Finding Amp Volume Potentiometer Replacement

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Oldguitarguy, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-holic

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    I have a Fender FM 65R amp that sounds awesome on the drive channel but it’s loud. It’s almost tameable if I turn the drive up and volume down but the volume pot is a little staticy at low volume and the volume goes from low to high in 1/8 turn. I cleaned the pots with Deoox and it helped but the volume pot is still a little noisy and has the same ratio problem. I took the picture of the pot below. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement 100k pot that will fit and has an audio taper? FA077328-8E47-45B9-B3B9-5E3A385B9EE0.jpeg

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't know about that specific part, but Amplified Parts has always had odd parts when I've needed them, or MCM (now called Newark)

mb doug and Oldguitarguy like this.
  3. brodg68

brodg68 Squier-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    Sorry I couldn't find the parts manual.
    - I am a frequenter of: Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, Tayda, and Newark for parts
    - Looks fairly standard for a PCB mount from the pic but a little mechanical measuring goes a long way - especially on the length of the shaft

Oldguitarguy, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You may want to try a larger value pot to give you more sweep before the volume jumps up so much.

Oldguitarguy and mb doug like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

That's a linear taper pot. Get an audio taper pot for the replacement, same resistance as the original 100 kohms, it'll be much more controllable. I'm pretty sure amp makers who use linear volume pots do it so the amp is really loud at low numbers, so it seems powerful.

Oldguitarguy, mb doug and drewcp like this.
  6. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    mb doug, Viking and Oldguitarguy like this.
  7. Oldguitarguy and mb doug like this.
  8. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    For those that might be interested in lower volume and retaining tone, check out these YouTube videos:

Interesting idea.

9. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    drewcp likes this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Oldguitarguy and drewcp like this.
  11. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Looks like the shaft on the one I bought will likely be a little short if I install the pins in the right spot on the board. I might run some wire from the pot tags and put them in the board slots. I might also need to find a way to secure the pot mechanically because it has no bracket. I think I can make it work ;) Anything to get tone at low volume. :D

https://www.mojotone.com/Pedals-Par...ong-11-5mm-Split-Shaft-PC-Mount-Potentiometer