when told otherwise. Maybe she'll return your good deed and there will be NGD under your avatar!

10. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I saw an elderly lady trying to buy like 8 or 100 dollar gift cards, for the Steam game platform, in a Walmart once. She didn't believe me when I tried to help, stating they were for her husband overseas. She said "Oh, it's OK, I know him" or something like that.

I was not able to help, but store policy let her only buy one card.

I'm glad you were able to actually get something done with that one.

11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    So glad you were there, alert, and interested enough to act.

Scams are everywhere. Being “elderly,” Jan and I get almost endless calls trying to scam us. Information fishing.

Yesterday it was one supposedly from a large vendor thanking us for making a purchase of x dollars. I hung up. But it was designed to sound legitimate. To excite me to say “no, I didn’t make such a purchase,” with the fishing scheme to naturally follow,

Similar emails come in regularly. Some supposedly. connected to my (long ago cancelled) Facebook account.

phony banks. Phony government agencies. On and on.

We generally do not even answer the phone any longer unless we know the caller.

And what is being done about all this by our supposed “protectors”? Nothing.

Again, so happy to hear about your caring and its good effect!

-don

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  12. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Congrats Twos, you are now in the running for ST Man of the Year Award! Just forward $500 entry fee and we will file your application immediately.

Also, what are you buying with the reward?

13. Twostratsfornow

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    QUOTE="duceditor, post: 1136686, member: 7916"]So glad you were there, alert, and interested enough to act.

Scams are everywhere. Being “elderly,” Han and I get almost endless calls trying to scam us. Information fishing.

Yesterday it was one supposedly from a large vendor thanking us for making abpurchase of x dollars. I hung up. But it was designed to sound legitimate. To excite me to say “no, I didb’t make such a purchase,” with the fishing scheme to naturally follow,

Similar emails come in regularly. Some supposedly. connected to my (long ago cancelled) Facebook account.

phony banks. Phony government agencies. On and on.

We generally do not even answer the phone any longer unless we know the caller.

And what is being done about all this by our supposed “protectors”? Nothing.

Again, so happy to hear about your caring and its good effect!

-don[/QUOTE]

Thank you Don, and everyone else, for the kind words.

14. Twostratsfornow

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Lol! An air guitar!

15. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-holic

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
  16. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Well done sir!

In my profession as a cybersecurity guy, these scams are all too common. We have some tools to help fight against (a losing fight as we are outgunned and outnumbered!) network attacks. This is an example of social engineering, and no amount of tech can stop it. Only a well informed public that is skeptical of everything can do that. Unfortunately, our elderly are particularly vulnerable.