Finishing pine,...

SoundDesign

Squier-holic
Mar 8, 2016
Great. White. North.
Well I sand to 400, then use a water-based dye and then start applying Tru-oil. A heavy coat then a few thin coats then lightly wet sand and continue the process until it's built up to the sheen you want. I have a couple of the StewMac dyes and would use "amber" with a drop or two of "medium brown" in it. The Tru-oil will add a little amber of its own.

Afrika61

Squier-holic
Zinsser has an aerosol shellac, I’m not certain how amber it is
Good luck on your project, that’s a nice piece, beautiful grain
I wish I was getting that particular one, but it's the stock photo at their web site.
Still, if I get a nice looking grain, this one will be done up in a lightish amber and black pg to simulate a Black Gard Tele look.
1657120219107.jpeg

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
Got a pine body on order and I'm looking to do it up in either black or amber.
Anyone know of a good tutorial for finishing a pine body?
View attachment 237316

I use Doug Fir and Redwood, and have long since known I can't rattle-can worth a crap, so I exclusively use oil and wipe-on poly. My oils are boiled linseed, Danish, both natural and Golden Oak, and Teak. That body is much clearer than the wood I use, I love me the knots and interesting grain.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Got a pine body on order and I'm looking to do it up in either black or amber.
Anyone know of a good tutorial for finishing a pine body?
View attachment 237316

I wish I was getting that particular one, but it's the stock photo at their web site.
Still, if I get a nice looking grain, this one will be done up in a lightish amber and black pg to simulate a Black Gard Tele look.
View attachment 237356

What's the website? That looks like a cool amalgamation of a Strat, Tele and Jazzmaster styling! 😍 Perhaps a little bit of reversed Explorer too.

Afrika61

Squier-holic
What's the website? That looks like a cool amalgamation of a Strat, Tele and Jazzmaster styling! 😍 Perhaps a little bit of reversed Explorer too.
Oh, I ordered that Meteora body from Rosser Guitar Bodies. The have an acct on fleabay:

Quite a few members here have purchased from Rosser in the past and everyone that Has, has recommended Rosser. As far as fleabay goes, they respond quickly and arn't stingy with information. Case in point is the control cavity: I wanted to know the depth as That will detemin what switch I can use and what options I have for different wiring schemes. Rosser got back to me within a few hours with the depth measurement and I now have the rest of the parts on order.

Afrika61

Squier-holic
I use Doug Fir and Redwood, and have long since known I can't rattle-can worth a crap, so I exclusively use oil and wipe-on poly. My oils are boiled linseed, Danish, both natural and Golden Oak, and Teak. That body is much clearer than the wood I use, I love me the knots and interesting grain.
Funny, I like the look of grain myself when it's pronounced, but sometimes it doesn't Quite work out like I want. My last offset is a good case in point, the front is okay but nothing special:
1657906770068.jpeg
And you can tell that it was made with two pieces at least😁.
Compare That to the backside though:
1657906891776.jpeg
The backside is more interesting to my eye and it's much harder to see where the seams are. Other than that one minor thing though, it has been a blast to play and rock stable as far as tune goes: so I couldn't ask for more from the builder, which in this Case is Saylor Guitars, another great company to deal with BTW.

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
Funny, I like the look of grain myself when it's pronounced, but sometimes it doesn't Quite work out like I want. My last offset is a good case in point, the front is okay but nothing special:
View attachment 238033
And you can tell that it was made with two pieces at least😁.
Compare That to the backside though:
View attachment 238039
The backside is more interesting to my eye and it's much harder to see where the seams are. Other than that one minor thing though, it has been a blast to play and rock stable as far as tune goes: so I couldn't ask for more from the builder, which in this Case is Saylor Guitars, another great company to deal with BTW.

This is the direction I often go...

20201113_184658.jpg

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Oh, I ordered that Meteora body from Rosser Guitar Bodies. The have an acct on fleabay:

Quite a few members here have purchased from Rosser in the past and everyone that Has, has recommended Rosser. As far as fleabay goes, they respond quickly and arn't stingy with information. Case in point is the control cavity: I wanted to know the depth as That will detemin what switch I can use and what options I have for different wiring schemes. Rosser got back to me within a few hours with the depth measurement and I now have the rest of the parts on order.

Ok, took a look at Rosser. Turns out they've been hit by same mistake many Sellers on eBay does. For some odd stupid reason, Hawai'i is NOT automatically lumped together with the other States in the USA. It's treated as a foreign country by eBay for decades, nevermind the fact of today's different shipping realities. I actually confirmed with each shipping companies that they DO ship to Hawai'i and at same rates as any other interstate shipping...ESPECIALLY if they pass off the package to USPS as final shipping handler.

I'll send a message to them to check/add Hawai'i in their shipping list.

Afrika61

Squier-holic
Ok, took a look at Rosser. Turns out they've been hit by same mistake many Sellers on eBay does. For some odd stupid reason, Hawai'i is NOT automatically lumped together with the other States in the USA. It's treated as a foreign country by eBay for decades, nevermind the fact of today's different shipping realities. I actually confirmed with each shipping companies that they DO ship to Hawai'i and at same rates as any other interstate shipping...ESPECIALLY if they pass off the package to USPS as final shipping handler.

I'll send a message to them to check/add Hawai'i in their shipping list.
An alternative to Rosser is Saylor Guitars, they did the offset body above. They're a touch more expensive but he had no problem shipping internationally to be. And like Rosser, saylor is generous with their advice on prepping and finishing, etc.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
An alternative to Rosser is Saylor Guitars, they did the offset body above. They're a touch more expensive but he had no problem shipping internationally to be. And like Rosser, saylor is generous with their advice on prepping and finishing, etc.
Ok, I'll look into Saylor too. Always good to have options and alternatives. I think it's bs for eBay to default Hawaii as an international destination than a domestic destination for US sellers or those with US warehouses.

Latest posts